What's the best version/model of the 5150? Peavey, Fender?

• Thread starter Thread starter James Lugo
  • Start date Start date
JerryP":2pef3kdi said:
nevusofota":2pef3kdi said:
JerryP":2pef3kdi said:
Peavey all the way IMO. The EVH clean sucks worse than the original 5150
This proves why I would never buy (or even try) an amp based on opinion.

Because it's not the same as your opinion.
Jerry
exactly, its the only one that matters to me.

I'm not saying you are wrong in any way. It's just interesting to hear such polar opposite opinions on an amp. I'm just saying that this is a good example. If I don't know an amp, the only way I am going to be influenced is by me playing it.

D-Rock":202ltlel said:
So are there clipping diodes providing gain in the preamp of the EVH 5150 III ?

Howard Kaplan, the designer of the 5150III 50w at Fender, stated many times (it's documented over at TGP) that the distortion of all the EVH amps is all tube and that none of the gain is achieved through diodes.

nwright":18b4pz5a said:
the4thlast1":18b4pz5a said:
Ive had them all... I currently have the Fender EVH and a Peavey 6505+ ........The lead channels sound almost the same. The EVH is a little darker, smoother yet not as clear as the peavey.. The original peavey 5150(6505) non plus model is the meanest sounding of the bunch, most aggressive and has more lowend than the other two. If you want the most brutal metalz tone go with the original non plus version.

The clean channel on the Fender EVH isnt any better than the clean channel on the 6505+ IMO, the 6505 clean channel is not really a clean channel, if you are looking for clean cleans stay away from the original 5150(65605)..

I would say the best crunch tones come from the blue channel on the EVH. If you need most versatilely go with the Fender.

All 3 of them are prob my favorite line of amps of all time and Ive owned Diezel, Soldano, Bogner, Fryette, Engl, Mesa etc etc .. They can hang !

Could not disagree more with some of this but every set of ears are different. With my playing style, everything about the fender EVH's is better. Ive owned a script letter and block letter 5150, a 6505 and a 6505+, and everything about the evh iii is better to me. The cleans on both the 100 and 50 just obliterate the peaveys. The biggest asset to the peavey series is it gets you into the tonal area all of these amps reside at a great used price point.

Man I gotta get serious here now lol .... The thing is if you dont have the amps side by side your memory will play tricks on you broski... I have the Fender EVH and a Peavey 6505+ sitting side by side at my home.. Ive compared them several times and let me say that the EVH was my main amp for a long time and I still love it....

With that being said I actually think the clean channel on the Peavey 6505+ is just as good if not better than the EVH , some might prefer it because it has a more open and chimey top end, yes the evh clean is a bit warmer and darker but that doesnt mean its better or it "Obliterates" anything.... (Lets not confuse the 6505+ with the 6505) The 6505 (original 5150) does not really have a clean channel, it was meant to be a dirty clean, so yeah if you are talkin about the 6505 then the EVH has a much better clean clean and so would the 6505+. The 6505+ was designed with a dedicated clean that can be clean with no brakeup.

The only thing the EVH does better than the Peavey is its crunch channel...The crunch channel has something cool goin on that the peaveys might lack a bit , but I rarely used the crunch channel because I felt it could use a little more lowend and could have more gain on tap. If you are someone who uses the crunch channel a lot then I could see liking the EVH over the peavey but once again it comes down to what type of music you are playing.... For Metal the EVH is not better than the Peaveys , I would say any version of the 5150 (Peavey or Fender) is a great choice for Metal, the original 5150(6505) might be "the winner" in that respect because its the meanest sounding and has the most lowend out of the bunch.

As far as lead channels go my EVH sounds so similar to the Peavey, I use the lead channels on both amps for everything but cleans, both amps lead channels do Metal rhythm and lead very well ... The Lead Channel on the EVH might be a bit better for soloing because it has more of a liquid feel, is also more saturated and compressed. The Peavey Lead channel is a bit better for Rhythm because its clearer, tighter and not as dark.. I like both prob equally but cant say either one is "better" (Also keep in mind I always use a Maxon 808 to tighten up the lowend on my amps so that plays a part aswell . I think the lead channel on the EVH is a little looser so it really benefits from the boost... I also set the gain low on both amps lead channels.

If you plan to play Metal on these amps then there is nothing better about the EVH... If you want to have more versatility blues, rock, country, 80s , modern Metal all in one package etc then the EVH might be a better choice.

nwright":igqhpkil said:
the4thlast1":igqhpkil said:
Ive had them all... I currently have the Fender EVH and a Peavey 6505+ ........The lead channels sound almost the same. The EVH is a little darker, smoother yet not as clear as the peavey.. The original peavey 5150(6505) non plus model is the meanest sounding of the bunch, most aggressive and has more lowend than the other two. If you want the most brutal metalz tone go with the original non plus version.

