Joe Satriani: “They’re gonna see someone who’s hell-bent on being the most respectful guitar player to the legacy of Eddie”

People get excited over it.

I remember when Clapton said "I'm going to pretend I'm Jimi Hendrix" and everyone lost their minds.

I'm not a fan of anyone mimicking, but who am I to judge? After all, it's no different from any well-rounded cover band.

Right. 45 is young lol

I love how just because I disagree and point out a couple facts suddenly you're name calling now. You sure sound alot younger than me. As I said, do you research...
Do research? When you can’t even read. I never called you a name for one and facts? The argument wasn’t whether he was sloppy live it was your asanine B.S. about him being less of a household name than current YouTube and very niche guitarists, which is patently stupid, even throwing in SRV, who, as great as he was, is no Hendrix in the life after death dept. Bottom line is, you’re being a jackass, so I guess I finally called you a name there. 👍

Last edited:
Do research? When you can’t even read. I never called you a name for one and facts? The argument wasn’t whether he was sloppy live it was your asanine B.S. about him being less of a household name than current YouTube and very niche guitarists, which is patently stupid, even throwing in SRV who as great as he was, is no Hendrix in the life after death dept. Bottom line is, you’re being a jackass, so I guess I finally called you a name there. 👍
Bro, you sound like one of those grade A internet pesos. Careful with your words 😆

To be this triggered and write this kind of response just because I was right with a light hearted comment makes me a bit creeped out.

Anyway, I wasn't loosely throwing around SRV, I put his name out there because, he is in fact, a more technical player and could play high on cocaine or hammered as much as Eddie. There are plenty of videos that prove it. He's also far more known in both American households and globally. How can people be ignorant enough to deny that? I was an 80's Brat and still live in the 80's but come on, it's like the forums deny the world has moved on and things changed. Also, its insane how the trolls come out and call me young just for a different outview/perspective. I expected better but, this is the internet lmao

Bro, you sound like one of those grade A internet pesos. Careful with your words 😆

To be this triggered and write this kind of response just because I was right with a light hearted comment makes me a bit creeped out.

Anyway, I wasn't loosely throwing around SRV, I put his name out there because, he is in fact, a more technical player and could play high on cocaine or hammered as much as Eddie. There are plenty of videos that prove it.

It's insane how the trolls come out and call me young just for a different outview/perspective. I expected better but, this is the internet lmao
Now that you’re done talking to the mirror, I’m glad I could help.

every second of my fathers existence had to do with money, not a moment in the day would go by where he wasnt plotting his next move to save or swindle someone. his favorite thing to do was berate people at a certain red light that had a gas station on both sides where one was always $.03 cheaper than the other side, it drove him nuts to no end that people would actually spend $.03 more a gallon and he would yell at them what morons they were while sitting at the red light. if he saved $.08 on whatever store brand product he bought at the super market he would tell you about it with total joy like he won the lotto, and if you didnt do cartwheels and backflips in excitement with him he'd go into his narcissistic rage and that was it. he thought i was a complete moron and let me know about it constantly for choosing to play my own music in vfw halls for 50 people not getting paid when i could be in a cover band and make money. its a miserable way to live.
Is your dad Larry?

Anyway, I wasn't loosely throwing around SRV, I put his name out there because, he is in fact, a more technical player and could play high on cocaine or hammered as much as Eddie. There are plenty of videos that prove it. He's also far more known in both American households and globally. How can people be ignorant enough to deny that? I was an 80's Brat and still live in the 80's but come on, it's like the forums deny the world has moved on and things changed. Also, its insane how the trolls come out and call me young just for a different outview/perspective. I expected better but, this is the internet lmao

Wait, am I correct that you’re claiming SRV is more of a household name than EVH is?

+1

Joes aspirations were already accomplished by Al Estrada 10 years ago. When I think EVH substitute that’s the name that comes to mind. Dude can play and has the swing.

We all know that but I think the point is, Sammy loves that he can assemble a team of well known musicians he is buddies with and go out there and play. I'm not sure he is looking for a clone, he is looking for a big name playing a cover of VH.

We all know that but I think the point is, Sammy loves that he can assemble a team of well known musicians he is buddies with and go out there and play. I'm not sure he is looking for a clone, he is looking for a big name playing a cover of VH.
Id pay to see Estrada on guitar over Satriani with Sammy singing for an EVH (cover?) band.

Right. That never happened. The most Clapton did after seeing Hendrix was to get an Afro hairstyle.
Cream is cool but Clapton is overrated.... WAY overrated. I just never got it. The dude plays pentatonics in predictable fashion and nothing is really "special" about it. He's not a Brian May or Blackmore.. guys who have their own personality when they play and are instantly recognizable.

It's a waste because Sammy sucks singing DLR tunes which is where all the great VH playing is so....
Estrada should start his own band with DLR. That would be a show worth admission to see. Hell Estrada is so good they should do a live recording and release it to show some of the licks.

