2x12 cabs: What's your choice?

Sick Squid":tw2rzqd4 said:
blackstratblues":tw2rzqd4 said:
Closed back: Suhr PT 2x12 with Creambacks.
I'll second that. Had many 2x12s over the years - Mesa vertical slant, Rivera, Bogner OS, CAE...
This cab is may favourite of all

Not that anyone has said as yet, but cabs that don't work might be good info
Got the Friedman and it is not great. Going between their 4x12 and 2x12 means the smaller cab is left gathering dust
The Suhr kills it with one chord

What about the Friedman 2x12 do you not like? ...Curious, and I always wanna hear opposing views, as it maybe something I've never listened for.

I love the Friedman. My Bogner OS and Mesa are collecting dust, and like you, I've had a few 2x12s: Bogner, Marshall, Port City, Splawn, Mesa, Forte.

Cheers!

Junk Yard Dog":1dou0in6 said:
What about the Friedman 2x12 do you not like? ...Curious, and I always wanna hear opposing views, as it maybe something I've never listened for.

I love the Friedman. My Bogner OS and Mesa are collecting dust, and like you, I've had a few 2x12s: Bogner, Marshall, Port City, Splawn, Mesa, Forte.

Cheers!
It doesn’t project with any width. I put that down to the small cab dims - it’s not very tall.
That also kills any bloom - the speakers sound restricted, strangled.
The stock V30s never worked - the Friedman 4x12 has those on the bottom, so a quick comparison was easy - so I swapped one out for a CBh75 as per the Suhr cab. No dice there.
Now got a pair of 5150s which are better as they are spongier.
All the cabs in that list sounded better.

I’ve not tried it live, but it’s too low to the ground for that anyway.

Sick Squid":32vdvf9v said:
Junk Yard Dog":32vdvf9v said:

Cheers!
It doesn’t project with any width. I put that down to the small cab dims - it’s not very tall.
The stock V30s never worked - the Friedman 4x12 has those on the bottom, so a quick comparison was easy - so I swapped one out for a CBh75 as per the Suhr cab. No dice there.

Man, I've had the complete opposite experience. My Friedman punches better than my Bogner OS when both are on the ground. For Live, I hear myself fine without IEM's and any guitar in the monitor. With the rear port, it gets more bloom than my Bogner. When i got the Friedman, i was torn on which to gig with, but the band A/B'd them with me and all said go with the Friedman. I would agree that it not being as tall can make you hear things different depending on where you're standing on stage or wherever, but to me, it was just more pleasing.

Just goes to show we hear things different! I'd love to try the Suhr cab.

Junk Yard Dog":dyq4dy4l said:
Sick Squid":dyq4dy4l said:
Junk Yard Dog":dyq4dy4l said:

Cheers!

Man, I've had the complete opposite experience. My Friedman punches better than my Bogner OS when both are on the ground. For Live, I hear myself fine without IEM's and any guitar in the monitor. With the rear port, it gets more bloom than my Bogner. When i got the Friedman, i was torn on which to gig with, but the band A/B'd them with me and all said go with the Friedman. I would agree that it not being as tall can make you hear things different depending on where you're standing on stage or wherever, but to me, it was just more pleasing.

Yep, I agree. I don't own a Friedman 2x12 yet, but I've A/B'd that cab enough to know how great it sounds. I do own a Suhr PT 2x12, and it sounds good, but there's also a weird thing with the low end -- a kind of boomy bottom that I'm always fighting with. A buddy of mine sold his for the same reason. And, I didn't love the OS Bogner 2x12 I used to own either.

I do really like my Goldfinger 2x12 for clean and crunch tones though, especially with my Tele and Strats. However, to cover the more overdriven, hard rock stuff, I'm going to be picking up a Friedman 2x12 soon, hopefully through a trade with someone who may prefer the Suhr.

I've had the Bogner 212CB and it was a great cab. I currently have had the Friedman BE-212 for the past year and completely love it! Sounds fabulous live and punches beautifully. I added some metal side handles to mine and some Mesa trac loc casters to make it even easier when carting around to play live.

Junk Yard Dog":16frvzo0 said:

littleguitars":16frvzo0 said:
Yep, I agree. I don't own a Friedman 2x12 yet, but I've A/B'd that cab enough to know how great it sounds. I do own a Suhr PT 2x12, and it sounds good, but there's also a weird thing with the low end -- a kind of boomy bottom that I'm always fighting with. A buddy of mine sold his for the same reason. And, I didn't love the OS Bogner 2x12 I used to own either.

I do really like my Goldfinger 2x12 for clean and crunch tones though, especially with my Tele and Strats. However, to cover the more overdriven, hard rock stuff, I'm going to be picking up a Friedman 2x12 soon, hopefully through a trade with someone who may prefer the Suhr.
Looks like I need to give the Friedman another shake.

Back