Yngwie Malmsteen vs the World 1984

• Thread starter Thread starter VH1R2
  • Start date Start date
So boring imo. I'll take satch, vai, friedman, ect,... even young jason becker over malmsteen anyday.

Meh.
It’s a pointless comparison.
Yngwie was Yngwie.
However, I won’t lie; it was shocking as hell to see Yngwie play that shit live. I saw him in late ‘84(/early ‘85?) at the Kabuki Theater in S.F., before “Marching Out” was released, and “Rising Force” was still a Japan only import.
Holy f_ck.
Yngwie lit that shit up.

It was that intro solo before "Hot on your heels" on that Steeler album. First time I heard him. Three of us high school fucks just absolutely lost our minds. 1983, stoned outta our gourds. Kick ass stereo with big Cerwin Vega speakers. Bro says "Check this shit out, dude." I'll never forget it.

It was that intro solo before "Hot on your heels" on that Steeler album. First time I heard him. Three of us high school fucks just absolutely lost our minds. 1983, stoned outta our gourds. Kick ass stereo with big Cerwin Vega speakers. Bro says "Check this shit out, dude." I'll never forget it.

I so miss that feeling, when we would first hear something so cool no one else had heard yet.

I loved those days.

That solo is really interesting, in retrospect.
So much of it is licks from Paganini’s 24 Caprices.
No one was doing that in ‘83.
It’s still pretty breathtaking in its execution.

I think if the intro in Hot on Your Heels was a standalone track, not attached to the rest of the song, it would have had much more success and recognition in that time; in the same way that Eruption is its own track. If Eruption was just an intro to a cover song, who knows if it would've been as big

I think if the intro in Hot on Your Heels was a standalone track, not attached to the rest of the song, it would have had much more success and recognition in that time; in the same way that Eruption is its own track. If Eruption was just an intro to a cover song, who knows if it would've been as big
Spot on, I think the same.

Yngwie, the greatest guitarist '84?

Yeah, for sure...for like 3 minutes then not so much.

Blows his wad too early live, repetitive and loses your interest pretty quick.
Phenomenal, no doubt. The greatest high fretboard vibrato, probably.

His songs though not so much.

I had the opportunity to see Yngwie ( second row front) on the Rising Force tour, tickets courtesy of my father. He was a music fan, but he didn't know much of him other than reading about him in the newspaper about the show. I didn't even think of playing guitar yet.

I remember it was similar of watching a circus with all the acrobatics. At that age, I really couldn't understand what was going on...but it was pretty mind-blowing for us to experience this in the same room with this guy.

Only a few short years later I picked up a guitar. Yngwie ended up being on the high list of players to delve in to....the seed was planted.

It has lead to an AMAZING journey of fantastic players of ALL shapes and sizes in every music genre. Rock, Metal, Jazz, Blues, R&B, Funk, Prog, Film Scores..all the above.

To this day, I have much respect for ANYONE who puts their time and dedication in to an instrument. The art of expression from an instrument is absolutely fascinating to me.

Yngwie, the greatest guitarist '84?

Yeah, for sure...for like 3 minutes then not so much.

Blows his wad too early live, repetitive and loses your interest pretty quick.
Phenomenal, no doubt. The greatest high fretboard vibrato, probably.

His songs though not so much.
No, it was how when he was new I think other guitarists feared him, like when EVH was new.
I had the opportunity to see Yngwie ( second row front) on the Rising Force tour, tickets courtesy of my father. He was a music fan, but he didn't know much of him other than reading about him in the newspaper about the show. I didn't even think of playing guitar yet.

I remember it was similar of watching a circus with all the acrobatics. At that age, I really couldn't understand what was going on...but it was pretty mind-blowing for us to experience this in the same room with this guy.

Only a few short years later I picked up a guitar. Yngwie ended up being on the high list of players to delve in to....the seed was planted.

It has lead to an AMAZING journey of fantastic players of ALL shapes and sizes in every music genre. Rock, Metal, Jazz, Blues, R&B, Funk, Prog, Film Scores..all the above.

To this day, I have much respect for ANYONE who puts their time and dedication in to an instrument. The art of expression from an instrument is absolutely fascinating to me.
Nicely said, props.

He was so great back then. His TONE was awesome. The problem is you hear his whole deal in the first 5 minutes. Nomatter how awesome it is, it gets old.
IMO, he was better in a band situation like Alcatraz, Rising Force. Even then, in Alcatraz, he couldn't play the tune's rhythm, while the singer sang. He played OVER everything. No control.
On his own, his albums suck. The mixes are horrendous and all that Dungeons and Dragons shit is old. He never progressed. Plus, he can't sing. Huge ego problem, which is why his good bands w/ a lead sing never lasted.
That whole wall of Marshalls he tours with is ridiculous. Grow TF up.

Back