NAD: Cameron CCV

I find it weird, and I'm sure it's just me, but my old CCV had screws through the name plate. Yours does not. Is this one of the very first few that came out before the actual first run?

garey77":kgyt1noh said:
I find it weird, and I'm sure it's just me, but my old CCV had screws through the name plate. Yours does not. Is this one of the very first few that came out before the actual first run?

Parts like the chassis and faceplates were much thicker and robust on the Chris Schmidt era CCVs. To me they sound totally different, I prefer the Schmidt-era sound wise but a lot of them varied in build quality/sound. The Barrang/King era CCVs just did not sound the same to me or as angry as the original CCVs. I know a few members here preferred the King/Barrang era CCVs or they thought they sounded the same so I am not knocking them just pointing out what I personally noticed.

metalmaniac93":2ljqob1u said:
FourT6and2":2ljqob1u said:
LP Freak":2ljqob1u said:
FourT6and2":2ljqob1u said:
LP Freak":2ljqob1u said:
I wasn't too big on the diode clipping on ch 2. I always ran mine with it off.

Is the diode clipping the Gain Style switch? Or the "Jose" switch above the master? My Chupacabra sounds great with the diode clipping engaged. Very different from the CCV. The CCV has a bit of fizz in the high-end with the gain-style switch engaged (not the one over the master).
The switch you're refering to is the same switch and it is the diode switch.

Ok, yeah. the "Gain-Style" switch by the guitar input is weird. I like the saturation the amp gets and the higher-gain. But the amp definitely gets fizzy when you engage it. My Chupacabra, on the other hand, does not get fizzy when the diodes are engaged. But it engages diodes when you flip the "era" switch, which is the same as the "Jose" switch over the master on the CCV. I'm pretty sure the switch over the master volume on the CCV engages diodes, too...

EDIT:

Whoops. I meant "Drive" switch. The "Gain Style" is the "Jose" switch over the master. The "Drive" switch is the one I'm not liking.

Damn, I do not like fizzy!!!

FourT6and2,

You can dial in good tone or bad. If you set it for max gain and are playing at real low levels it will get fizzy, but so will most amps. Speakers are important too, but I am sure you know that from reading all the Cameron posts here.

If the sound you want is based off of a modded Marshall, with the right speakers you should be fine.

EXPcustom":3vc9prmf said:
garey77":3vc9prmf said:

Parts like the chassis and faceplates were much thicker and robust on the Chris Schmidt era CCVs. To me they sound totally different, I prefer the Schmidt-era sound wise but a lot of them varied in build quality/sound. The Barrang/King era CCVs just did not sound the same to me or as angry as the original CCVs. I know a few members here preferred the King/Barrang era CCVs or they thought they sounded the same so I am not knocking them just pointing out what I personally noticed.

This is a Barrang production model.

guitarmike":3vc9prmf said:
metalmaniac93":3vc9prmf said:
FourT6and2":3vc9prmf said:
LP Freak":3vc9prmf said:
FourT6and2":3vc9prmf said:
LP Freak":3vc9prmf said:
I wasn't too big on the diode clipping on ch 2. I always ran mine with it off.

Is the diode clipping the Gain Style switch? Or the "Jose" switch above the master? My Chupacabra sounds great with the diode clipping engaged. Very different from the CCV. The CCV has a bit of fizz in the high-end with the gain-style switch engaged (not the one over the master).
The switch you're refering to is the same switch and it is the diode switch.

Ok, yeah. the "Gain-Style" switch by the guitar input is weird. I like the saturation the amp gets and the higher-gain. But the amp definitely gets fizzy when you engage it. My Chupacabra, on the other hand, does not get fizzy when the diodes are engaged. But it engages diodes when you flip the "era" switch, which is the same as the "Jose" switch over the master on the CCV. I'm pretty sure the switch over the master volume on the CCV engages diodes, too...

EDIT:

Whoops. I meant "Drive" switch. The "Gain Style" is the "Jose" switch over the master. The "Drive" switch is the one I'm not liking.

Damn, I do not like fizzy!!!

