Friedman Vintage Plexi

I've had a few over the years as PA power living in the southeast. Very common. Those things weigh as much as a tank!
I think having all of that Wattage like the H&H's on tap the Peavey CS800 would probably sound pretty close to an H&H and they have 1/4" jacks on the input and ouputs to connect to multiple 4x12's. I may pick one up one of these days just to try one out.

I think having all of that Wattage like the H&H's on tap the Peavey CS800 would probably sound pretty close to an H&H and they have 1/4" jacks on the input and ouputs to connect to multiple 4x12's. I may pick one up one of these days just to try one out.
Even if it doesn't...you'll have an anchor for your yacht. (old southeast joke)

What Marshall SHOULD be doing, is doing a 1 watt plexi. Crankable .. that's what we want. Crank it without attenuation which changes things. There is the play. Those little bastards they did a few years back sounded good.

What Marshall SHOULD be doing, is doing a 1 watt plexi. Crankable .. that's what we want. Crank it without attenuation which changes things. There is the play. Those little bastards they did a few years back sounded good.

They may sound good but it just isn't the same experience or feel as playing a 50 or 100 watt amp. Now if you slave that 1 watt amp into a larger power amp you might get closer to the same experience. But after all these years a 100 watt amp just covers all the bases for me even at low volumes.

They may sound good but it just isn't the same experience or feel as playing a 50 or 100 watt amp. Now if you slave that 1 watt amp into a larger power amp you might get closer to the same experience. But after all these years a 100 watt amp just covers all the bases for me even at low volumes.
I guess...but I think that's the niche that is missing. Personally attenuation below half way still sucks. With a NMV thwt means i still have to play loud. I suppose load box and IR's can solve that problem though

I guess...but I think that's the niche that is missing. Personally attenuation below half way still sucks. With a NMV thwt means i still have to play loud. I suppose load box and IR's can solve that problem though
1 Watt NMV is still quite loud really to get it clipping and once you start turning it up it loses headroom, punch and it runs out of ass. This has been my experience with my 3 watt single ended Jose modded 2203 amp. It sounds great but playing through my 50 and 100 watt Marshall's have the entire package that I fully enjoy.

The Mojave Dirty boy was designed as a low wattage amp getting reamped by another bigger power amp in one amp to my understanding. I don't think these really took off but it is interesting to say the least.

Guytron was another that had a small EL84 based amp hitting a 100 watt EL34 power section. I always wanted to try the FV version or later revisions as the original just didn’t have enough top end rawness for me but still pretty toneful.

That might take away from BE100 sales. He had a Plexi model that George Metropolous built when they had a partnership. There were some clip of it at the time. It was never said it was an EVH leaning amp just a plexi model.

Looks like it was 2011.................
http://forum.metropoulos.net/viewtopic.php?t=36962

Metro-Friedman "plexi" ready to go!

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 pm

After a few final tweaks and some critical listening the Metro-Friedman plexi collaboration amp is available to order.

The jist of the amp is:

aggressive plexi that begs to be dimed and retains detail at this setting

voiced for "brown" tones but also covers all the tones from '68 era and up Superleads

includes a 3 way power switch for OFF / ON NORMAL / ON VARIAC

the variac setting simply drops all the voltages in the amp, like an external variac set to 90V AC

6CA7 output tubes

1968 era specs

Price is $3,200 USD

The amps are assembled here at Metro. I should be able to start shipping in 3-4 weeks. Contact me for more info and ordering: sales@metroamp.com

In the LA area you can stop in Tone Merchants in North Hollywood for a demo.

George
Thanks. Soo, 13 years later, just reggurgiatating the same thing!

Is this the video you are talking about? DR does 4 seconds of "Unchained" after some prodding by Dave F :) The amp sounds like it is really fun to play.

Sure sounds like it checks alot of the plexi boxes IMHO................I wonder if Dave is running his usual Vintage 30 and Greenbacks in the 4x12 cabinets in the clip?????

Sure sounds like it checks alot of the plexi boxes IMHO................I wonder if Dave is running his usual Vintage 30 and Greenbacks in the 4x12 cabinets in the clip?????
I wonder too. It sound phenomenal. Lots of questions I'm sure will be answered soon. I've heard the amp should come out by end of April beginning of May.
Seems Doug is playing the PLEX though a PS2. Wonder if the master volume will yield the same tone. Really looking forward to picking one up.

Man he's ripping in that video. Such great touch and feel from DR. Amp sounds amazing but DR makes most amps sound their best.
Agreed! He is so freakin' good. Amazing sense of feel. That said, I am really interested in hearing what people think of the amp when it comes out and how it compares to the Suhr SL67 and Metropoulos Metro-Plex.

Agreed! He is so freakin' good. Amazing sense of feel. That said, I am really interested in hearing what people think of the amp when it comes out and how it compares to the Suhr SL67 and Metropoulos Metro-Plex.
I’ve been wondering the same thing.

The Metroplex MKII has G’s emulation magic happening, but the Suhr SLs seem very similar to the Plex; variac switch and other EVH tweaks, and I think their MVs are similar. Someone needs to do an A/B clip with them.

So, are there any real differences between the Plex and SL67? I believe the Plex is PCB—maybe?—and the SL67 is a turret board. But circuit and features seem to be pretty damn similar. Curious.

Back