Friedman Vintage Plexi

I thought Dave had been saying "sonic clone" since obviously there are some circuit changes with the variac switch and master volume. Either way it sounds amazing in the clips so far. I use a FX loop live so my only interest in an amp like this live would be for recording and can't justify the price but I sure would love to spend some time with one someday. Can't wait for the comparisons with the SL67s.
Yes, I heard the same…a sonic recreation

To me it is between this, the SUHR Mark II and the Tone King Royalist Mark III. The Royalist has the best price point from what I can tell. They are all doing the same thing, variac I'd just buy for 80$. Dave has mentioned you don't even need to bias the output tubes hotter, it just sounds a bit better.
Is the Friedman automatically biased hotter when it's on the Variac setting?

And this automatically happens with every (marshall) tube amp circuit if you drop the Voltage or some engineering went into the friedmann specifically on this behaviour?
It designed into the variac. I’m sure it’s similar to what George uses on the Metro amps

And this automatically happens with every (marshall) tube amp circuit if you drop the Voltage or some engineering went into the friedmann specifically on this behaviour?

You have to modify the bias circuit, the bias doesn't magically go up if you lower the input voltage to the amp. There are two ways to do it, at the primary or at the secondary. I suspect this is at the primary since Dave has mentioned the lowering of the heater voltage is part of the sound when using the variac.

Well, it seems we have an answer about the new PPIMV (from the SLOClone forum) :

1707057453279.png

Here is the interestng part of the video of the message :

It seems based on a Trainwreck Type-3 Master Volume, except this latter uses a 1Meg dual single pot :

https://robrobinette.com/Generic_Tube_Amp_Mods.htm#Lar-Mar_MV

So two questions now :
- Why a 250K dual pot instead of a 1Meg ?
- If it is an inprovment, why did we need to wait for 2024 for it ?

Last edited:
- If it is an inprovment, why did we need to wait for 2024 for it ?
Dave's been using this MV in mods for a while. I had him do it a few years ago to a Plexi I used to have.

I'd think of it more as "why did it take him so long to put out a production Plexi".

Back