Why so much bad luck with recieving amps?

SteveGlitch
SteveGlitch
Just wondering why there's been so much troubles with receiving both new and used amps? As you all know, I go through tons of gear but have never recieved anything damaged or unintact.

It's a fact.

However, I have recieved some items with holes in their boxes as if someone punched holes in there. Still, upon opening found that the items were secure and unharmed.

Thereby, one must conclude, must be more to do with the shipper and how well the packaging is and NOT the deliverer. Let us not blame the service of these strangers but only those who have dug in our pockets. Ladies, sabotage is among us....

Attachments

• guitar-center-shipping-damage-v0-2kq7sit84qbc1.jpg
    guitar-center-shipping-damage-v0-2kq7sit84qbc1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 43
I will only send and receive amps in ATA flight cases now. Since Covid every amp I have had shipped has been damaged unless it was in a flight case. This is both UPS and FedEx.
I usually only recieve my guitars in hardshell cases so I understand. Even with the hardshell casings, Chicago music exchange, guitar center, Sweetwater and musicians friend all double box them with padding in between. The shipper is to blame if the handlers exercise their right to fuck shit up and the box is too flimsy.

I've shipped 2 vintage Marshalls, one to the east coast and one to Cali, no issues....and, received 2 Marshalls and an old Sound City PA head, also with no issues. This has all been within the last 3 months.
Tuesday I'm getting another old Fender Twin so we'll see how that turns out.....heavy bastards that they are...

I will only send and receive amps in ATA flight cases now. Since Covid every amp I have had shipped has been damaged unless it was in a flight case. This is both UPS and FedEx.
Don't worry, now they'll just break your flight case too. :LOL:

Reactions: rsm
I've had a new 4x12 Marshall cab in the factory sealed box damaged by UPS; I had a used Randall RG1503-212 well packed, the box had several holes, big enough to lose the footswitch, and crack the frame in three places, also UPS.

...most recently was my 1976 Fender Super Twin that was very well packed including removing the power tubes and thick foam blocks in all corners; the box looked fine, but the damage to the amp inside makes me think it was dropped off the back of the truck, conveyer belt or some other height...also UPS.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few items.

Many years ago I had a new G-System in it's original sealed box damaged...it looked like a forklift arm went into the side of the box...

Most of the damaged items I received have been shipped UPS, all of the packing was done well. When you have multiple holes in boxes, ripped boxes, or see damage that is clearly due to heavy items being dropped from a height (even with Heavy stickers on it!) from different sellers, new and used, over a span of a few years, and the only common factor is UPS. It's UPS

Around here FedEx doesn't damage packages, just doesn't show up when scheduled, or if signature required doesn't bother to knock on the door or even leave a door tag.

Fuck UPS

I've had a new 4x12 Marshall cab in the factory sealed box damaged by UPS; I had a used Randall RG1503-212 well packed, the box had several holes, big enough to lose the footswitch, and crack the frame in three places, also UPS.

...most recently was my 1976 Fender Super Twin that was very well packed including removing the power tubes and thick foam blocks in all corners; the box looked fine, but the damage to the amp inside makes me think it was dropped off the back of the truck, conveyer belt or some other height...also UPS.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few items.

Many years ago I had a new G-System in it's original sealed box damaged...it looked like a forklift arm went into the side of the box...

Most of the damaged items I received have been shipped UPS, all of the packing was done well. When you have multiple holes in boxes, ripped boxes, or see damage that is clearly due to heavy items being dropped from a height (even with Heavy stickers on it!) from different sellers, new and used, over a span of a few years, and the only common factor is UPS. It's UPS

Around here FedEx doesn't damage packages, just doesn't show up when scheduled, or if signature required doesn't bother to knock on the door or even leave a door tag.

Fuck UPS
Jesus.

That's terrible.

Anyone who works for Ups or Fedex can get fucked in the ass
So many shipping related gear nightmares

It's a 70, D120s. But, we'll see how healthy they are when it arrives....
Can't wait to see your NAD. I gotta '69 and a '72. My old man has a '70 with JBL's. I'm guessing they are recones in there or did the seller claim they are original? If they are original the paper surround is probably shot whether it was used or not. The price of anything JBL D or K has gotten so exorbitant that the only reasonable way to get a set is to buy a Twin with 'em in there to begin with. Everyone wants JBL's, nobody wants Twins, lol

Can't wait to see your NAD. I gotta '69 and a '72. My old man has a '70 with JBL's. I'm guessing they are recones in there or did the seller claim they are original? If they are original the paper surround is probably shot whether it was used or not. The price of anything JBL D or K has gotten so exorbitant that the only reasonable way to get a set is to buy a Twin with 'em in there to begin with. Everyone wants JBL's, nobody wants Twins, lol
It was a GC purchase; so we'll see when it arrives this next week. Last Twin I had was a 76; with original orange frame 120s. Those were original and in great shape. You always know when the speaker's never been out when you try to take it out yourself...and they're practically glued in lol...over time those gaskets adhere to the baffle pretty tightly.
Great amps though; I miss having a dedicated clean amp and a vintage Fender will do nicely.

It was a GC purchase; so we'll see when it arrives this next week. Last Twin I had was a 76; with original orange frame 120s. Those were original and in great shape. You always know when the speaker's never been out when you try to take it out yourself...and they're practically glued in lol...over time those gaskets adhere to the baffle pretty tightly.
Great amps though; I miss having a dedicated clean amp and a vintage Fender will do nicely.
Oh boy, GC packed it? This won't turn out well..

This isn't a zero sum thing

Fedex and UPS suck, and bad shippers who don't pack things correctly suck, and they're both responsible for damaged gear.

Also, I literally work for fedex. Trust me, it ISN'T "exercizing our right" and it's not inevitable. It's against company policy, and it's shitty employees literally throwing boxes 10 or 20 feet, kicking boxes, and doing obviously fucked up shit. Wanna know how I know it's that, and not the shippers? Because I watch it happen 6 days a week.

I'm glad you haven't had a bad experience yet, but once you DO have a bad experience, your tune will be irrevocably changed.

The amount of time it takes to pack an amp trying to get it to survive a shipping is a nightmare. Therefore I prefer not to send amps anymore.

My last packet was opened from one side to see what’s inside. Luckily MXR plastic wraps the pedal cardboard boxes so not having to even think if somethign is missing. I called UPS to notify about this so they’ll get more info of these kind of occurrences.

Back