Atomica impressions after 4 weeks or so

RACKSYSTEMS":10vww2li said:
Same loop just it's in a different circuit. I know about the ccv issue. The next run of them will have that fixed. As far as the atomica I will check are demo one and see what's up tomorrow.
So what can be done to fix the first run CCV?

LP Freak":p1yua0mh said:
RACKSYSTEMS":p1yua0mh said:
Same loop just it's in a different circuit. I know about the ccv issue. The next run of them will have that fixed. As far as the atomica I will check are demo one and see what's up tomorrow.
So what can be done to fix the first run CCV?

And the Atomica's!!!! Well at least Mike's and mine.

Ok first of all the Atomicas loop has no change in sound at all. Here is how it should be set up for pedal level. If you use it on max clipping the front master should be set at about 2 o'clock , set at mid clipping at 11 o'clock and no clipping at 9 o'clock or a touch more. Then you use your back return level as your master. Now I just tried it with a sde 3000 with it set to -20 signal level w/ the level on that set to a bit over half and it works perfect. Also I have a boss bf-2 works and sounds right. Also tried a old echo machine pedal and that works great. We are doing a video today showing all this so hang on. Now I am not talking about the ccv right now that I have to address when I have one again.

RACKSYSTEMS":1yn2cjk3 said:
Ok first of all the Atomicas loop has no change in sound at all. Here is how it should be set up for pedal level. If you use it on max clipping the front master should be set at about 2 o'clock , set at mid clipping at 11 o'clock and no clipping at 9 o'clock or a touch more. Then you use your back return level as your master. Now I just tried it with a sde 3000 with it set to -20 signal level w/ the level on that set to a bit over half and it works perfect. Also I have a boss bf-2 works and sounds right. Also tried a old echo machine pedal and that works great. We are doing a video today showing all this so hang on. Now I am not talking about the ccv right now that I have to address when I have one again.

OK, thanks!! I will check it out.

Dave.....I am trying to remember, but something that needs to be looked at on the CCV loop is the decoupling resistor. With B+ being so high on the CCV, a 100K 1 watt resistor won't get the voltage down to the safe operating range of the loop board. The Metro loop operates in a happy mode around 375V. I have seen the production CCV 3 different ways: 1) the loop wasn't even connected to B+, 2) the loop was connected by a decoupling resistor to the screen of a power tube and, 3) connected post PI. With the amp running 560-570V and somewhere between .1-.15mA, a couple things can happen. You are sending too much voltage to the loop board which could fry or you fry the decoupling resistor. Either way, I think what Paul is describing is the loop circuit being clipped like hell, and for those reasons. Also, the loop voltages probably were not verified because I know of two CCV's out there where the trim pot on the loop was all the way down and no signal passing at all. If for instance you the circuit is running at 0.1mA (I think it is a little more), the supplied 100K decoupling resistor will not work (for long). The best results I got was using a 2W 120K decoupling resistor from the screen of the first tube and adjusting the loop pot to about 75%. The other thing that is a PITA on the production CCV is that to cram everything in the chassis, the loop board is upside down where the traces are exposed. To adjust the trim, you will have to remove the jacks from the chassis to flip the board and expose the trim pot. You may have to desolder the lead to the return level pot to do this, but it is easy enough. Makes it hard to adjust the pot with the amp live though. I think these loops were made with normal B+ voltages of Dagnal transformers and the Marshall/Metro amps, not the CCV. It can operate at a maximum of 425V or so, but that is pushing it to clip the signal, which is what I think is happening.

Now, all this above is just my opinion from trial and error. I may be totally off base and suggest any of you check with Dave. I have been known to be extremely full of shit. Also, George may want to chime in since it is his loop. I know these loops were last minute changes to the first run CCV's and he may not have had a chance to design the B+ supply to the loops. At any rate, it can be fixed. But, I think the signal is just too hot to the loop and this causes the signal clip and tone loss.

My 2 cents. This and $4 will get you a cuppa Starbuks.

RACKSYSTEMS":2zrbzcfa said:

I did not get a chance to try my flanger but i did try the G-major. It does work a lot better with the settings above. So far I am quite pleased as the G-major is very useful live (and less to carry than my 80 pound pedal board and case).

