Ya'all realize...

• Thread starter Thread starter degenaro
  • Start date Start date
degenaro
degenaro
that on the first day we already have more posts than 3 of the builder forums? :)

That's because theory rules! I still gotta get off my ass and learn some of this. I know the major scale by heart now thanks to this forum. :)

Code001":9242f said:
That's because theory rules! I still gotta get off my ass and learn some of this. I know the major scale by heart now thanks to this forum. :)
Alright do you know which chords are in the major scale...as in Cmajor-Dm-Em, etc...
And more importantly have which power chords (as in just root-fifth)?

C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am and one more. B something. Diminished?

degenaro":81a87 said:
Alright do you know which chords are in the major scale...as in Cmajor-Dm-Em, etc...
And more importantly have which power chords (as in just root-fifth)?

Every chord in the major scale can be a root fifth because there's no 3rd.

C maj, D min, E min, F maj, G dominant, A min, B seven flat 5 (?)

I slacked yesterday, spent time with the little guy and was lazy last night.

Due to my 7 string showing up today I see much playing tonight though.

shit, this forum is going to get me back to playing instead of dicking around with buying gear.

what the hell??????

sub

Subclavian":7ed2a said:
shit, this forum is going to get me back to playing instead of dicking around with buying gear.

what the hell??????

sub

thats the most important man, i have to agree

Shiny_Surface":1cd42 said:
Every chord in the major scale can be a root fifth because there's no 3rd.

C maj, D min, E min, F maj, G dominant, A min, B seven flat 5 (?)
Well a b5 isn't a 5 though. But yes. B would be a m7b when build up to the 7th chord.
Now...what good does all this shit do you?
Say you have a progression going (only power chords) that goes Bb-E-F-A
what would you play over it (all chords for 4 beats)

degenaro":251e4 said:
Well a b5 isn't a 5 though. But yes. B would be a m7b when build up to the 7th chord.

So the B would be a B min 7 flat 5?

Well, you touched an important point that's why I'm here. I was taught the math but don't know how to apply it that well and that's what I'm hoping to learn.

Well, Bb-E-F-A are all in the C# or Db major scale.

Db maj, Eb min, F min, Gb maj, Ab Dominant, Bb min (natural minor Aeolian), C min 7 flat 5.

I think? Then you have all those substitutions that you listed the other day I'm trying to wrap my head around :?

degenaro":b7cf7 said:

Ed...what is a C mixolydian scale??

Yes, I have my lesson notes from my old jazz head and the C Mixo would be concidered the Parallel scale for Cmaj.

YOu could alwaysd root run over the key of F as well and yes again I am cheating though.

Ed and Co, just wanna say thanks for being instructors for us. I havent had chance to read thru the lessons/posts yet, but it really cool you are willing to do this for us, for free

Thanks guys :2thumbs:

Digital Jams":89fbb said:
Ed...what is a C mixolydian scale??

Yes, I have my lesson notes from my old jazz head and the C Mixo would be concidered the Parallel scale for Cmaj.

YOu could alwaysd root run over the key of F as well and yes again I am cheating though.
Flat the 7 in a C scale and you are mixolydianing it man. :D

Try C lydian dominant (flat the 7...or it's called mixo#4) over one of the backings...that's a really hip scale.

Randy Van Sykes":01d8d said:
Flat the 7 in a C scale and you are mixolydianing it man. :D

Try C lydian dominant (flat the 7...or it's called mixo#4) over one of the backings...that's a really hip scale.
Lydian b7 goes over a dom 7 though. We're still at major. Quit skipping ahead you show off. :)
But yes me loves mode 4 of melodic minor.

Ed, here's that simple power chord progression you brought up above.

Go for it :D

Attachments

As for the sample progression...it changes keys...
Here are the notes if I count just the root and fifth of each chord...
Bb,f-E,b-F,c-A,e...you would have a hybrid scale...in other words you have a few options...change scales, might as well line the stuff out like a Jazz guy would.
Something like this...
http://www.eddegenaro.com/theory/bbefa.mp3

Or when in doubt break shit down to the pentatonic...in this case Gm, and for the E, turn it into Gmajor (same as Em pentatonic, and then when the F and A rolls around just toss a F and then F# in...like so...
http://www.eddegenaro.com/theory/bbefa2.mp3

Shiny_Surface":3a18a said:
Ed, here's that simple power chord progression you brought up above.

Go for it :D
Sure, you post a progression after I have already done it myself. Faster next time. :)

Okay, well we're at simple shit...
here's a simple bass+drum loop with the Bass going from A to E.
Try this over it...
Over everything you can-depending on how you look at it-either play C major, making the progression Am to Em
G major making it Am to Em
D major making it A7 to Em
Amajor making it A to E7
of course A minor and major pentatonic as well as Eminor pentatonic or a mix of all the above will work just fine.
Just remember to play to how the bass changes, in other words don't ride the A note over the E, unless that's what you really want.
Here's the loop...
http://www.eddegenaro.com/theory/atoe.mp3

And with a quickie wank...
http://www.eddegenaro.com/theory/atoe2.mp3

Ugh...faling way behind in class. Was screwing around with my SL-1 that had a bad case of swamp ass neck..straight as an arrow.

Back