A battle of the Larrys

Both sound pretty darn good with great tone. Unless I'm missing something that's not translating well in the video, I'm not hearing anything that would make me want to replace what I already have. I actually like the tones I'm getting from my Hellion better than what I'm hearing in the video. And bonus, I didn't have to wait a decade to get a Hellion.

Haven't heard this video (yet), but what usually sets Larry amps apart is a very good combination of tightness, saturation that somehow also sounds open and dynamic with an aggressive grind, that doesn't become fizzy. IMO not many amps can do this all.

Addition/edit: and all this without that 'clanky' mid range that most Fortin's suffer from and with more low end too.

I can come close when I'm boosting my Engl Savage 60 mki with a heavily modded DOD 250 (si diodes replaced with clearlense 5mm LEDs for more open output, etc.), but it's a tad more dry, where a Larry still seems to retain a certain juicyness that allows rhythm and lead playing with the same settings/tone better (like some well modded Marshalls) and in my case the rhythm tone ends up great, but for leads, it's lacking some chewy quality.

Last edited:
Thought the 100 watter sounded more compressed. In a good way.
But I have amps with setting the Presence above 3 oclock that sound similar.

As Rodney Dangerfield would say,
"No Offense"

I don’t have to listen to know. I did however because I like to listen to the RTer’s play and it sounds great @RedPlated. There is something about The Larry that I cannot reproduce on any amp that I own. I do not have a Hermansson so I cannot speak to that amp-but one day. Maybe some folks can recreate the Larry boutique amp sound with infinite tweaking of this or that pedal etc… and maybe one day the secret flavor will be revealed. Who knows maybe Larry is a Sith Lord and knows the secrets of the Dark Side. I don’t care. This ampIifier needs nothing; it’s so easy to dial in and if mine died or was stolen I would cry then I would go get another. It’s the “Dumble” of high gain which can do way more than high gain- mine gets any sound from 1950s-2020s.
“Oh, Billy Baroo”

Attachments

• FBEC1BCD-FBFB-48D2-920A-AC01C247B10C.jpeg
    FBEC1BCD-FBFB-48D2-920A-AC01C247B10C.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 6
Back