Joe Satriani: “They’re gonna see someone who’s hell-bent on being the most respectful guitar player to the legacy of Eddie”

Totally disagree with your statement. Eddie's playing was raw and pure talent. He didn't care about reading music, learning every scale, etc. Vai and Satriani may be more technical players but neither can hold a candle to the volume of work Eddie has done and his popularity. Everyone was copying him and his playing style. The man just came out with killer riffs time after time. Most people couldn't name anything Vai or Satriani has done but pretty much everyone knows what Eddie has done. You don't hear many people trying to get Vai or Satchs sound, but people have been chasing Eddie's tone for years. Also, everything that he collaborated making was gold. The 5150 amps, Axis and Wolfgang guitars, etc. I don't see anyone making an impact on guitar like he did, and I don't think there will be anyone like him anytime soon.
LOL.

You're talking to me as if I'm unaware of Eddie's talent, accomplishments or the fact that he pretty much pioneered a new style of playing. None of that disproves that he was a very sloppy player live and had some major weaknesses of his own.

I got a chance to see him play live, did you?

Whether people know Vai and Satriani's names or work is irrelevant, I've already stated that Eddie's name is a household one, not sure what more-or-less repeating what I already said proves.

I would believe that Eddie is more skilled if he could nail his own solos playing live, flawlessly. Vai is playing Polyrythym stuff too, a concept Edddie couldn't grasp even at his best..

Pretending that there was won't be any guitarists as iconic as Eddie anytime soon is a joke. We already have some who are kids, and are just as big as household names - if not bigger. I want to be able say things and really believe them passionately too but there's a difference between what you don't know and what you just don't want to accept. I am unbiased when it comes to guitarists so I'll call it as I see it. Fame and familiarity don't equal skill. In terms of music theory Satriani and Vai put Eddie to shame.

Last edited:
LOL.

You're talking to me as if I'm unaware of Eddie's talent, accomplishments or the fact that he pretty much pioneered a new style of playing. None of that disproves that he was a very sloppy player live and had some major weaknesses of his own.

Whether people know Vai and Satriani's names or work is irrelevant, I've already stated that Eddie's name is a household one, not sure what more-or-less repeating what I already said proves.

I would believe that Eddie is more skilled if he could nail his own solos playing live, flawlessly. Vai is playing Polyrythym stuff too, a concept Edddie couldn't grasp even at his best..

Pretending that there was won't be any guitarists as iconic as Eddie anytime soon is a joke. We already have some
Who are kids and are just as big as household names. I want to be able say things and really believe them passionately too but there's a difference between what you don't know and what you just don't want to accept. I am unbiased when it comes to guitarists so
I'll call it as I see it. Fame and familiarity don't equal skill. In terms of music theory Satriani and Vai put Eddie to shame.

Eddie was terrible when I saw him. Never cared much for his playing or legendary tone…..still don’t. They had some cool tunes. Joe could easily play like him, just needs to start drinking.

Eddie had well known problems with alcohol so depending on when you saw him it could be wildly different. I sure would like to know who these big, house hold name kids we have now are though? 🤔

Eddie had well known problems with alcohol so depending on when you saw him it could be wildly different. I sure would like to know who these big, house hold name kids we have now are though? 🤔
That's not an excuse. You and I both know that some guitarists played their best on alcohol, Dime Darrell for example. Santana played his best on acid... point being, it's not logically an excuse.

Who's a household name since Eddie? And perhaps even more of a household name? Easily Stevie Ray Vaughn, Joe Bonamassa..

Who are kids who are more well know to this generation than Eddie? Tim Henson, Matteo Mancuso, Ichika Nito, John Mayer to name a few. Just because people here might not have heard of them, doesn't mean they are less of a household name than Eddie. But if people here know anything about guitars, then they know their name. But I'm open to hear excuses from anyone about how they magically aren't as big as Eddie or how they are unfamiliar with them. Considering each of them have the best selling guitars from Ibanez lol

As fans we are simply willing to discard the power of reach through social media platforms in order to defend a dead guitarist. How much more shameful and ignorant can we be? It's beyond me. I have alot of love for Eddie but I'm not going to keep my nostalgic blinders on and defy reality....

i will never understand how watching a guy who sounds nothing like eddie attempt to play eddie is exciting at all to anyone, even if he did it isnt gonna sound right with bonham drumming and the whole thing just seems silly to me

i will never understand how watching a guy who sounds nothing like eddie attempt to play eddie is exciting at all to anyone, even if he did it isnt gonna sound right with bonham drumming and the whole thing just seems silly to me
My thoughts exactly. The whole thing is absurd.

That's not an excuse. You and I both know that some guitarists played their best on alcohol, Dime Darrell for example. Santana played his best on acid... point being, it's not logically an excuse.

