Your take on Vox vs. Cry baby wahs?

• Thread starter Thread starter Speeddemon
  • Start date Start date
I prefer the V847 over the original crybaby (535?). I think the Vox is a bit throatier, although I'm sure there's a technical explanation for what it's emphasizing that's different. The crybaby is maybe a clearer wah.

The Vox Satriani Big Bad Wah is the one I've help on to the longest. It has a couple of voicing options I really like.

I have had 7 crybabys in various forms. The best deal is the 535q, found under $50 all the time. SMD? Sure. Who cares? The remaining mods can still be done on it.

FWIW, there are many through hole dunlops still in production. Just find the cheapest and go to town. Most basic wahs are the same circuit with only a few differences in component values.

I have experience use vox to me seem more vintage but I have pedal for many years. I like to try krybabi some day to see if like better

So I played on the new 535q last night. It sounds a bit different. I believe it has a different inductor and pot.

I need to plug both in and try them side by side.

I like the vox for clean tones but much prefer the Zack Wyler crybaby for high gain tones. Just my opinion

There is so many different types of wah sounds it's like asking what is your favorite type of ice cream.

I tend to prefer more modern darker tones most of the time. But like the vintage brighter wah sounds also. I believe it is more about applications than anything.

I bought a ton of wah's many years ago. I had Teese, Fulltone, original cry baby, etc. I had Rick Weaver make me one. I think I've had it 15+ years. It's just a great sounding wah that works for all styles of music.

Kirk Hammet
why, the Dunlop KH95 Kirk Hammett Signature Cry Baby Wah, of course.

Just be aware, you can't turn it off, and have to use it constantly. /s

shopping

I have a cry baby CBM95 mini, but don't use much wah, . I prefer the Vox wah, e.g., V846, but not worth the extra since I don't use much Wah.

If your friend likes vintage wah, and money isn't a big factor, how about the Vox Real McCoy? Vox also made a V846-HW hand wired version of the V846.

My Helix and HX-Effects have a Vox V846 model which sounds great IMO; it's all I use for wah on the rare times I want one.

That is the most badass WAHWAH

100%

Back