Your take on Vox vs. Cry baby wahs?

• Thread starter Thread starter Speeddemon
  • Start date Start date
Speeddemon
Speeddemon
So, a little back story; when I started playing guitar (age 13) Jimi was one of my heroes and I wanted a wah pedal because of that.
I got a Vox V847 wah at the time and it rocked. No PSU jack, just battery use only. Some buddies had Cry Baby wahs and I never played those at the time. I remember some more seasoned guys saying they prefer the tone of the Vox.

At some point early 2000's, I got a Teese RMC3, hoping it would provide me with a physical longer throw of the foot-rocker. It was nice, but due to the hype around it, I was hoping for me. Got myself a Colorsound wah from the 70's, now *THAT'S* what I'm talkin' 'bout, whenever I wanted to play some Blaxploitation style stuff. But it did suffer from a slight volume drop. Soundwise and throw-wise, it was the best. Sold the Vox, sold the RMC, got a DOD FX17 (wah/volume), sold that, got a Tech21 Killer Wail, which I still use to this day, after replacing the pot with a Fulltone a year or so ago...
Long story short, I have reasonable wah-experience, just not with a Crybaby.

A buddy of mine is starting out with guitar and he's looking for the same stuff I did, when I started out, and he's contemplating a used Vox or Crybaby. So far I've seen that the Crybabys are cheaper than the (made in USA) Voxes. They make 'em in China now too, and those are cheaper.
Whatever he's getting, I can make it true bypass for him and probably mod it too, but what's your take on Vox vs. Crybaby, both for clean and (heavily) distorted tones?

He's on a budget, so please no Morley/Teese/Fulltone recommendations! Either Vox or Crybaby (incl. the 535Q and Mini versions). Are the Mini's just as good to use, or does it feel off, because the pedal is soo much smaller?

Your ears are good. The Vox is hands down the better sounding unit than a standard crybaby. Never tried the 535, that might make things different but I loved my Vox. Best wah for the money. Not even a question. Mini wahs are lame though. Please don't.

I use to mod the hell out of older Cry Baby's ...... the 535 pretty much has all the mods I was doing way back built in now .... I have a 535 now on my board ..... I've never A'Bed a Dunlop against a Vox ... and have only played a few Voxes in my time .

the problem with modding newer Crybabys now is that they are SMD components .... I can't vouche for the Voxes

I like morley’s….. I have the mc404 and love it but I wish the range was a little more.

If only there was a disclaimer in the original post... 😉

>>> He's on a budget, so please no Morley/Teese/Fulltone recommendations! Either Vox or Crybaby

I think the bbe fits the same budget doesn’t it? It’s often described as “a crybaby but bigger”

I thought it was pertinent

I think the bbe fits the same budget doesn’t it? It’s often described as “a crybaby but bigger”

I thought it was pertinent
Well, the other thing(s) is/are,
1) availability on the used market locally. This is not something he (and I) are looking for to score overseas off ebay or anything.
No BBE's available at the moment. There's always a decent slew of Vox and Crybaby's available used.
2) moddability. I know my way around a Vox wah. And probably around older Crybabys (pre-SMD pcb) as well.
Not around an SMD components Behringer Hell Babe for instance, which is also pretty affordable.

1726406610994.png

For what it's worth I had an early Fulltone wah as well and other than the internal trim pot adjustment and slightly extended sweep range the late 90's Vox unit I had was just as rich and watery sounding. I would love one of those newer Vox handwired wahs but I won't buy a wah again until I don't hear people using them all the time.

I use to mod the hell out of older Cry Baby's ...... the 535 pretty much has all the mods I was doing way back built in now .... I have a 535 now on my board ..... I've never A'Bed a Dunlop against a Vox ... and have only played a few Voxes in my time .

the problem with modding newer Crybabys now is that they are SMD components .... I can't vouche for the Voxes
I upgraded the inductor in my old GCB-95, and I love that thing !

Need to drag that out and record with it.

why, the Dunlop KH95 Kirk Hammett Signature Cry Baby Wah, of course.

Just be aware, you can't turn it off, and have to use it constantly. /s

shopping

I have a cry baby CBM95 mini, but don't use much wah, . I prefer the Vox wah, e.g., V846, but not worth the extra since I don't use much Wah.

If your friend likes vintage wah, and money isn't a big factor, how about the Vox Real McCoy? Vox also made a V846-HW hand wired version of the V846.

My Helix and HX-Effects have a Vox V846 model which sounds great IMO; it's all I use for wah on the rare times I want one.

I prefer the cry baby stuff. I tried and owned all the common brands. Currently have a 535q 18 watt and a MC404.
I'm probably going to pick up a Crybaby from Hell.

I can't even use a wah anymore due to Neuropathy issues. I currently have a Joe Gagan Italia wah I barely use.
The BEST wah I ever had was the Area 51. The whole range was expressive and you could make it talk.

If only there was a disclaimer in the original post... 😉

>>> He's on a budget, so please no Morley/Teese/Fulltone recommendations! Either Vox or Crybaby
The 404 is a crybaby. And that was way too much to read…lol

The 404 is a crybaby.
Ehm what? Pretty sure it says Custom Audio Electronics.

Just because Dunlop made it? By that logic a Vox is a Crybaby too. :p

Either way, 'flexible logic' (remember 'alternative facts'? :ROFLMAO: ) notwithstanding, that's too pricey and currently not available used.

Ehm what? Pretty sure it says Custom Audio Electronics.

Just because Dunlop made it? By that logic a Vox is a Crybaby too. :p

Either way, 'flexible logic' (remember 'alternative facts'? :ROFLMAO: ) notwithstanding, that's too pricey and currently not available used.
It identifies as a crybaby…. Now what vato? Wassup? :gethim:

Jk..🤪

I prefer the cry baby stuff. I tried and owned all the common brands. Currently have a 535q 18 watt and a MC404.
I'm probably going to pick up a Crybaby from Hell.
Today I got a new 535q 9 volt to compare with the 18 volt I bought 25 years ago.

Back