NAD: Cameron CCV

FourT6and2

Got this one from mhenson42 on Rig-Talk (thanks, Matt!) :D

Running SED =C= in the power section and Chinese preamps through my Bogner 4x12 with G12-65s. I also tried it out through a Mills 4x12 with V30s and a Marshall 4x12 with G12C-25s (whatever those are). So far, I don't know what to make of it. It's a smooth, dark amp. Lots of low-end. Mids are present but the emphasis is down lower in the mid-range than I would have thought. It's closer to a Bogner than a Marshall. My Chupacabra is more aggressive and mean and has more of a growl/snarl. The CCV is very smooth and "round" almost like my Diezel, in low-end.

Cleans are actually really nice. More glassy compared to my Diezel and has some nice upper-mid bite at the same time. Channel 1 is almost like a dedicated JMP. Dime the gain and flip the Jose switch and it's like a boosted Super Lead. Flip the bright switch and back off the gain a bit and you got some AC/DC type stuff.

I still haven't figured out Channel 2. There are a lot of tonal variations here with the three switches and two gains. I don't play 80's metal or anything. 90's hard rock and prog rock are my thing, maybe a little modern metal thrown in. It's an interesting amp.

I wish the amp were more snarly and mean, though. More aggressive. It's tame compared to my Chupacabra. Maybe the CCM would be more up my alley. But I guess those aren't in production. Oh well. I need to play with the amp more. And maybe I need to find a 4x12 with G12H-30 speakers. Because the 65s are great with my other amps, but not so much with the CCV. Maybe then the amp will growl more. Or at least some Greenbacks. But this amp is loud as fuck.

In any event, it's a cool amp and I'm gonna keep it for a while. :)

Pics!

ccv_2_by_haftelm-d5foi71.jpg

ccv_by_haftelm-d5foi4i.jpg

LP Freak":2aeif29t said:
I wasn't too big on the diode clipping on ch 2. I always ran mine with it off.

Why didn't you like the diode clipping on Ch 2? Just curious since I will be getting one of these in the near future!!

metalmaniac93":2emesupf said:
LP Freak":2emesupf said:

Why didn't you like the diode clipping on Ch 2? Just curious since I will be getting one of these in the near future!!
It looses the raw vintage vibe that I'm more into.

LP Freak":vsfimzm8 said:

Is the diode clipping the Gain Style switch? Or the "Jose" switch above the master? My Chupacabra sounds great with the diode clipping engaged. Very different from the CCV. The CCV has a bit of fizz in the high-end with the gain-style switch engaged (not the one over the master).

LP Freak":3tdvy8ub said:
metalmaniac93":3tdvy8ub said:
LP Freak":3tdvy8ub said:

It looses the raw vintage vibe that I'm more into.

Got it!!! Thanks!! I agree with that!!! I run my Atomica in the HG channel with the diode switch on the back engaged in the middle.

FourT6and2":3a8h2soy said:
LP Freak":3a8h2soy said:

Is the diode clipping the Gain Style switch? Or the "Jose" switch above the master? My Chupacabra sounds great with the diode clipping engaged. Very different from the CCV. The CCV has a bit of fizz in the high-end with the gain-style switch engaged (not the one over the master).
The switch you're refering to is the same switch and it is the diode switch.

LP Freak":zrd43pqc said:
FourT6and2":zrd43pqc said:
LP Freak":zrd43pqc said:

Ok, yeah. the "Gain-Style" switch by the guitar input is weird. I like the saturation the amp gets and the higher-gain. But the amp definitely gets fizzy when you engage it. My Chupacabra, on the other hand, does not get fizzy when the diodes are engaged. But it engages diodes when you flip the "era" switch, which is the same as the "Jose" switch over the master on the CCV. I'm pretty sure the switch over the master volume on the CCV engages diodes, too...

EDIT:

Whoops. I meant "Drive" switch. The "Gain Style" is the "Jose" switch over the master. The "Drive" switch is the one I'm not liking.

FourT6and2":1obodw90 said:
LP Freak":1obodw90 said:
FourT6and2":1obodw90 said:
LP Freak":1obodw90 said:

Ok, yeah. the "Gain-Style" switch by the guitar input is weird. I like the saturation the amp gets and the higher-gain. But the amp definitely gets fizzy when you engage it. My Chupacabra, on the other hand, does not get fizzy when the diodes are engaged. But it engages diodes when you flip the "era" switch, which is the same as the "Jose" switch over the master on the CCV. I'm pretty sure the switch over the master volume on the CCV engages diodes, too...

EDIT:

Whoops. I meant "Drive" switch. The "Gain Style" is the "Jose" switch over the master. The "Drive" switch is the one I'm not liking.

Damn, I do not like fizzy!!!

FourT6and2":zbn1oj62 said:
LP Freak":zbn1oj62 said:
FourT6and2":zbn1oj62 said:
LP Freak":zbn1oj62 said:

EDIT:

:LOL: :LOL: The drive sounds best to the left or right. Depends on your other settings.

LP Freak":1zzq4xe9 said:
FourT6and2":1zzq4xe9 said:
FourT6and2":1zzq4xe9 said:

EDIT:

:LOL: :LOL: The drive sounds best to the left or right. Depends on your other settings.

Yeah, I play around with all those switches. Mark gave that amp switches. Bitches love switches.

FourT6and2":1mgwd0wp said:
I wish the amp were more snarly and mean, though. More aggressive. It's tame compared to my Chupacabra.

I read the thread title and was like "Whaaaaaaat?"

We have a lot of the same tastes in what we like to play, and I was shocked that you got this.....I don't think I'd ever consider this for what I like to play, and my first thought after the above was "it's gotta be pretty weak compared to the Chupa".

Whatever bro......different flavors make the world go round....here's hoping you can make it part of your own sound and it works for you.

HNAD, man....beat it into submission. :thumbsup:

Steinmetzify":1uh4fgc0 said:
FourT6and2":1uh4fgc0 said:
I wish the amp were more snarly and mean, though. More aggressive. It's tame compared to my Chupacabra.

I read the thread title and was like "Whaaaaaaat?"

We have a lot of the same tastes in what we like to play, and I was shocked that you got this.....I don't think I'd ever consider this for what I like to play, and my first thought after the above was "it's gotta be pretty weak compared to the Chupa".

Whatever bro......different flavors make the world go round....here's hoping you can make it part of your own sound and it works for you.

HNAD, man....beat it into submission. :thumbsup:

:) Yeah, it's not a bad amp. It's just not what I thought it would be. Everyone always talks about the "mean, snarly, Cameron sound." But this amp is smooth and dark. The opposite of a hot-rodded Marshall. It's very close to a Bogner XTC.

FourT6and2":3moqzxz3 said:
Because the 65s are great with my other amps, but not so much with the CCV.

For what it is worth, I know Mark Cameron is a big fan of 65 watt Celestions.

Chubtone":1pvjbtc5 said:
FourT6and2":1pvjbtc5 said:
Because the 65s are great with my other amps, but not so much with the CCV.

For what it is worth, I know Mark Cameron is a big fan of 65 watt Celestions.
Do you know the secret Cameron handshake? .... men who are special do.

Back