Wizard KT150 with 6550’s?

• Thread starter Thread starter braintheory
  • Start date Start date
Wouldn't know for sure, as long as they can take the higher plate voltage and bias within range you should be able to run 6550. @RedB4Black would surely know as he's owned several KT88 Wizards, so maybe he tried 6550's in them.

Yes. I’ve run 6550s in the KT150 amps. No issues. Differences not that big of a deal. Lose a little low end and gain a little more mids. Easier to just run an EQ in the loop

Yes. I’ve run 6550s in the KT150 amps. No issues. Differences not that big of a deal. Lose a little low end and gain a little more mids. Easier to just run an EQ in the loop
Nice, that sounds like it could be more up my alley and what I was hoping for with the swap. The amp has low end power to spare lol. Did the 6550’s need to be biased at different values or the same is fine?

Nice, that sounds like it could be more up my alley and what I was hoping for with the swap. The amp has low end power to spare lol. Did the 6550’s need to be biased at different values or the same is fine?

I just measured the PV and calculated the bias on the Weber site. But absent doing that, I’d bias like a kt88.

I used Svetlana 6550s if I recall. I was concerned about the high plate voltage. Generally use JJ in Wizards because of that. I’ve used gold lions too without issues

He'll of course say WTF ARE YOU THINKING STAY OUT OF MY i mean YOUR AMP!!!

In a Euro amp, it's KT88...same amp here, it's 6550...just like 6CA7s and EL34s are interchangeable. KT 90s, supposed to be but see what he says.
Yeah I’m no tech guy at all, just a little cautious since George said I can’t use 6550’s in his KT88 DAZZ model, but maybe he was also pulling a Rick on me LOL. For some of my 6L6 amps I was also told I can’t safely use KT66’s in them

Visually (maybe structurally) 6550’s & KT88’s look different to me as do EL34’s & 6CA7’s, but I don’t really know what I’m looking at lol

Yeah I’m no tech guy at all, just a little cautious since George said I can’t use 6550’s in his KT88 DAZZ model, but maybe he was also pulling a Rick on me LOL. For some of my 6L6 amps I was also told I can’t safely use KT66’s in them

Visually (maybe structurally) 6550’s & KT88’s look different to me as do EL34’s & 6CA7’s, but I don’t really know what I’m looking at lol

I specifically asked….Rick said I could run 6L6s in my KT66 MTL.

I just measured the PV and calculated the bias on the Weber site. But absent doing that, I’d bias like a kt88.

I used Svetlana 6550s if I recall. I was concerned about the high plate voltage. Generally use JJ in Wizards because of that. I’ve used gold lions too without issues
Cool thanks! Any chance you remember what numbers (or range) you biased the 6550’s at? If not, I guess I’ll just match wherever the KT88’s in it are currently biased at

Cool thanks! Any chance you remember what numbers (or range) you biased the 6550’s at? If not, I guess I’ll just match wherever the KT88’s in it are currently biased at

No. Sorry it was a while ago and have since sold that amp

What are the plate and screen voltages? Kt88 can often handle higher voltages on the screens than 6550, according to the data sheets I’ve seen. I don’t know enough to know when the datasheet maximums can be exceeded.

I read this description of 6550's versus KT88's once on some tube site and I find it is pretty accurate.

They described the KT88 as a larger big bottle EL34 that can handle higher plate voltages but still has some warmth and emphasis on mids like an EL34, supposedly it is why Marshall chose the KT88's for the Marshall Majors and why Jimmy Page had KT88's installed in his Marshall's at one point.

The same site described 6550's as a big big bottle 6L6 that can handle more plate voltage and more rugged, 6550's are quite linear and balanced in the sonic spectrum much like a 6L6 and my ears also agree with that description.

So if you like EL34's the KT88's might float your boat and if you like 6L6's then the 6550's might be your tube.

The only new production KT88 I did not like was the JJKT88 it was just too warm and undefined soft in the attack, but some people really love them. I like the Sovtek, SED, and EH KT88's all of those sound great and usually are reliable. As for 6550's try to find some NOS SED's or even GE6550A's but the new New Sensor EH's and Svetlana are pretty decent. I've been running older SED and Svetlana 6550B and C's for years and they are great sounding tubes and very reliable.

Here's the description of the JJKT88 from Doug's tubes and it is accurate and why I didn't care for them.

https://dougstubes.com/collections/6550-kt88-kt90/products/ruby-kt88-cz

"The Ruby KT88-CZ has a tightly compressed bottom end that is perfect for jazz and audio. Just like the JJ KT88, repackaged by Ruby Tubes."

If you like a compressed bottom end then you might like the JJKT88.