The clean channel on the Fender EVH isnt any better than the clean channel on the 6505+ IMO, the 6505 clean channel is not really a clean channel, if you are looking for clean cleans stay away from the original 5150(65605)..

I would say the best crunch tones come from the blue channel on the EVH. If you need most versatilely go with the Fender.

All 3 of them are prob my favorite line of amps of all time and Ive owned Diezel, Soldano, Bogner, Fryette, Engl, Mesa etc etc .. They can hang !

Could not disagree more with some of this but every set of ears are different. With my playing style, everything about the fender EVH's is better. Ive owned a script letter and block letter 5150, a 6505 and a 6505+, and everything about the evh iii is better to me. The cleans on both the 100 and 50 just obliterate the peaveys. The biggest asset to the peavey series is it gets you into the tonal area all of these amps reside at a great used price point.
This. Especially once you ditch the JJ's in the EVH and try it with the matching cab. FTR I had a Blockletter and an EVH at the same time. There was just no comparison. EVH is better in every way.

But hey, if the Peavey sounds better to you, more power to you. Save yourself some money and get a Peavey. They are dirt cheap used and they are awesome amps, there's no doubt about that.

If you had a block letter then yeah thats a regular 5150 which doesnt really have a clean channel so the EVH will beat it out in the clean department but the Peavey 5150II (6505+) has a clean channel which is just as good... anyways Im not saying I like the Peavey more than the Fender or vice versa....The point I am trying to make is that neither one "kills" or "obliterates" the other.. I would be happy with using any version personally.

As far as tubes and cabs go.... I have tried several different combinations of both with these amps... Ive had the Fender EVH cab, I had a Peavey cab here, Mesa, Splawn, Bogner etc etc etc...Tried JJ, Sovtek, S.E.D, Tung Sol, EH, Ruby, etc etc etc

Now to get back to the original topic:

Mr. James Lugo, I believe you started this thread because your intent was to figure out which 5150 you would like best in a recording situation ? If thats the case and you are using the amp for Metal recordings then go with the original Peavey (5150) 6505 This is actually not opinion its more like a known fact , I hate to come of like a dick but its just the truth, there is a reason why the Peavey is still to this day used on the majority of modern metal albums ... The peavey records better , the fender is not bad by any means but the peavey has the edge recording the brutals.

the4thlast1":25lrafcj said:
nwright":25lrafcj said:
the4thlast1":25lrafcj said:

Man I gotta get serious here now lol .... The thing is if you dont have the amps side by side your memory will play tricks on you broski... I have the Fender EVH and a Peavey 6505+ sitting side by side at my home.. Ive compared them several times and let me say that the EVH was my main amp for a long time and I still love it....

With that being said I actually think the clean channel on the Peavey 6505+ is just as good if not better than the EVH , some might prefer it because it has a more open and chimey top end, yes the evh clean is a bit warmer and darker but that doesnt mean its better or it "Obliterates" anything.... (Lets not confuse the 6505+ with the 6505) The 6505 (original 5150) does not really have a clean channel, it was meant to be a dirty clean, so yeah if you are talkin about the 6505 then the EVH has a much better clean clean and so would the 6505+. The 6505+ was designed with a dedicated clean that can be clean with no brakeup.

The only thing the EVH does better than the Peavey is its crunch channel...The crunch channel has something cool goin on that the peaveys might lack a bit , but I rarely used the crunch channel because I felt it could use a little more lowend and could have more gain on tap. If you are someone who uses the crunch channel a lot then I could see liking the EVH over the peavey but once again it comes down to what type of music you are playing.... For Metal the EVH is not better than the Peaveys , I would say any version of the 5150 (Peavey or Fender) is a great choice for Metal, the original 5150(6505) might be "the winner" in that respect because its the meanest sounding and has the most lowend out of the bunch.

As far as lead channels go my EVH sounds so similar to the Peavey, I use the lead channels on both amps for everything but cleans, both amps lead channels do Metal rhythm and lead very well ... The Lead Channel on the EVH might be a bit better for soloing because it has more of a liquid feel, is also more saturated and compressed. The Peavey Lead channel is a bit better for Rhythm because its clearer, tighter and not as dark.. I like both prob equally but cant say either one is "better" (Also keep in mind I always use a Maxon 808 to tighten up the lowend on my amps so that plays a part aswell . I think the lead channel on the EVH is a little looser so it really benefits from the boost... I also set the gain low on both amps lead channels.

If you plan to play Metal on these amps then there is nothing better about the EVH... If you want to have more versatility blues, rock, country, 80s , modern Metal all in one package etc then the EVH might be a better choice.

I posted in my original reply that've owned a few different incarnations of evh amps, the 6505+ being one of them. I owned my 6505+ when I bought my 5153. My plan was to keep the 6505+ as a backup, but I so much preferred the 5153 that I sold it, and subsequently bought the 50 watt 5153 as a backup/alternative amp.

