Anyone want to be a part of the PUP shootout?

I would like to thank everyone involved. James, Dave and all. It was honor to be invited to this. I am always just working and it seems I always miss out something fun. Thanks Jeff B for the heads up.

How cool is James and his music? Amazing talent on the guitar and of course his vocals kill! :rock:

All the makers here deserve a round of applause! It's honor to be a part of some great winders out there. It truly showcased that some pickups sound great with one set up and fantastic in others. It showed that some pickups excel with versatility with all realms of the test. It showed that there is some guys that are not afraid to push the bar with designs. All of them sounded pretty damn good to me and it seemed like a lot of fun for the guys doing the test! :thumbsup:

Now back to work. I am behind and and having some issues with a supplier holding me up and in turn is screwing with my customers.

Thank you and you all have fun,

Will

FourT6and2":1kzoxpe1 said:
Well, after a first-round listen my top choices were (in no particular order:)

Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates
ThroBak SLE 101 Plus Ltd
Motor City 2nd Degree Black Belt
Bareknuckle Rebel Yell
WCR Iron Man
WB Hell
WB Fire
Motor City Afwayu
Zhangbucker Pagey 2
Suhr Aldrich

Out of those, my favorites were:

Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates
ThroBak SLE 101 Plus Ltd
WB Hell
Mot City Afwayu

I think the ThroBak, Black Belt, and Afwayu were my top three.

The Suhr Aldrich is just...weird sounding. I can't put my finger on it.

Wow some one rated my pup #1! :D
Maybe its my speakers but do all these sound pretty close to one another? Vintagy ones seem brighter and as they get hotter they get a little thicker and less top end. Seems like kinda subtle differences to me. I guess I need to hear them on a real stereo. Will be ordering that CD. I did notice the pearly gates seemed noticably brighter than the rest. Seemed bright as hell in my strat. Came right back out after I installed it. Sat on a shelf for 6+ years till now. All clips I heard sounded great. Really gassing for that Friedman modded marshall.
Great job to all those involved. Much Mahalo's for making this happen.

Aloha, Rob.

Edit; Just saw it diddn't make his top three. :cry:

I want to think everyone for sending pups. What an undertaking, my tech Erik is taking the rings off all the pups and getting them ready to ship back. My assistant Nicole will be in charge because I will be out of the country till the 18th. My goal is to have them all shipped out next week. You guys can contact Nicole at: nicole@jameslugo.com

Yeah a lot of great pups, people have been asking me to comment but I've tried to hold back but having actually played them all I know why people want me to comment. Most all of the pickups sounded good and would be fine. Being in the room while doing this I will tell you there was a pretty big difference in sound. The ones that best suited my playing and needs were:

WCR Godwood
Wolfetone Marshallhead
WB Fire
WB Habenero
Barknecles Rebel Yell
WCR Iron Man
WB Hell
WCR Darkburst

I love all of them, I've gone with the Godwood in my Sunburst, Marshallhead in my Black and Fire in my Goldtop so far. My engineer Dan's putting a Habenero in his Goldtop. But really considering Rebel Yell, Habenero, Iron Man and Black Belt for other Pauls, I may just have to buy more Pauls. :) The Marshallhead had a cool feel, made me crazy! To me the Godwood is perfect sounding. The ones that people in the room consistantly loved were the Godwood, Marshallhead, Habenero, Fire and BlackBelt. The workmanship and sound of all the pickups were top shelf and you could make great records with just about all of them.

p.s. and on a side note the Pearly Gates had a very cool sound, kind of a sleeper. Really liked it.

p.p.s I just decided to put the Rebel Yell in my yellow Les Paul Special. Should be spanky. :D

Been following this...great work!!!

weatched the first video...very funny :LOL: :LOL:

Question, are all the pups recorded with teh same settings on the amp or not?

Cheers!

Halford

Willbur":1r33vdm8 said:
I would like to thank everyone involved. James, Dave and all. It was honor to be invited to this. I am always just working and it seems I always miss out something fun. Thanks Jeff B for the heads up.

Now back to work. I am behind and and having some issues with a supplier holding me up and in turn is screwing with my customers.

l

freaking legendary

Been listening for the past hour and will buy that cd just as a thank you for the hard work, great great tool to reference.

That said I was surprised at some of the pups that seem to be highly regarded were some of my least favorite and for such a small company the Walker did very well, better than some for what I like.

The 2nd Degree Black Belt was SO GOOD with the Herbert :inlove: . Hope the Warcry I ordered from Motor City is as good or better after hearing that, I think it will be. If not I know what I'm going for now for sure.

The Habernero was a close second in the Herbert.

MCP stuff was awesome you should be in good shape with your pickup. The Torgue felt really good through the Herbert too. :rock:

James, you guys can't be thanked enough. That is a job I don't envy. It was just flat out a ton of work, and we all thankthehellouttaya!! GREAT JOB !!!!
:rock: :rock:

WCR":ry7jedsg said:
James, you guys can't be thanked enough. That is a job I don't envy. It was just flat out a ton of work, and we all thankthehellouttaya!! GREAT JOB !!!!
:rock: :rock:

Thanks you Jim for sending some pups. You are the man. Great builder, great dude!

Thanks man.

I just want to thank Erik Goehrisch of http://www.lushguitars.com he was the tech that did the shootout with me. I stumbled into this and realized I was in way over my head (as usual) and Erik stepped up to the plate and came on board and was brilliant. My first thought was I would do the pickup installs, in hindsight I realize that would have been a disaster. Thank you Erik for making this happen.

Thanks again for doing this! Are you going to post round 2 on Soundclick or will they just be on the CD?

James,

Just wanted to say thanks for letting me be a part of this shootout! I got to hear my pickups and a ton of other in an environment, and thru equipment, that I wouldn't normally wouldn't have access to. You and your staff did one hell of a job and I can't wait to hear what you come up with next!

I am going to order a CD to have on hand as it will be a great reference tool for the future. What I would like to know is do you have an original CD for sale with the songs performed on the shootout? If so, where can I get my hands on a copy? Those songs kicked all sorts of ass!!!

Thanks again,

Randy

Walker Pickups

Thanks Randy, great work. A lot of people comment and were happy to see you work do so well.

People have been asking about the songs used in the shootout, the songs are 'Blinded By Her Love' and 'Around The World In 30 Days'. That's me singing with my band The Hollywood Inmates. http://www.jameslugo.com/music.shtml

Back