Stay away from the Valve Arts 6550 A tubes, they were supposed to be a copy of the GE6550A's and the couple of sets I tried went bad quickly and one or two started to red plate and or shorted completely out. I won't run another set of them. There are people selling old NOS new or tested used SED's/Winged C's on Ebay every now and then and they are my favorite.

KT88's and 6550 should bias in the same range.

Last edited:
What are the plate and screen voltages? Kt88 can often handle higher voltages on the screens than 6550, according to the data sheets I’ve seen. I don’t know enough to know when the datasheet maximums can be exceeded.
Good advice....especially regarding new production tubes.:2thumbsup:

So this is Rick’s response… Thoughts?
IMG_8908.jpeg

I read this description of 6550's versus KT88's once on some tube site and I find it is pretty accurate.

They described the KT88 as a larger big bottle EL34 that can handle higher plate voltages but still has some warmth and emphasis on mids like an EL34, supposedly it is why Marshall chose the KT88's for the Marshall Majors and why Jimmy Page had KT88's installed in his Marshall's at one point.

The same site described 6550's as a big big bottle 6L6 that can handle more plate voltage and more rugged, 6550's are quite linear and balanced in the sonic spectrum much like a 6L6 and my ears also agree with that description.

So if you like EL34's the KT88's might float your boat and if you like 6L6's then the 6550's might be your tube.

The only new production KT88 I did not like was the JJKT88 it was just too warm and undefined soft in the attack, but some people really love them. I like the Sovtek, SED, and EH KT88's all of those sound great and usually are reliable. As for 6550's try to find some NOS SED's or even GE6550A's but the new New Sensor EH's and Svetlana are pretty decent. I've been running older SED and Svetlana 6550B and C's for years and they are great sounding tubes and very reliable.

Here's the description of the JJKT88 from Doug's tubes and it is accurate and why I didn't care for them.

https://dougstubes.com/collections/6550-kt88-kt90/products/ruby-kt88-cz

"The Ruby KT88-CZ has a tightly compressed bottom end that is perfect for jazz and audio. Just like the JJ KT88, repackaged by Ruby Tubes."

If you like a compressed bottom end then you might like the JJKT88.

Stay away from the Valve Arts 6550 A tubes, they were supposed to be a copy of the GE6550A's and the couple of sets I tried went bad quickly and one or two started to red plate and or shorted completely out. I won't run another set of them. There are people selling old NOS new or tested used SED's/Winged C's on Ebay every now and then and they are my favorite.

KT88's and 6550 should bias in the same range.
I had the same issue with the Valve Arts 6550A’s, but actually thought they sounded good while they worked. My Winged C and pre-Winged C Svetlana 6550’s sound good, but my older US ones sound a level above in my amps (GE, RCA, Sylvania, JAN Philips and Coke bottle US Tung-Sol’s). KT88’s sound sort of like a higher powered KT77 to me. KT90’s I find sound more EL34-like

So this is Rick’s response… Thoughts?
View attachment 330018
Well, I'd keep it at 88s only then. I was reading up on the KT88 and IF you design a circuit for the maximum allowed current for a KT88, the 6550s may not be able to handle it. This is where you'd somehow measure how high the current is, and look for the spec sheet on 6550s and see if maybe certain ones can handle it, like the GE.
But it's probably better to be safe and just use 88s.

The VHTs probably run at a lower voltage than the Wizards, by a good enough margin that one can use all those types...KT88, 6550, KT90 and not sweat it.

Part of why I’m also asking this question is that for some amps like my Alessandro DAZZ (200 Watts) George Alessandro says to only use KT88’s in it and that 6550’s can’t handle it. Not sure what’s the case with Wizard KT150’s
6550’s cannot handle a large screen grid voltage. You have to supply a second supply voltage as it’s too much of a drop to triode strap with just a resistor at the rated power levels.

Last edited:
sd-aspect-1508772250-b-52h-static-display-arms-06.jpg

6550 is not an "audio" tube. It was created for servo amps in B-52 Bombers.
They're not bad in 50 watt JMP's but are sterile, brittle & harsh in 100 watt guitar amps.
Really?? Well, maybe if you've never tried GE 6550s. They are as '3D' as any EL34, or 6L6...fantastic. Winged Cs are good too, but take a back seat to the GEs.

6550’s cannot handle a large screen grid voltage. You have to supply a second supply voltage as it’s too much of a drop to do with just a resistor at the rated power levels.
I found this on an Audio site...

M-O KT88
Va -------800V max
Vg2 -----600V max
gm ------11.5mA/V
Pa+G2-- 46W max /40W rated

GE 6550A
Va--------660V max
Vg2------440V max (450V UL)
gm-------11mA/V
Pa+G2---42W/42W

The 6550A has a higher rated voltage max then the regular non A 6550. I'd imagine Rick has the Wizard close to the max rating of the 88.

Back