The 6505+ has a better clean than the regular, but still IMO can't hold a candle to the 5153, either the 100 or the 50. I'd agree that the 5153 100 is darker (I'd say warmer), which is why I like it so much. The 50 is much brighter and closer the peaveys clean in that regard, while sounding better to my ears. The evh versions have a more "fender" style clean which I like while the peaveys are a more clinical or sterile sound...some people like that tone, but I like the buttery warmth of the evh better than the peavey. I'll admit that a slightly gritty clean tone with a bright edge is a fun tone to play with on the peavey 6505+, the 50 watt pretty much gets there and sounds better IMO...the 100 watt doesn't get that tone as easily. And I'll admit whe I think of a great clean tone I think of a blues oriented or even slightly country style clean vs., say, a Hetfield Roland jazz chorus type clean. I love a tele tone through the Evh amps. I also liked it through the peaveys, too.

It's all subjective. I just know for me and my playing style, the 5150iii is my favorite. Also after just getting the matching evh 412, it does give the amp more balls than vintage 30's do. I haven't been able to mic it up yet, which I really want to do.

the4thlast1":tjfs2tjx said:
If you had a block letter then yeah thats a regular 5150 which doesnt really have a clean channel so the EVH will beat it out in the clean department but the Peavey 5150II (6505+) has a clean channel which is just as good... anyways Im not saying I like the Peavey more than the Fender or vice versa....The point I am trying to make is that neither one "kills" or "obliterates" the other.. I would be happy with using any version personally.

As far as tubes and cabs go.... I have tried several different combinations of both with these amps... Ive had the Fender EVH cab, I had a Peavey cab here, Mesa, Splawn, Bogner etc etc etc...Tried JJ, Sovtek, S.E.D, Tung Sol, EH, Ruby, etc etc etc

Now to get back to the original topic:

Mr. James Lugo, I believe you started this thread because your intent was to figure out which 5150 you would like best in a recording situation ? If thats the case and you are using the amp for Metal recordings then go with the original Peavey (5150) 6505 This is actually not opinion its more like a known fact , I hate to come of like a dick but its just the truth, there is a reason why the Peavey is still to this day used on the majority of modern metal albums ... The peavey records better , the fender is not bad by any means but the peavey has the edge recording the brutals.

Again, I'll have to disagree, maybe...lol. It seems like the bands I'm into have been using the 5153's on recordings as of late. Also the peavey has been around for a loooot longer, is generally cheaper and more easily available, so that does skew things from both a band as well as studio perspective. I do think the peavey is still the go to amp, but I really do think its as much if not more of an economic and/or availability reason as much as a tonal one, especially for smaller studios, newly signed bands with small budgets, etc.

I'd be willing to bet all of our opinions would be the exact opposite if the evh brand amps were the ones that came first,lol.

Guys...I think really does depend on what your after? I don't think there is any doubt that the Fender EVH has a smoother, slightly more refined overall character: making it more appropriate for certain styles. It definitely can still put you into serious modern metal territory. Also, some would argue that it's more versatile as well.

The original 5150 / 6505? one of the kings of brutality and aggressive, "modern" metal tones for sure: massive low-end, absolutely over the top, ripping gain structure...Responsible for the very definition of "brutal" as it relates to tone: please see Carcass "heartwork" and Machine Head "Burn My Eyes"

the 5150 II / 6505+? slightly tighter, slightly brighter, a little less "hair", grind and gain...Slightly less low mid focus. But more versatile than the original and for me: THE BEST OF THE BUNCH

James,

Original 5150 or 6505 is where it's at, they track real well and feel great to play, really nothing quite like that amp, and the price is killer

Jerry P makes a great point, the build quality on the Peavey is great, and their support is top notch. Sonically, I've always loved the original 5150 120-watt head, also known as "block letter". It's a monster, nothing sounds quite like it. Something relevant is the Peavey Rockmaster preamp, which is what I understand the 5150 was based on. I have one, and it's great! It's easily the most slept on preamp and provides sick moderate to high gain tones. Not as fizzy as the 5150, with a fantastic grinding high gain tone, but dials back for crunch tones much better than a 5150, and is dead quiet. I can actually run it without a noise gate. Drawback is the same as the 5150, only one EQ.

I've had multiple of each version. I prefer the first Peavey 5150/6505 for metal. You just can't beat the original for heavy music.

yep. rob's 5150's are modded though...he alludes to that in some interviews i've read.

yeti":1dihztqa said:
yep. rob's 5150's are modded though...he alludes to that in some interviews i've read.

This may be true...But Logan Mader's original series Peavey 5150 was not modded; I've used it for recording (BTW he favors the rhythm channel). This was the main amp on "Brn My Eyes"...To me, this is the THE definitive 5150 prototypical heavy / brutal rhythm sound.

I saw a gear tour with Rob Flynn and was just 6505's crunch channel boosted with an 808/TS?greenOD. He talked about the crunch channel specifically but did not mention any mods.

I like these 6505+ tones personally;

Back