What is the best 80s hard rock bedroom setup?

• Thread starter Thread starter jchrisf
  • Start date Start date
I would consider a JJ Jr. Nice sounding smaller amps, a bit of versatility and a (supposedly) good line out, and an internal load. Yeah it's not necessarily a JCM thing, but the features are what I would think make a good office tube amp.

I just sold a JJ Jr and while it does sound really good, the volume taper goes from nothing to WTF very quickly. Hard to set it up for low volume in my opinion. I have a Bogner 3534 now and the loop master works incredibly well. I guess you could put something in the loop of the JJ Jr with a volume knob and get the same results.

I don't understand the point of buying an expensive 50 watt tube amp, just to run it into an attenuator and then a IR. Before all that, I'd get an Axe FX or Kemper if I wanted big tones at a bedroom/quiet recording volume.
You may be right.. but I've had a Kemper and didn't like it. Maybe I didn't know how to use it but out of the box it sounded awful to me. I've had about everything else but the Axe FX so maybe that is where I need to look next. But so far nothing sounds as good as tubes.

I wonder why they don't make more awesome sounding 1-5 watt amps that can get that cranked tone at lower volumes? Maybe it is impossible and that is why I am considering a 50 watter. I've heard they usually sound bigger and better at bedroom volumes.

I just sold a JJ Jr and while it does sound really good, the volume taper goes from nothing to WTF very quickly. Hard to set it up for low volume in my opinion. I have a Bogner 3534 now and the loop master works incredibly well. I guess you could put something in the loop of the JJ Jr with a volume knob and get the same results.

Good to know. I don't have enough experience to know the taper. I mainly thought a lot of the features would make it good for him.

I think the Splawn Supersport could be a good fit with the needs, mine can sound decent at low volumes. Scott does make a combo, but I think that for the OP is looking more old school voiced than the SS is voiced for.

I

Good to know. I don't have enough experience to know the taper. I mainly thought a lot of the features would make it good for him.

I think the Splawn Supersport could be a good fit with the needs, mine can sound decent at low volumes. Scott does make a combo, but I think that for the OP is looking more old school voiced than the SS is voiced for.

I
I had a street rod for a short time and it sounded awesome but there was something about the tone that would get on my nerves after awhile.. If I ever get a place where I can play really loud and have a lot of amps I will definately have the Competition head to scratch the itch that it does well.

I've heard the Friedman Runt 50 is the perfect 2204 and some.

Have you considered a FleshLight?

I hear the tone is to die for.

I wonder why they don't make more awesome sounding 1-5 watt amps that can get that cranked tone at lower volumes? Maybe it is impossible and that is why I am considering a 50 watter. I've heard they usually sound bigger and better at bedroom volumes.
I haven't had luck with the low wattage amps, still too loud to open up all the way for bedroom use (even 1W).

But yes, on the flip side I've found some higher watt amps do sound bigger and better for bedroom volume. While I am far happier with my pedal setup than the Fractals, Katanas, etc. I've owned (and I mean WAY happier, the tone kills them), my runner up would be my old BE100 running at a very low volume (no attenuation). I'm not as current on attenuation as I gave up years ago on that, but I'd definitely explore some of those options guys have given here before I'd ever go modeler again.

Last edited:
Finally stumbled on to something really old school and simple...stacked OD's and an EQ. I can pair an SD1 with a BE OD or EVH 5150 OD, then an EQ (MXR 10 band is my favorite), and I've got the core tone and it sounds amazing. It has to be all 3 pedals too, it doesn't come alive until they are all working together. MXR Stereo Chorus and a Carbon Copy round out the chain, though some guys might want reverb added (I run the CC as a mild slapback and that's all I need). All run into a small clean practice amp.
This is almost what I'm doing exactly. Except my ODs are a Koko Boost and a Bad Monkey but everything I have exactly + Hardware RV7 reverb pedal.

Into my 50w Rectoverb that I got for $490. Into a Mesa 4x12 cab. Is that overkill for a bedroom rocker? Maybe. But I can use the Output and Master to get what I want for quiet times. But man - when you want to crank it up and get those tan pants moving you need bigger iron, bigger glass and a bigger projection area.

Conversely, I also have 1 watt Blackheart Killer Ant. Cool for what it does but no headroom and no pedals.

I think the Katana would be a good choice but I'm only saying that based on what others have said - never played one.

I also have a Peavey Vypyr tube 60. Fun little amp and you can plug in headphones. This is old but I just pasted in another thread so I have it handy.

