Who's played these ?

• Thread starter Thread starter shar-vell Dan
  • Start date Start date
shar-vell Dan
shar-vell Dan
image.jpg

Tell me about them.

they work.

EHX are about the same and usually cheaper, especially when MF has an accessory sale.

for my better guitars, I get Ernie Ball RPS; custom sets, I get Stringjoy.

GHS-BCCL-Big-Core-Nickel-Rockers.jpg

I played GHS Boomers 30+ years 9 to .046 then played 9.5 to .048 Custom Light Big Core NR for 10 yrs and loved them but had a hard time finding them.
Last 10 years been playing .011 to .050 DAddarios but i just bought some of the 9.5 to .048 Big Cores again as hand cutting thousands of pounds of meat is causing me issues.
And it seems the Big Cores are easy to find now. Looking for a lighter action.
I tried lighter gauge DAddarios and they were dogshit.

Last edited:
DR makes a pretty good sounding set of pure nickel wraps.

bought a 5 pack by mistake about 4 years ago
by the time i realized it I got stuck with them.

they are not bad but i didn't like the heavy Low E with HBs.
too mushy.

10-52 was my Jam through the 90’s (D standard and drop C) but I probably used Boomers as much as D’addario. No complaints on either, at least back then.

I did play .011 to .056 standard for a while. My guitar tech couldn't tune the guitar.
Kept breaking the .011
I play standard pitch. .011's can be stiff.

not that guage but have played those strings several times. no preference on them, they're right there with EB's stuff. If there was a big sale on them i'd totally get them over EB's which is kinda the default answer for me lately

I use EXL170s on my Spector NS4. Fucking things sound great and last forever.

That’s because boomers don’t tune to B flat.
10-52 is good for C# standard here.
But overall, heavy gauges in higher tunings is counterproductive for getting tighter tones. Especially for those of us who work with our hands/arms and dont push a pencil/sit in a cubicle all day like a geek

EVERLY B52s. They sound killer and last forever. I've been using these for over 20 years. I do crazy pull ups with a Floyd Rose and I've broken one of these strings in all that time. I used to use the heavier gauges of these but carpal tunnel made me go to 9-42.

EverlyB52s-ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg-converter.jpg

Last edited:

Back