Who's a household name since Eddie? And perhaps even more of a household name? Easily Stevie Ray Vaughn, Joe Bonamassa..

Who are kids who are more well know to this generation than Eddie? Tim Henson, Matteo Mancuso, Ichika Nito, John Mayer to name a few. Just because people here might not have heard of them, doesn't mean they are less of a household name than Eddie. But if people here know anything about guitars, then they know their name. But I'm open to hear excuses from anyone about how they magically aren't as big as Eddie or how they are unfamiliar with them. Considering each of them have the best selling guitars from Ibanez lol

As fans we are simply willing to discard the power of reach through social media platforms in order to defend a dead guitarist. How much more shameful and ignorant can we be? It's beyond me. I have alot of love for Eddie but I'm not going to keep my nostalgic blinders on and defy reality....
Dude, he was a full blown alcoholic, not just let me have a few beers while I play a gig. You sure come across as young because usually only somebody young would be sure so of something so stupid.

LOL.

Pretending that there was won't be any guitarists as iconic as Eddie anytime soon is a joke. We already have some who are kids, and are just as big as household names - if not bigger. I want to be able say things and really believe them passionately too but there's a difference between what you don't know and what you just don't want to accept. I am unbiased when it comes to guitarists so I'll call it as I see it. Fame and familiarity don't equal skill. In terms of music theory Satriani and Vai put Eddie to shame.

Depends what era of VH we are talking. He got very loose and repetitive with Sammy no question but the DLR years are raw but dialed in. Incredible tone and playing live. So I wouldn't really agree with you. Then again, I'm not a Vai fan. I find his rythm playing to be extremely interesting but his heavily legato and hammer on style playing to be a bit meh.

People get excited over it.

I remember when Clapton said "I'm going to pretend I'm Jimi Hendrix" and everyone lost their minds.

I'm not a fan of anyone mimicking, but who am I to judge? After all, it's no different from any well-rounded cover band.
Dude, he was a full blown alcoholic, not just let me have a few beers while I play a gig. You sure come across as young because usually only somebody young would be sure so of something so stupid.
Right. 45 is young lol

I love how just because I disagree and point out a couple facts suddenly you're name calling now. You sure sound alot younger than me. As I said, do you research...

I’m quite curious what kind of mentally causes people to project “for the money” into fucking everything. I don’t know if it’s because I grew up so fucking poor I had no concept of “savings” until well into my adult years, but I can certainly say I’ve never done anything I didn’t actually want to do for financial gain and I really wonder if that’s what allows me to NOT see everything through the eyes of “Well, I sell myself out all the time for cash, so I have to imagine everyone else does”

People get excited over it.

I remember when Clapton said "I'm going to pretend I'm Jimi Hendrix" and everyone lost their minds.

I'm not a fan of anyone mimicking, but who am I to judge? After all, it's no different from any well-rounded cover band.

Right. 45 is young lol

I love how just because I disagree and point out a couple facts suddenly you're name calling now. You sure sound alot younger than me. As I said, do you research...
You need to change your username here to SteveZilch, cuz you got nothin’.

I’m quite curious what kind of mentally causes people to project “for the money” into fucking everything. I don’t know if it’s because I grew up so fucking poor I had no concept of “savings” until well into my adult years, but I can certainly say I’ve never done anything I didn’t actually want to do for financial gain and I really wonder if that’s what allows me to NOT see everything through the eyes of “Well, I sell myself out all the time for cash, so I have to imagine everyone else does”

every second of my fathers existence had to do with money, not a moment in the day would go by where he wasnt plotting his next move to save or swindle someone. his favorite thing to do was berate people at a certain red light that had a gas station on both sides where one was always $.03 cheaper than the other side, it drove him nuts to no end that people would actually spend $.03 more a gallon and he would yell at them what morons they were while sitting at the red light. if he saved $.08 on whatever store brand product he bought at the super market he would tell you about it with total joy like he won the lotto, and if you didnt do cartwheels and backflips in excitement with him he'd go into his narcissistic rage and that was it. he thought i was a complete moron and let me know about it constantly for choosing to play my own music in vfw halls for 50 people not getting paid when i could be in a cover band and make money. its a miserable way to live.

You need to change your username here to SteveZilch, cuz you got nothin’.
This sounds like a cartoon network insult, something my son would hear in a kids show 😆
Right. That never happened. The most Clapton did after seeing Hendrix was to get an Afro hairstyle.
It did happen and there's plenty of proof, but did he actually mimic him? Probably not. It was probably more of a state of mind thing. Unless you're gonna call Pete Townshend a liar, which I doubt...
https://www.musicradar.com/news/jimi-hendrix-eric-clapton-changed-guitar-forever

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240331-110735_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240331-110735_Chrome.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 14
Back