80's guy as well, I just do the bedroom setup these days as well, my gigging days are over. Dokken and Ratt type tone is pretty much the standard for me. I went down the path for awhile of all the modern tech like modelers...never satisfied in the long term. Tried low wattage amps, never gave me the goods (some 100W amps at whisper volume honestly sounded better).

Finally stumbled on to something really old school and simple...stacked OD's and an EQ. I can pair an SD1 with a BE OD or EVH 5150 OD, then an EQ (MXR 10 band is my favorite), and I've got the core tone and it sounds amazing. It has to be all 3 pedals too, it doesn't come alive until they are all working together. MXR Stereo Chorus and a Carbon Copy round out the chain, though some guys might want reverb added (I run the CC as a mild slapback and that's all I need). All run into a small clean practice amp.

I spend so many more hours just playing now versus trying to adjust tons of digital settings, and so easy to make small adjustments on the fly. When I play the low E riff on something like In My Dreams or Unchain the Night, it just sounds "right"...has that tightness and chunk with plenty of gain. The pedal combination with the right EQ can really dial out the fizz but get some bite without getting too smooth. I'll be honest, while it will never replace the real thing, still more "organic" to my ears than modelers I've used in the past.

This is the most surprising and interesting response to me. I'd have never thought of this but I guess the BE OD is just a Solid State BE preamp? Then the SD would be boosting it. I might have to give this a try before buying a tube amp because even if I am not happy with it I can still use the pedals with a tube amp if I decide to get one.

What are you using to amplify your sound?
What settings do you use on the stacked ODs and the EQ?

This is almost what I'm doing exactly. Except my ODs are a Koko Boost and a Bad Monkey but everything I have exactly + Hardware RV7 reverb pedal.

Into my 50w Rectoverb that I got for $490. Into a Mesa 4x12 cab. Is that overkill for a bedroom rocker? Maybe. But I can use the Output and Master to get what I want for quiet times. But man - when you want to crank it up and get those tan pants moving you need bigger iron, bigger glass and a bigger projection area.

Conversely, I also have 1 watt Blackheart Killer Ant. Cool for what it does but no headroom and no pedals.

I think the Katana would be a good choice but I'm only saying that based on what others have said - never played one.

I also have a Peavey Vypyr tube 60. Fun little amp and you can plug in headphones. This is old but I just pasted in another thread so I have it handy.

One of these days I hope to try a Katana. I have the Vypyr VIP 2 and it is very underated. I love it but it is a bit muffled at lower volumes I tend to play.

This is the most surprising and interesting response to me. I'd have never thought of this but I guess the BE OD is just a Solid State BE preamp? Then the SD would be boosting it. I might have to give this a try before buying a tube amp because even if I am not happy with it I can still use the pedals with a tube amp if I decide to get one.

What are you using to amplify your sound?
What settings do you use on the stacked ODs and the EQ?
Yeah, I basically run it like the BE OD (or the 5150) is the amp and the SD1 is with almost no gain (the tone and output set about 1 o'clock), it just tightens the low end so the riffing is tight (just like with a real amp). BE OD has gobs of gain so I usually don't go past 12 o'clock. But until the MXR 10 band EQ is on, it isn't that impressive yet. The EQ (I go frowny face and then use the amp EQ to compensate a bit if need be) brings it all to life.

I've tried this setup was a few amps and had good results. I've run it through the FX return of a JVM combo, also into the front a Super Champ X2 with a GB speaker, even into a cheap old Crate and got good results. I've run it through a Jet City into a Marshall 4X12 and sounds good too. I think there are a ton of ways to do the same thing with the general idea.

I've swapped out a J Rockett Rockaway for the SD1, that was killer. I've used a reissue silver screw OD1, that was good too. I think the MXR EQ is important though, I've used the Boss EQ and a Maxon and they were decent but there was a difference.

I will say this...the BE OD through a clean platform also sounds great at rehearsal volumes, so if it doesn't work for bedroom, I think it's a pretty versatile pedal. And while I've said I'm not into modelers anymore, I will say the Katana (probably the cheapest I've owned) actually had the most bang for the buck for me. Hard to not get a good sound in a short amount of time, but ultimately I just like where I landed with the pedals.

Honestly, I'm impatient with technology so take all this in the context of someone who sat with Fractals for hours, days, weeks and spending much more time trying to dial in tone versus playing. Some guys dial these things in great and I wish I was one of them. I have no doubt the guys who really have this figured out are getting another level of tone than me (or things I haven't tried like the Boss TAE yet), but a simple setup with surprisingly fat tone has made practice fun again.

