What do you think of Ed's VHIII live tone here in 1998?

• Thread starter Thread starter harddriver
  • Start date Start date
Still regret not seeing them on that tour. Would have been my only chance down here.

I have a feeling Ed cranked the master volume and barely cracked the preamp gain is my theory on how he used the 5150's just for dry then to the H&H V800 for the wet. I found a 1997 EVH rig layout showing this and I tried to post it but it would not post.
There's plenty of settings online from Ed on his Peavey 5150's and he cranked the gain, around 7. Here's one of them. And pretty much how I sat mine back in the day, I bumped the mids a little more.
789106378_PeaveyEVHSettings.jpg.4038724530ca74dc9106d8b3a23ada54.jpg

There's plenty of settings online from Ed on his Peavey 5150's and he cranked the gain, around 7. Here's one of them. And pretty much how I sat mine back in the day, I bumped the mids a little more.
789106378_PeaveyEVHSettings.jpg.4038724530ca74dc9106d8b3a23ada54.jpg
It's interesting how this setting is nearly spot on to the EVH SLO setting I got from the Soldano forum. Mids might have been a little higher.

Why the heck would he scoop the mids? I keep it above noon and back trble down before mids

Why the heck would he scoop the mids? I keep it above noon and back trble down before mids
His guitar, pup and speakers are contributing as well to bring in mids...has too because scooped isn't how I would describe Ed's tone but funny where he sat the mid eq on the OG.

I think I ran my mids on 3.5 or 4 but then again I was a diehard Duncan JB user in my guitars and my tone was mid heavy.

When you listen back VH did turn into Van Hagar and with Cherone they hinted towards Extreme on some songs.

Lets face it, he was trying to come up with a tone similar but better than the Slo 100 he had. I alsways think mine is VH I tone but better :geek:

Lets face it, he was trying to come up with a tone similar but better than the Slo 100 he had. I alsways think mine is VH I tone but better :geek:
If Peavey would just redo the OG with a few tweaks ala master volume - no reason that can't make that better so instead of getting fizz then your head ripped off to get the goods, some of past our prime or bedroom players could enjoy the thing again. I'd do a few other things like bias points, removable cable. Still my second all time fav amp. If the MV was usable, take my money but who knows with Peavey. Crazy, at one time they had an amp line to rival most anyone from the Classic, VTM (another they should redo) JSX, 5150's...great stuff from HP before he lost it.

These were his settings on the original Peavey in 1992…

View attachment 127228
holy shit, that is exactly how i set mine when it was my main amp ages ago. i've never seen that. i was more into the swedish metal guys who used these, over EVH when i actually had a 5150. Now i gotta go try and find an old picture of mine with those settings.

Back