Friedman Vintage Plexi

dstroud

I’m seeing pics of a Friedman Vintage Plexi 50 watt amp. Not finding much info, anyone at NAMM got the scoop? TIA
edit - just saw a vid of Doug Rappaport playing it, sounded killer. I think I see Fryette Power Stations under it, wonder if there’s no master

Last edited:
There's a master (labeled MVC according to the pics), but Dave said in a Tone-Talk that he preferred the Power Station.

I’m seeing pics of a Friedman Vintage Plexi 50 watt amp. Not finding much info, anyone at NAMM got the scoop? TIA
edit - just saw a vid of Doug Rappaport playing it, sounded killer. I think I see Fryette Power Stations under it, wonder if there’s no master

Link us up bro! I was not aware this would pop so soon.. saw that they have a 20 watt synergy rig. Lots of on board Two Notes IR stuff happening these days. Two Notes definitely cornered the market on this. Good for them.

Link us up bro! I was not aware this would pop so soon.. saw that they have a 20 watt synergy rig. Lots of on board Two Notes IR stuff happening these days. Two Notes definitely cornered the market on this. Good for them.
ahh its a facebook vid, i cant share it

rockin dippy ....
I heard couple years ago dippy went up to D. Aldrich asking him to sign something @ NAMM and Doug told him gtfo. lol
Butthurt insued.
It's strange that Doug would tell someone to beat it.. seemed like a cool guy live and hung around to chat with a few people and take some pics when they went through my town. Also on line he is always willing to be interviewed or do gear walkthroughs. Chippy must have really rubbed him the wrong way.

I'm sure it's cool and all, but how about making something original?

Maybe an EVH amp since he's been inside of the original. (y)
That might take away from BE100 sales. He had a Plexi model that George Metropolous built when they had a partnership. There were some clip of it at the time. It was never said it was an EVH leaning amp just a plexi model.

Looks like it was 2011.................
http://forum.metropoulos.net/viewtopic.php?t=36962

Metro-Friedman "plexi" ready to go!

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:05 pm

After a few final tweaks and some critical listening the Metro-Friedman plexi collaboration amp is available to order.

The jist of the amp is:

aggressive plexi that begs to be dimed and retains detail at this setting

voiced for "brown" tones but also covers all the tones from '68 era and up Superleads

includes a 3 way power switch for OFF / ON NORMAL / ON VARIAC

the variac setting simply drops all the voltages in the amp, like an external variac set to 90V AC

6CA7 output tubes

1968 era specs

Price is $3,200 USD

The amps are assembled here at Metro. I should be able to start shipping in 3-4 weeks. Contact me for more info and ordering: sales@metroamp.com

In the LA area you can stop in Tone Merchants in North Hollywood for a demo.

George

I was kinda thinking that might be what this is.

I think it is a few of the things he saw.. a fat cap, 50k mid pot to prevent the treble from crashing when you pin it and a variac. He has said many times there is no secret sauce here.. like 3 to 4 value tweaks and variac and the rest is your hands and ability to get what you get out of the amp. I think it looks like there may be switches for bypass cap values and probably bright cap value switch. Really nothing special besides the Friedman name and sozo caps. Good quality transformers. Almost redundant on the heels of the Suhr V2 but Friedman knows people want it so why not. You can never have too many Plexi or 800 clones out there. Two of the best circuits ever designed.

I think it is a few of the things he saw.. a fat cap, 50k mid pot to prevent the treble from crashing when you pin it and a variac. He has said many times there is no secret sauce here.. like 3 to 4 value tweaks and variac and the rest is your hands and ability to get what you get out of the amp. I think it looks like there may be switches for bypass cap values and probably bright cap value switch. Really nothing special besides the Friedman name and sozo caps. Good quality transformers. Almost redundant on the heels of the Suhr V2 but Friedman knows people want it so why not. You can never have too many Plexi or 800 clones out there. Two of the best circuits ever designed.
yeah with all he’s seen/heard/worked on I would think this is best of the best although I gotta say, my Blankenships feel the best of any I’ve played

I don't know. A great clone, with Merren Trans and all the modern repro 'good stuff' caps etc....still doesn't measure up to a good early 70s real deal Marshall.
With what these will cost, around 4K I can still get the real thing and sound better.
IMO, YMMV.
I wonder though..give a clone 40 years to burn in... I wonder how much of that magic is component drift and composition. If it isn't, then it's all on the transformers and I have to believe we can make comparable now.

I wonder though..give a clone 40 years to burn in... I wonder how much of that magic is component drift and composition. If it isn't, then it's all on the transformers and I have to believe we can make comparable now.
I recently traded a 72 cab for a 72 50w lead. The amp had lots of orange drops in place of the yellow chicklets like my 100 has. Sounded very clean, not much crunch unless dimed. Got some vintage Phillips Chicklets in, (they are MUCH cheaper than mustards thankfully) and now its got a LOT of gain, and sounds spot on to my 100.
For me, getting those garbage orange drops out and the real thing back in, completely changed it for the better. It'd be interesting to have a clone, and instead of the ZoSo caps or whatever modern repro guys use, put in those chicklets and then we'll see if it compares. If it's still very different than the transformers have to be the secret sauce.

Back