Friedman Vintage Plexi

Sounds good but will it be 3500 to 4k good? Meh... I will just crank my Bugera or weber.
Same, for a premium price I’d go to someone like George M. The devils in the details and you can only make xicon resistors and synergy caps so good without nerding out on an amp by amp basis.

It makes no sense that amps like this, with very basic circuits and amount of components, cost as much as 2-3 channel amps with a lot of options. It’s not like the Transformers are made by F’n elves. Anyone who makes what is basically a 1987/59 or JTM45 shouldn’t have to go north of $2500. it’s not like a lot R&D goes into an amp like this.

Man that sounds great! It is definitely pricey but that last part he was playing was great Eddie tones. I have no doubt in the right hands with the right effects, it would nail VH. Al Estrada and that amp would be 🤩🤩🤩

It makes no sense that amps like this, with very basic circuits and amount of components, cost as much as 2-3 channel amps with a lot of options. It’s not like the Transformers are made by F’n elves. Anyone who makes what is basically a 1987/59 or JTM45 shouldn’t have to go north of $2500. it’s not like a lot R&D goes into an amp like this.
Yep, and that's why I say for the price of this amp, just get a clean original from the early 70s. Those transformers aren't made anymore, and DO sound different than even a Merren or Heyboer or whatevs.
Now, I get that this is probably more of a clone of a 67/68 and those will run you a few grand more than a 71 BUT as you say, building a clone yourself should cost no more than 2K and this type of amp shouldn't retail for more than 2500.

Pretty certain I read the price on this was $2700 which in today’s world isn’t bad. I’m interested
Is it turret board or PCB I wonder? With tax, your pretty much at 3K. I did recently get the Tone King Royalist MKIII which was 2500 plus tax but with that amp, I felt I was getting decent features and approximations of two other circuits, as well as a 1987. So far I’ve been satisfied, as the 67 setting has scratched an itch I’ve had for years.

I guess once you have 24-36 months (sometimes 48) zero financing, does a few hundred matter if the amp lights you up? Sourcing a decent players grade, non F’d with metal panel is not so easy anymore, even though I agree it would possibly be better than the Friedman. I’ve played too many old Marshall’s to know getting one without playing it first, at a high price and possibly no returns, is not exciting to me.

I think as a part of getting older, even though I know the OG is better, I only have so much time and I just want to get on with playing and if a new amp gets me 90% there and it’s readily available with support when new, or going to be trouble free/easily maintained used, I’ll be very happy diggin’ in on one of those.

I love vintage brown Fenders and old Marshalls but the hunt gets more difficult and less interesting as time marches on and prices go up (For me anyway).

Last edited:
Too many options for post gain FX for a non master circuit these days. Plus with today’s recording going more IR and direct and utilizing those options to do so, why compromise a circuit if it’s easily remedied down the chain?
I have several amps and one PS2 that I run them all through. Lot easier having one loop to leave everything that’s “loopy” in and just change the amp.

Man that sounds great! It is definitely pricey but that last part he was playing was great Eddie tones. I have no doubt in the right hands with the right effects, it would nail VH. Al Estrada and that amp would be 🤩🤩🤩
Agreed...I listened on youtube this morning...Sounded killer. Wish a loop was involved...only cuz Dave's loops are excellent and it would open the door to easy settings.

Back