What's the best version/model of the 5150? Peavey, Fender?

• Thread starter Thread starter James Lugo
  • Start date Start date
James Lugo
James Lugo
I'm trying to hunt one down for a client and I see a million versions, old Peavey's, then it looks like new rebranded Peaveys, 6505+. I think there are also Fender ones and now EVH. Are the new EVH made by Fender or is EVH it's own company? Anyway what is the most badass version for big fat heavy guitar sounds? Crunch not fuzz or fizz??

i've owned all incarnations of this amp... I think the Fender version is the best... by far... FARRRRRRR!!!!

mystixboi":29efpuxq said:
i've owned all incarnations of this amp... I think the Fender version is the best... by far... FARRRRRRR!!!!

I'm researching this and a little confused is the current EVH amps that I see for sale are those not the Fender made? Do you have a link to the amp you're taking about?

J

Ive had them all... I currently have the Fender EVH and a Peavey 6505+ ........The lead channels sound almost the same. The EVH is a little darker, smoother yet not as clear as the peavey.. The original peavey 5150(6505) non plus model is the meanest sounding of the bunch, most aggressive and has more lowend than the other two. If you want the most brutal metalz tone go with the original non plus version.

The clean channel on the Fender EVH isnt any better than the clean channel on the 6505+ IMO, the 6505 clean channel is not really a clean channel, if you are looking for clean cleans stay away from the original 5150(65605)..

I would say the best crunch tones come from the blue channel on the EVH. If you need most versatilely go with the Fender.

All 3 of them are prob my favorite line of amps of all time and Ive owned Diezel, Soldano, Bogner, Fryette, Engl, Mesa etc etc .. They can hang !

James Lugo":65xi9fmm said:
mystixboi":65xi9fmm said:

I'm researching this and a little confused is the current EVH amps that I see for sale are those not the Fender made? Do you have a link to the amp you're taking about?

J

The amps that have the big oval EVH logo on the front is the Fender 5150 III ..... The knobs are all white, its also a much larger head than the peavey versions which came before it.

the4thlast1":28go0lqh said:
Ive had them all... I currently have the Fender EVH and a Peavey 6505+ ........The lead channels sound almost the same. The EVH is a little darker, smoother yet not as clear as the peavey.. The original peavey 5150(6505) non plus model is the meanest sounding of the bunch, most aggressive and has more lowend than the other two. If you want the most brutal metalz tone go with the original non plus version.

The clean channel on the Fender EVH isnt any better than the clean channel on the 6505+ IMO, the 6505 clean channel is not really a clean channel, if you are looking for clean cleans stay away from the original 5150(65605)..

I would say the best crunch tones come from the blue channel on the EVH. If you need most versatilely go with the Fender.

All 3 of them are prob my favorite line of amps of all time and Ive owned Diezel, Soldano, Bogner, Fryette, Engl, Mesa etc etc .. They can hang !

Thanks, I see a couple of old Peavey's a 5150 and a 5150II. Are they the same?

Peavey 5150, IMO. I've owned both. The Peavey is more aggressive, tighter, and clearer.

I could not gel with the EVH5153 at all. I've owned 2 5150IIs and played the originals. I prefer the PV versions and if you want the ultimate 5150 IMO get one to FJA Mods and have the Metal Mod done. I have yet to hear a 5150 I like more.

I've owned them all except the 50w EVH, but my buddy has one so I'm quite familiar with it. The 100w EVH destroys them all. It's not even close.

madrigal77":6aui64xc said:
I've owned them all except the 50w EVH, but my buddy has one so I'm quite familiar with it. The 100w EVH destroys them all. It's not even close.

I guess something was wrong with mine. The clean was fine. The crunch needs more gain and the high gain channel was, for lack of a better word "hairy" sounding. I'll take a PV anyday.

yngzaklynch":3v6isy3n said:
madrigal77":3v6isy3n said:

I guess something was wrong with mine. The clean was fine. The crunch needs more gain and the high gain channel was, for lack of a better word "hairy" sounding. I'll take a PV anyday.
Yeah, I dunno. Everyone has their own tastes I guess. I find the cleans to be really nice for a high gainer. Much better than the Peavey's. The blue channel has more than enough gain for rock/hard rock. If you want more than that, use a boost, try a high gain tube, or just use the red channel. Personally I don't even use the gain past 4 on that channel.

The high gain channel is similar to the Peavey, except clearer and more articulate sounding. Personally, I don't know how anyone could prefer the Peavey... :confused:

I think the blue channel on the 50w 5150 III is the best sounding channel on any item that ever had the number 5150 slapped on it. The Peavey versions are great for real heavy sounding stuff especially with a Maxon OD808 in front of it. Metal producer Andy Sneap used to use that set up for almost all the bands he produced. Now he uses the EVH 5150 III.

I love the EVH version and never heard a reason to own any of the Peavey versions.

James Lugo":2o6lw3pz said:
the4thlast1":2o6lw3pz said:

Thanks, I see a couple of old Peavey's a 5150 and a 5150II. Are they the same?

There is a difference. The 5150II I think has a little better clean channel and more head room on said channel. I think the lead channel has a little less gain. Overall it's a bit more brighter amp than the 5150. Out of those 2 I myself prefer the 5150. I have played the 5150III but didn't have enough time to from an opinion of it. Oh I think the 5150II has one more preamp tube.

:edited because I forgot something

I just sold a 6505+ and I just bought an EVH 5150 III. Im no expert on anything but to my ears these amps are completely different beasts. The 6505+ was a great piece of gear for it's used price point but I find the 5153 Mini to be a superior machine. The mini has the disturbing shated eq which makes it basically a two channel amp but other than that I have few complaints about it.

If you have any chance to A/B them do it. Opinions will be all over the map on this one.

I like the original 5150 combo over all of the versions, but I like the 6505+ and the EVH as well. Any of them are great metal and hard rock amps, so either way you go , he should be happy.

yngzaklynch":2muqinv2 said:
I could not gel with the EVH5153 at all. I've owned 2 5150IIs and played the originals. I prefer the PV versions and if you want the ultimate 5150 IMO get one to FJA Mods and have the Metal Mod done. I have yet to hear a 5150 I like more.

+1

FJA Metal Mod kicks ass :rock: :rock:

The new stock 6505s sound phenomenal.

My 6505 sounded better than the 5150 III I had. The III is very liquid and fun to play, but it can be both fizzy AND dark sometimes and doesn't have a great deal of balls. The original has more of a bark and fat low end.

Hmmm, ive been lookin at 5150s and 6505+s.Machine head uses old 5150s and i think their tone is perfect.

EVH hands down.

I had a 5150 Peavey combo that had tons of fizz. Couldn't dial it out. Tried tubes and speaker swaps. My main amp is the EVH100w and had been for 6 years now. Get one of the first 1000 or so 100w EVH's. I think they sound the best. Mainly due to the EHX/Sovtek tubes. I think the amp became fizzier when they started shipping the amp with JJ's. I also have a 50w EVH for smaller gigs.

The 100w EVH would be a great addition to your studio based on its versatility alone.

People who say its too saturated of an amp and/or doesn't have the attack of the peavey version haven't spent enough time with channel 2 (EQing, boosting, etc). Many who demo the amp go right to desert (ch3) and miss what makes the amp really shine.

Back