FourT6and2,

You can dial in good tone or bad. If you set it for max gain and are playing at real low levels it will get fizzy, but so will most amps. Speakers are important too, but I am sure you know that from reading all the Cameron posts here.

If the sound you want is based off of a modded Marshall, with the right speakers you should be fine.

Yeah, I know all about everything you just said. Don't let the photos I posted fool you. That's not where I had all the knobs set. I took that photo after unloading the amp from my car and the knobs had moved. I had the amp cranked when testing it out.

If you really want to get the CCV in the "oh shit" mode -- jump the FX loop, crank the channel master up to around 2:00 and use the loop level return as an overall master.

Stand back.....

steve_k":34y3xtma said:
If you really want to get the CCV in the "oh shit" mode -- jump the FX loop, crank the channel master up to around 2:00 and use the loop level return as an overall master.

Stand back.....
Only problem with that is it has tone suck with the loop on. :scared:

LP Freak":1bpn1ugm said:
steve_k":1bpn1ugm said:

Stand back.....

The pre brad CCV had the tone suck loop the Brad era one is a different loop and the trick that steve k suggested works very nicely with the brad era CCV

custom62":2uwwwalg said:
LP Freak":2uwwwalg said:
steve_k":2uwwwalg said:

Stand back.....

The pre brad CCV had the tone suck loop the Brad era one is a different loop and the trick that steve k suggested works very nicely with the brad era CCV
They both do.

LP Freak":1f6xy7xh said:
steve_k":1f6xy7xh said:

Stand back.....
That is what a hated about my CCV big time...Could not use the loop!!

splawner":1k59dvo3 said:
LP Freak":1k59dvo3 said:
steve_k":1k59dvo3 said:

Stand back.....
That is what a hated about my CCV big time...Could not use the loop!!
It's amazing that some people can't hear the difference. :doh:

FourT6and2":dxw41mrp said:
I will try that with the FX loop. But the loop on this CCV is very noisy... It might cause issues.
Something's not right there because it's a pretty quiet loop.

LP Freak":1morw3pr said:
FourT6and2":1morw3pr said:
I will try that with the FX loop. But the loop on this CCV is very noisy... It might cause issues.
Something's not right there because it's a pretty quiet loop.

You're right. I think Dave fixed it. It was noisy before. But I sent the amp to Friedman for checking over and I hadn't used the loop since I got it back.

I think I need to revise my review:

I plugged in a short patch cable and set the master to about 2:30 - 3:00. And used the FX level as the amp's master. Wow. What a difference. :rock:

Channel 2 settings:

Master: 3:00
Gain Style: Left
Bass: 10:30
Middle: Maxed
Treble: 1:30
Gain 2: 3:30
Bright 2: Center
Gain 1: 10:30
Bright 1: Left
Drive: Right
Punch: 10:30
Presence: Noon
Voicing & Dark: Center

Amp is still dark and smooth compared to most Marshalls and my Chupacabra. But is definitely meaner, more aggressive, and has a little snarl in the mids. It's also less fizzy, more open, less compressed. And the FX Loop level knob has a better taper than the Master. Still sounds like a Bogner, though. Which isn't a bad thing. :D

I actually really like this sound now. Thanks for the suggestion!

Try this-

Voicing and Dark set to middle positions
Punch at 10 o'clock
Presence at 1 or 2 o'clock
Gain Style to the left
Bright 2 far left/Bright 1 far right
Drop the Bass to 10 o'clock
Mids and Treble up at 2 o'clock
Gains at about 11 o'clock

jcj":2jss4pi8 said:
Try this-

Punch at 10 o'clock
Gain Style to the left

Using the loop as the master or no?

FourT6and2":2bgat1s7 said:
jcj":2bgat1s7 said:
Try this-

Punch at 10 o'clock
Gain Style to the left

Shouldn't matter with a bit of volume; how low are you playing?

jcj":dkxsyrry said:
FourT6and2":dkxsyrry said:
jcj":dkxsyrry said:
Try this-

Punch at 10 o'clock
Gain Style to the left

Shouldn't matter with a bit of volume; how low are you playing?

What about the drive switch, in the center? Right now I'm in my apartment. So not that loud. Without the loop, master at 9:00.

Back