What makes heavy metal heavy?

• Thread starter Thread starter MadAsAHatter
  • Start date Start date
The metal
giphy.gif

I just skipped around the vid due to lack of attention span and he seemed to be hitting on everything that people would submit for answers to that question.

For me it's the feel of it.

Pantera- "I'm Broken" = Heavy
Pantera- "Walk"= Not Heavy

Dream Theater- "Lie" = Heavy
Dream Theater- Anything After 2003 = Not heavy

Metallica- "Battery" = Heavy
Metallica- "Enter Sandman" = Not Heavy

Pink Floyd- "Empty Spaces" = Heavy
Killswitch Engage- "My Curse" = Not Heavy

I don't mean the groove as much as I do whatever emotion I'm getting from the song, I can't even really put it into words. It's the same shit that makes bands like Five Finger Death Punch not heavy at all to me. It doesn't matter how much shit you do to intentionally be "heavy", if it ain't fuckin' heavy it ain't heavy.

There's Zep albums that are 100x heavier than a shitload of modern metal, IMO. And I'm a huge fan of modern metal.

Attitude, energy, aggression makes heavy metal.
layered distorted guitars, heavy insturment attack, and crafty eqing techniques tend to make for a "heavy" sound.

It all started when they stopped using the hi hat as the beat count and used the bass drum instead.

I just skipped around the vid due to lack of attention span and he seemed to be hitting on everything that people would submit for answers to that question.

For me it's the feel of it.

Pantera- "I'm Broken" = Heavy
Pantera- "Walk"= Not Heavy

Dream Theater- "Lie" = Heavy
Dream Theater- Anything After 2003 = Not heavy

Metallica- "Battery" = Heavy
Metallica- "Enter Sandman" = Not Heavy

Pink Floyd- "Empty Spaces" = Heavy
Killswitch Engage- "My Curse" = Not Heavy

I don't mean the groove as much as I do whatever emotion I'm getting from the song, I can't even really put it into words. It's the same shit that makes bands like Five Finger Death Punch not heavy at all to me. It doesn't matter how much shit you do to intentionally be "heavy", if it ain't fuckin' heavy it ain't heavy.

There's Zep albums that are 100x heavier than a shitload of modern metal, IMO. And I'm a huge fan of modern metal.
Trampled Underfoot is one of the heaviest tunes EVAR.

Pink Floyd is not heavy, LOL.

They're good, but they're not heavy.

Empty Spaces is kinda dark and almost NIN-ish, but it's not heavy.

The question was, what makes heavy METAL heavy? I agree that non metal artists can evoke a 'heavy' feeling in their music but in a different way that doesn't necessarily come across as metal.

Back