Warmoth guitars, what are your opinions?

Mr. Willy

Any of you have experience with Warmoth guitars or have built one? What's the quality like? I'm thinking of building one so I don't have to take my PRS to gigs. What say you?

I'd be interested to see the posts too. I checked them out not too long ago... They seem pretty 'on it' with the build and options. But then, Carvin is there too, but just not offering the same types of body styles.

I'd be interested in building one just for science - you know, see if it really is all that and then some.

V. :yes:

I'm interested because I'd like to build a guitar to my specs, so to speak, that I wouldn't worry too much about getting banged around. I love my PRS, but it was a gift from my wife and I'd hate for something nasty to happen to it. I want a guitar I can use and abuse.

Their parts are excellent, top quality on par with anyone. I also like Musikraft/Jamerson myself. I have a few guitars built with parts from both of them. I tend to mix and match, although I have one guitar that is a Warmoth neck, body, and paint that I bought off of ebay from some guy that had Warmoth do the whole guitar. I think he paid $1500 for a custom Musiclander. I paid $500 when he had to sell it. It is well worth what he paid in terms of parts and build quality....even better for what I paid. I mean, the hardware guitar itself in this case was nothing I would have ordered, but turned out to be one of my favorites. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. It is a Musiclander body in sort of a maroon color (which is quite nice) with EMG Kerry King package, Schaller Floyd, Planet Waves locking tuners, and all black hardware. It has a 24 fret neck with an ebony fretboard and and really nice maple neck. I am not sure what the body is made out of. It sounds and plays great. I once had it at GC when I was testing out amps and got a lot of compliments on it. The rest of my Warmoths are Strat parts guitars....necks and bodies.

Mr. Willy":yacu15pt said:
I'm interested because I'd like to build a guitar to my specs, so to speak, that I wouldn't worry too much about getting banged around. I love my PRS, but it was a gift from my wife and I'd hate for something nasty to happen to it. I want a guitar I can use and abuse.

Not trying to be the "guitars are meant to be played" police, but once it has its first ding, the rest come naturally and don't feel as bad. Another option is to get a cheaper PRS and take that one to gigs :rock: You can find some good used deals on ebay still.

I've also heard good things about USA custom guitars. Haven't had any personal experience with any of them, but USA customs has a body shape that I want to get whenever I go down that route.

I had a nightmare with their customer service, took a lot of complaints to get my order right but the final guitar turned out fantastic.
DSCN0276.jpg

I just ordered a neck and body from USACG. They'll be shipped to me in a few weeks, so I can't say anything about the quality or anything at this time. I've looked around online and the only (few) instances in which people had any kind of issue, Tommy (at USACG) took care of them. Warmoth may have some more exotic woods, more options, and may (or maybe not) higher quality, but I will say Tommy has been an absolute joy to deal with. We were on the phone for probably an hour talking about the woods, the neck, tone, amps, random shit....just a very cool cool guy.

I think all the big names are going to get you pretty nice stuff. It's a matter of price and customer service at that point, for me anyways.

broknstuff":g2mqztu2 said:
Mr. Willy":g2mqztu2 said:

Not trying to be the "guitars are meant to be played" police, but once it has its first ding, the rest come naturally and don't feel as bad. Another option is to get a cheaper PRS and take that one to gigs :rock: You can find some good used deals on ebay still.

I've also heard good things about USA custom guitars. Haven't had any personal experience with any of them, but USA customs has a body shape that I want to get whenever I go down that route.

I've considered another PRS like a CE model. My current PRS has a couple of small dings already. Believe me, I play it a lot. I just don't want to worry about someone stealing it. I keep my eye on my equipment like a hawk, but I just don't want it to dissappear. Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but this guitar has a lot of sentimental value. That's the main concern more than a ding or two.

wolf5150":2ovkyfsv said:
I had a nightmare with their customer service, took a lot of complaints to get my order right but the final guitar turned out fantastic.
DSCN0276.jpg

Very nice guitar man! That's the same color scheme and style I was thinking about. Is that an actual Charvel neck, or is it a decal?

Warmoth is great, or atleast mine turned out great.

however, Carvin would be my choice to replace a 25" PRS.

also, when all is said and done Warmoth isn't necessarily cheap.

I think the quality is good, I played one that felt fantastic, but a local guy did the setup, and man did he do a good job on it.
In the end, I would say its all about who sets it up ;)

I agree. Warmoth, USACG, allparts - it's all good stuff. But final assembly and setup really make or break the guitar. In a big way.

A Warmoth with no pro setup plays like a 500 guitar. A Warmoth with a pro nut job and fret crown and level plays like a 1500+ guitar.

I have had good luck with Warmoth but only for parts though. Never bought a complete guitar from them. Closest I got was the neck and body one time. Both arrived without problem and the fit was excellent. The finished guitar kicked ass, too bad I had to sell it :-(

glpg80":1iwd404o said:
Capulin Overdrive":1iwd404o said:
Carvin would be my choice

over warmoth anyday.

I would have to respectfully disagree with this. I do like Carvin, but they are apples and oranges here not one or the other. Besides, it is not like Carvin is a true custom shop, you can get a custom Carvin, but Carvin doesn't build whatever you want. I have played quite a few Carvin dogs, and quite a few awesome Carvins. The good thing with them is if you order one and don't like it, they take it back and will satisfy you. The customer service is very good from what I hear. Plenty of high end builders have been known to use Warmoth parts at one time or another in their own builds.

RockStarNick":6d5cs8go said:
I agree. Warmoth, USACG, allparts - it's all good stuff. But final assembly and setup really make or break the guitar. In a big way.

A Warmoth with no pro setup plays like a 500 guitar. A Warmoth with a pro nut job and fret crown and level plays like a 1500+ guitar.

This. I always like to scour ebay for Warmoth deals and when I can I put together guitars from those. Lots of times you can find $500 necks for $200 because so and so needs the money that he never used or some crazy body that would have cost at least $500 for half that. Yeah, maybe it isn't exactly how you would have ordered it, but neither is that off the rack guitar. Have it setup the way you want, or set it up yourself and it will be a crazy good guitar for very little money.

One of the things i wanted to do for 2011 was put together a warmoth tele as a project guitar. The final stage would be getting a PLEK setup done on it which would make it a fantastic playing guitar

I wish there was more neck thru guitar companies.
Musikraft does them but I saw one on eBay and the neck joint looked pretty bad.
I don't think anybody builds a LP style guitar,neck thru anyway.
I'm curious as to know if Warmoth would build a Suhr modern body.

Back