Atomica impressions after 4 weeks or so

guitarmike

After hearing Zach's clips I bought an Atomica. It is very risky spending $2800 on amp you cannot play. So far I have used it for church 3 times and practice with both of my new bands. I have played contemporary Christian to Iron Maiden through it using a greenback cab and a 1979 Marshall with cl80's.

The only frustration I have with the amp is the effects loop. If I use pedals my flanger sounds crappy through the front of the amp or the loop. Chorus, phase, and delays are good. My Gmajor sounds ok at gig level, not so good at practice volumes. My solution is to buy a Suhr line out box that goes between the head and cabinet so I can run a wet/dry rig. I will use an old Marshall JCM600 for the wet rig.

The amp is cable finicky; to be fair almost all high gain heads are, I forgot that after running friedman modded amps for the past 2 years.

The good: The amp sounds like nothing else, you want Cameron grind, you got it. You want modded Marshall, it's there. You want classic rock, no problem. It will even clean up to the point you think it has a clean channel.

It is a single channel amp so you can't go from Fender clean to death metal by footswitch. If you have heard my old clips on my website so can get an idea of "my" sound. I have the Atomica sounding close to the clips, it does clean up with the guitar volume good enough that I don't need a clean channel.

If you are in the Milwaukee are and want to try the amp, pm me and we can work something out.

To those of you that want an amp that sounds like Zach's clips, you can't go wrong with the Atomica.

guitarmike":v93ft06f said:
After hearing Zach's clips I bought an Atomica. It is very risky spending $2800 on amp you cannot play. So far I have used it for church 3 times and practice with both of my new bands. I have played contemporary Christian to Iron Maiden through it using a greenback cab and a 1979 Marshall with cl80's.

The only frustration I have with the amp is the effects loop. If I use pedals my flanger sounds crappy through the front of the amp or the loop. Chorus, phase, and delays are good. My Gmajor sounds ok at gig level, not so good at practice volumes. My solution is to buy a Suhr line out box that goes between the head and cabinet so I can run a wet/dry rig. I will use an old Marshall JCM600 for the wet rig.

The amp is cable finicky; to be fair almost all high gain heads are, I forgot that after running friedman modded amps for the past 2 years.

The good: The amp sounds like nothing else, you want Cameron grind, you got it. You want modded Marshall, it's there. You want classic rock, no problem. It will even clean up to the point you think it has a clean channel.

It is a single channel amp so you can't go from Fender clean to death metal by footswitch. If you have heard my old clips on my website so can get an idea of "my" sound. I have the Atomica sounding close to the clips, it does clean up with the guitar volume good enough that I don't need a clean channel.

If you are in the Milwaukee are and want to try the amp, pm me and we can work something out.

To those of you that want an amp that sounds like Zach's clips, you can't go wrong with the Atomica.

Mike, I agree with your assessment and this is one great amp!!! I can get all types of sounds from this amp using the gain selector switches on the back. Blues rock to classic rock to 80s hair metal to Metallica/AIC tones to almost death metal. It also inspires me to play longer than I normally do!!! A very fun amp indeed!!! My only complaint is the loop. Nothing sounds that great through it so I run W/D now using the Suhr ISO Box and the Matrix GT1000FX!! I use the Cameron 4X12 cab loaded with G12H30s for the dry mix.

Those Metro Zero Loss Loops are generally very versatile and transparent. Maybe George has them set up a little too hot or too cold off the B+. They can easily be adjusted at the trim tab for the send level to taste if your FX are coming through too dry or wet. You should give Friedman a shout and see what he suggests.

I've got the same issues with the loop on my CCV.......tone loss. :doh: The top end is definately shaved off.

LP Freak":13erokuk said:
I've got the same issues with the loop on my CCV.......tone loss. :doh: The top end is definately shaved off.

Another one who agrees!!!! That is why I shelled out some more money to get the Matrix/Suhr ISO box. Now everything is alright!!! Sounds amazing. I wish they would of went with a series and parallal loop like the Bogner XTC IMO. Hell, I get very little loss with my Engl Savage.

Rob

metalmaniac93":3i3nljqc said:
LP Freak":3i3nljqc said:

Another one who agrees!!!! That is why I shelled out some more money to get the Matrix/Suhr ISO box. Now everything is alright!!! Sounds amazing. I wish they would of went with a series and parallal loop like the Bogner XTC IMO. Hell, I get very little loss with my Engl Savage.

Rob

I got tone suck :) Perhaps Dave can jump in and give some advice. I know Paul and myself are using the loop as Dave recommended, master volume 1/2 up and adjust volume with loop level.

Mr. Friedman, can you provide some insight?

guitarmike":3ckcj6pu said:
metalmaniac93":3ckcj6pu said:
LP Freak":3ckcj6pu said:

Rob

I got tone suck :) Perhaps Dave can jump in and give some advice. I know Paul and myself are using the loop as Dave recommended, master volume 1/2 up and adjust volume with loop level.

I was also using it the same as you and Paul. I tried three different delay units (Roland SDE 3000, Chandler Digital Echo V2, and Analog man Modded Boss DD3.

bionicmark":1g5axl0w said:
Send your amps to Jerry at FJA and have him install a tube loop.
Problem solved.

Maybe, but I do not want to send it to Jerry for this even though I heard he does great work and his mods sound incredible.

guitarmike":1aw0rfp4 said:
metalmaniac93":1aw0rfp4 said:
LP Freak":1aw0rfp4 said:

Rob

This is an issue that definately needs to be addressed.

LP Freak":vdz2p2wq said:
guitarmike":vdz2p2wq said:
metalmaniac93":vdz2p2wq said:
LP Freak":vdz2p2wq said:

Rob

This is an issue that definately needs to be addressed.

I agree!!!! My only disappointment with this amp and soon to be another when I get my CCV!!!

Considering we are not calling them directly I think is is ok to wait here for a reply. I'll give Brad a call if this isn't worked through in a day of 2. I am certain it is a setting on the loop and an easy fix.

guitarmike":34deca7g said:
Considering we are not calling them directly I think is is ok to wait here for a reply. I'll give Brad a call if this isn't worked through in a day of 2. I am certain it is a setting on the loop and an easy fix.
I hope so too!!!

Hey Guys,

Just saw this, will Have Dave Friedman and George weigh in here with their impressions and opinions on the Metro Loop and its settings.

Cheers
Brad

Problem I have with the CCV is the tone loss just from flipping on the loop. Nothing even in line. The amp seems to loose top end and volume. I haven't checked the trim pot yet. Not sure if it's the same with the Atomica or not.

Dave,

I can't use my boss flanger, the flanger overloads the loop and it sounds as bad as going in front of the amp. There is a general loss of clarity when the loop is on, its like the amp doesn't cut anymore, the sound is dull. When I use the gmajor it just doesn't sound good. I tried going back and forth between pro and consumer level, keeping it on pro was better but it still sounds out of whack with any modulation effects. Per Zach I set the inputs on the gmajor to noon, it did not help. I am hoping we can tweak it and get it usable, other wise I'll get a suhr ISO box and run wet/dry.

You know how a modulation pedal can overload the input of a high gain amp and sound like crap? That is what mine sounds like.

You modded a jcm 800 for me a couple of years ago, the loop did not have a level control. It sounded great with the pedals and g-major. Was that a different loop than these?

Same loop just it's in a different circuit. I know about the ccv issue. The next run of them will have that fixed. As far as the atomica I will check are demo one and see what's up tomorrow.

Back