I claimed it because it's true. Eddie isn't as well known in the United States or Worldwide as SRV. We're not in the 80's anymore 😆

We’re not? I was only born in ‘82 so sometimes it’s hard to keep up.

Did SRV cover a shitload of VH tunes? He nails DLR’s voice. Thought I’ve been hearing VH from jukeboxes in dive bars for years, must have been SRV doing VH covers.

Estrada should start his own band with DLR. That would be a show worth admission to see. Hell Estrada is so good they should do a live recording and release it to show some of the licks.
He was already touring with DLR so it's been done.. I don't think Dave has any voice left to release new material.

The hard fact is that this is a celebration of Sammy Hagar's career and will include a lot of Sammy era Van Halen songs.
And there is the key, it's about Sammy. Sammy is always about Sammy.

And that's fine, he helped create those tunes when he was in his version of VH but there will little of the Roth era played and what there will be Mike singing. In reality this is much different than Sam taking his buddies out on the road it's just this will feature his time in VH and if people want to pay for it and have a good time, that's really all that matters.

I claimed it because it's true. Eddie isn't as well known in the United States or Worldwide as SRV. We're not in the 80's anymore 😆
Lol, look EVH isn't even in my top 10 favorite guitarists so I'm definitely not coming from the EVH fanboy camp. And as for technical virtuosity on the guitar, Ed was surpassed many years ago but some of your takes on rewriting the man's history and his staggering importance to rock guitar is way off the mark and frankly, silly.

Do the ultimate litmus test, go ask any Joe blow on the street if they know who Joe Bonamassa is or any number of the guitarists you mentioned above. And then ask them who Edward Van Halen is, let's see how that plays out. Anyone in this thread is gonna tell you how that ends. Even SRV, sure known worldwide but over Ed? Hardly. Ed like Jimi is part of our culture and not just the guitar playing community but cultural icons that transcend guitar. When you see the black, red and white stripes in everyday life, nobody is thinking SRV. And when did SRV's amp tone generate essentially a quest from the everyday player to manufacturers for the last 45 years. Not to mention his own line of popular amps, guitars and pedals. Which granted mind you, even the "youngsters" of today know what the products are and who they came from.

In the last 60 years guitar has grown to amazing heights by incredible players, even today young players are pushing the envelope but the two guys whose shadow still lingers over all of it is Jimi and EVH. You simply cannot say that about anyone since unless you are living in a guitar playing vacuum.

Last edited:
We’re not? I was only born in ‘82 so sometimes it’s hard to keep up.

Did SRV cover a shitload of VH tunes? He nails DLR’s voice. Thought I’ve been hearing VH from jukeboxes in dive bars for years, must have been SRV doing VH covers.
SRV definitely gets more plays in bars, Cafe and restaurants whether we're talking jukeboxes or the covers... it's Texas blues. I can't see Van Halen getting more plays these days. 80's rock/metal doesn't get alot of love these days.

SRV definitely gets more plays in bars, Cafe and restaurants whether we're talking jukeboxes or the covers... it's Texas blues. I can't see Van Halen getting more plays these days. 80's rock/metal doesn't get alot of love these days.
Of course it does because Texas blue is kinda mundane and background music at this point.

Lol, look EVH isn't even in my top 10 favorite guitarists so I'm definitely not coming from the EVH fanboy camp. And as for technical virtuosity on the guitar, Ed was surpassed many years ago but some of your takes on rewriting the man's history and his staggering importance to rock guitar is way off the mark and frankly, silly.

Do the ultimate litmus test, go ask any Joe blow on the street if they know who Joe Bonamassa is or any number of the guitarists you mentioned above. And then ask them who Edward Van Halen is, let's see how that plays out. Anyone in this thread is gonna tell you how that ends. Even SRV, sure known worldwide but over Ed? Hardly. Ed like Jimi is part of our culture and not just the guitar playing community but cultural icons that transcend guitar. When you see the black, red and white stripes in everyday life, nobody is thinking SRV. And when did SRV's amp tone generates essentially a quest from the everyday player to manufacturers for the last 45 years. Not to mention his own line of popular amps, guitars and pedals. Which granted mind you, even the "youngsters" of today know what the products are and who they came from.

In the last 60 years guitar has grown to amazing heights by incredible players, even today young players are pushing the envelope but the two guys whose shadow still lingers over all of it is Jimi and EVH. You simply cannot say that about anyone since unless you are living in a guitar playing vacuum.
I'd believe that if Joe Bonamassa didn't have so many signature guitars, amps, pickups sets maybe. Van Halen has only a couple hits that are relatively known to the average household and if you're going to look at it like that, then the average person doesn't even know that Eddie Van Halen was the lead guitarist 😆

You're forgetting that Joe Bonamassa gear is constantly trending via social media platforms to anyone who is interested in guitar or gear. While Van Halen and Eddie is something you'd have to search for. Again, times have changed.

Last edited:
Back