I will say this to anyone contemplating buying an Atomica; it is very versatile, you can get many tones out of it. It does however, require changing more than one setting to dial in the next tone. The effects loop is an example. If you need multiple channels, do not buy this amp. If you can set it and forget it or learn to adjust during a gig, this amp sounds like no other (at any volume level too), it is THAT good. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Thank you Dave for helping and for the phone call, as always it is nice to chat with you.

Put this together really quickly this afternoon with Dave. Sorry about the audio quality, we shot it with an iPhone 4s.
Hope this helps you guys out :)

Mark

Steve you could be right about the ccv . I had nothing to do with it mostly it was mark. Now if someone would like to send me there's I would be happy to mess with it and correct the problem. Also the ccv loop board was the stock one. We have since made a change to the loop board to function better in these amps. As you can see in the video posted it works perfect now. This is how the atomica ships.

Mark Day":mlziqyvd said:
Put this together really quickly this afternoon with Dave. Sorry about the audio quality, we shot it with an iPhone 4s.

Mark

Great vid Mark! I have never had a problem with my Atomica's effects loop btw.

RACKSYSTEMS":1zx12j0y said:
Now if someone would like to send me there's I would be happy to mess with it and correct the problem. Also the ccv loop board was the stock one. We have since made a change to the loop board to function better in these amps. As you can see in the video posted it works perfect now. This is how the atomica ships.
You just had mine. By any chance, did you look into this when it was there?

guitarmike":180pjkwa said:
RACKSYSTEMS":180pjkwa said:

I did not get a chance to try my flanger but i did try the G-major. It does work a lot better with the settings above. So far I am quite pleased as the G-major is very useful live (and less to carry than my 80 pound pedal board and case).

I will say this to anyone contemplating buying an Atomica; it is very versatile, you can get many tones out of it. It does however, require changing more than one setting to dial in the next tone. The effects loop is an example. If you need multiple channels, do not buy this amp. If you can set it and forget it or learn to adjust during a gig, this amp sounds like no other (at any volume level too), it is THAT good. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Thank you Dave for helping and for the phone call, as always it is nice to chat with you.

Dave, I also thank you!!! Everything is fine now, but I love the W/D set-up so I will most likely play with the Atomica and the future CCV this way and not even bother with the loop. As Mike stated, you can get many tones out of the Atomica for sure and they all sound awesome, but it does require tweaking especially if you are going to use it live. Still one of the best Marshall type amps I have ever played though along with the Friedman amps!!! And Mike is correct!! IT IS THAT GOOD!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Mark Day":3u43rnbq said:

Mark

Damn that video was just put up less than a day ago, and 268 views. Either there are alot more Cameron owners than I assumed or there is even more interest in Cameron's than I thought.

sjk":aj6slhss said:
Mark Day":aj6slhss said:

Mark

Damn that video was just put up less than a day ago, and 268 views. Either there are alot more Cameron owners than I assumed or there is even more interest in Cameron's than I thought.

Mark has a pretty big following on YT, they watch anything he puts up. :D

King Guitar":1v2agft0 said:
sjk":1v2agft0 said:
Mark Day":1v2agft0 said:

Mark

Brad, that lends itself to all kinds of unpleasant thoughts what he might do next :LOL: :LOL:

Wow! Thanks for the video Mark.... that is REALLY helpful for those of us who are less experienced with matching our amps with effects units.

Tried those settings out with a Boss chorus in the loop of the Atomica and it works great.

Folks... this is customer support at its absolute finest!

Mark Day":1hhoft87 said:

Mark

King Guitar":2vqt3cdo said:
sjk":2vqt3cdo said:
Mark Day":2vqt3cdo said:

Mark

yeah but there is this one asshole who bust his chops for absolutely nothing..total dick...

I got to try the Boss flanger in the loop Thursday at church practice. Yes, I am using a flanger and Cameron Atomica at church! Setting the amp per Dave's suggestions and the flanger sounds fine. Thanks Dave!

Back