Friedman Vintage Plexi

Agreed...I listened on youtube this morning...Sounded killer. Wish a loop was involved...only cuz Dave's loops are excellent and it would open the door to easy settings.
Yeah would be easier but I guess since it doesn't work, I'd have to learn this whole plexi thang. I had a modded plexi reissue years ago that Dave modded but didn't have it long enough to fully enjoy it.

I think that's why Dave has the Power Soaks from VHT there to add in a loop correct?
Thought I saw Fryette Power Stations, but yeah basically.

I had him mod a plexi for me a while ago and when I asked for one he basically said it's worthless and to just invest in a PS.

Adding an insert loop is pretty simple on a Plexi type amp. Then just use a buffer on the input and output of any pedals you use and you’ll be good.

An effects loop will never work on a plexi, too much dirt comes after the loop so you may as well just run your effects up front.
Works in the Bugera 1960 infinitum incredibly well..Def not the same as up front. If Bugera can do it ..

A tuned Plexi is really gainy. This is how my 1970 Plexi sounds. @RedPlated got it in shape with the right component values and you would be surprised how much gain it has. To be clear it is not modded, just the best component values.
True story.

I recently traded a 72 cab for a 72 50, always wanted to try one since YJM searched them out since they have more gain, according to legend...When I opened it up it had all the good stuff replaced by orange drops. Ugh. But, I grabbed some vintage yellow Philips Chicklets and wow what a difference...it sounded closer to a Fender when I got it; after putting in the original parts it gains up super quick up the volumes.
Luckily the chiclets are MUCH cheaper than Mustards. My other 72 is filled with mostly chiclets also.

True story.

I recently traded a 72 cab for a 72 50, always wanted to try one since YJM searched them out since they have more gain, according to legend...When I opened it up it had all the good stuff replaced by orange drops. Ugh. But, I grabbed some vintage yellow Philips Chicklets and wow what a difference...it sounded closer to a Fender when I got it; after putting in the original parts it gains up super quick up the volumes.
Luckily the chiclets are MUCH cheaper than Mustards. My other 72 is filled with mostly chiclets also.

Can you recommend which positions those caps make the most diff in? I'm assuming essentially the preamp stages. I'm getting my old Weber 1987x backup and running so I can play operation and swap out parts now while it is on the bench.

True story.

I swapped all the Mustards out in my 69 at one point for orange drops. Didnt change anything as far as gain or tone. Clearer and less ghost noting which was cool. Didn’t like how they looked in there so put all the stock ones back.
My first Marshall was a 72 50 watt. Sounded good but blew up all the time. Got a 100 awhile later and never looked back…have had 50’s since and never kept any of them.

I swapped all the Mustards out in my 69 at one point for orange drops. Didnt change anything as far as gain or tone. Clearer and less ghost noting which was cool. Didn’t like how they looked in there so put all the stock ones back.
My first Marshall was a 72 50 watt. Sounded good but blew up all the time. Got a 100 awhile later and never looked back…have had 50’s since and never kept any of them.
These are the rectangular yellow Phillips Chiclets, same as the originals in my 72 trem. The difference, after getting rid of the orange drops was astounding. Super obvious. And, the whole set was 60 bucks vs 300 or more that all Mustards would've cost.
In your case, you used Mustards and I don't have any experience changing stuff out for those. So I can't say how different, if at all, they would sound.

Old Marshalls blowing up was probably because the setting on the PT is for 110; while our voltage has been 120-125 for 50 yrs. Hasn't been 110 in a LONG time. I understand some areas might be lower, but any socket I've measured is 120+. That's why so many old Marshalls have replaced PTs.

Can you recommend which positions those caps make the most diff in? I'm assuming essentially the preamp stages. I'm getting my old Weber 1987x backup and running so I can play operation and swap out parts now while it is on the bench.
All the spots that have 0.022 uF caps. I changed all of them from the orange drops (not stock) to the chicklets(these or Mustards would've been stock.)

Both clips I’ve heard so far sound seriously fantastic.

Interesting that it is another Lar/Mar PPIMV variant like what John Suhr cooked up for the SL68MKII. I'm waiting for someone to say it's has too much gain.......or modern.

Dave's been talking about cloning his 68 Marshall for a few years now so this is it apparently. I think it sounds very good so I'm looking forward to hearing more clips.

Dave does know his shit about plexi's and Marshall and I noted that he said effect's loops in the plexi circuit adversely affects the tone and how the circuit distorts.

It would be interesting to compare the new Metro Metroplex MKII with it emulation circuits versus and actual Plexi circuit doing the real thing and see which produces the most authentic OD and feel.

Interesting that it is another Lar/Mar PPIMV variant like what John Suhr cooked up for the SL68MKII. I'm waiting for someone to say it's has too much gain.......or modern.

Dave's been talking about cloning his 68 Marshall for a few years now so this is it apparently. I think it sounds very good so I'm looking forward to hearing more clips.

Dave does know his shit about plexi's and Marshall and I noted that he said effect's loops in the plexi circuit adversely affects the tone and how the circuit distorts.

It would be interesting to compare the new Metro Metroplex MKII with it emulation circuits versus and actual Plexi circuit doing the real thing and see which produces the most authentic OD and feel.
That would definitely be interesting. I’d also really like to hear a back to back between the Suhr and Friedman. I don’t think I’ve heard any clips of the Suhrs that I like as much as the Friedman clips from NAMM. maybe except Pete Thorns SL67 clips but that was more of a mid gain rock thing

Back