In my experience the three amps I have that sound the best at low volumes are the Diezel Herbert, Mesa Triple Crown 100 and the Friedman BE 100. If you are interested in lower watt power scaling type amps that can take pedals well then look into the Suhr Badger amps or the Pete Thorn small watt amp with IR's. There are a lot of ways to attack the problem, where it gets costly and dicey is if you switch horses mid stream and change approaches. There are great big boy amps that sound wonderful at bedroom volumes. There are great smaller clean amps that take pedals like a champ. You can go modeler and get better results than ever before. I do believe the folks chasing big tones of 100 watt heads and 412 cabs are pissing in the wind thinking a modeler and a set of monitors will deliver the same sound cranked in a room.

I used this setup for a bit this year before I went back to my Splawn . Quilter Labs 101 Reverb with a PedalPalFx PAL 800 V3 Distortion pedal boosted with a Cusack Screamer . Charvel Clone w/Dimarzrio Super Distortion . Cab is a Splawn 2x12 w/Greenbacks. Sounds good at low volumes , its a moderate volume in this clip and the Quilter will really crank if you need it to. Just recorded with an iPhone so its not pro quality

I used this setup for a bit this year before I went back to my Splawn . Quilter Labs 101 Reverb with a PedalPalFx PAL 800 V3 Distortion pedal boosted with a Cusack Screamer . Charvel Clone w/Dimarzrio Super Distortion . Cab is a Splawn 2x12 w/Greenbacks. Sounds good at low volumes , its a moderate volume in this clip and the Quilter will really crank if you need it to. Just recorded with an iPhone so its not pro quality

That sounds awesome... I was just checking out that pedal and it is about the same price as the Friedman but sounds better to my ears. But you prefer the Splawn for the bedroom?

This is bringing me to wonder what the perfect pedal power amp setup is for the bedroom? I see you have the Quilter. I wonder what the PAL people were using here because it sounds like a nice tube amp

Last edited:
I have Madison Square Basement for when I want pant flappage but upstairs in the den I have a pedalboard and small 1x12 amp. I use a homebrew Trainwreck Rocket but AC10 or AC15 can sound really good. Any decent small clean amp that has a bright switch (so you can turn it OFF) will work, just not too sparkley on the clean.

I like that I have every tone/effect I need right there and I just flip a switch and its all ready to rip. And as mentioned above, using a clean boost to UN-boost the signal to your liking is awesome...and always right there within arms reach while still sitting on couch...watching "7 hours of commercial-free football" every Sunday. :rock:

Oh yeah, I use a BE-OD Deluxe and a Klon clone. My clean boost is an old RC Boost. I had the original BE-OD but for me the low gain channel of the Deluxe is where I stay most of the time, often lightly pushed with Klone or a Carl Martin compressor. Don't forget to tweek the internal trimmers.

Lastly, if you don't have one consider a looper. For a practice type of setup I think they are a great tool. Lots of options there, I use an old Boomerang V1 but would not suggest that (noisy, shitty input, bulky, dedicated power supply etc). Functionally its awesome tho.

Last edited:
To me, it sounds like you’re mainly missing the “amp in the room” sound and feel by going thru studio monitors.

id stick with a modeler and run that into a small power amp and speaker cab...thats what ive been doing the last year and I’ve barely turned my Friedman on since. The modeler is just so convenient and consistent.

i run an atomic amplifire into a seymour Duncan powerstage 170 into my 2x12, sounds and feels great. A Katana is essentially the same principle (digital preamp into analog power amp) but just all in one brand/box.

Which modeler and speakers are you using? Usually when something sounds off it's on the monitoring end, and with modelers there's so many ways it can go sideways, especially when you're used to playing through real speakers. You may want to try a power amp and cab, even if it's just a 1x12, rather than using the monitors.

I just play in my home office nowadays so I've been all modelers for a long time now and they sound awesome to me. I think the Axe FX does 80's stuff absolutely perfectly, especially because they have the best reverbs and micro pitch / detune effect. The Friedman BE model with the right impulse response, running into a stereo pitch detune, into a stereo 2290 delay, into a nice plate or studio reverb is awesome. Don't need the Axe 3 either, the older AX8 or Axe FX 2 works great too (just harder to use without a computer).

I also have a Yamaha THR10x and it's not bad but doesn't have that big fat thick tone you'll likely want. I barely use it, mostly just for testing guitars for trades out of the back of my car when I need a battery amp. I also had a Boss Katana and it's not bad either but I preferred big modelers into headphones or monitors.

I ran a Blackstar HT5 through a Marshall 4x12 for a bedroom amp for a while. Sounded killer. Basically this

Back