Atomica speakers

paulyc

Sorry if this has been covered before, but is there a general consensus about the "best" speakers for use in a 4x12 cab with the Atomica ? Guitars will be super Strats and Les Pauls. Thanks !

FWIW, while I had my Atomica I ran it using the Cameron 4X12 Cab with the G12H30 70th Annys.

I do not have any experience with Boogie speakers. I will say the Atomica sounded good through all my cabs and speakers: WGS, Scumbacks & Celestions.

paulyc":2ejee9cz said:
The MC90s are Celestions...a 90 watt version of the CL80 I believe...
Ahh, did not know that. I've tried it through WGS Veteran 30/HM75 combination (4x12 & 2x12). Celestion G12H30 70th Annys. Too many different Scumbacks to mention. I think the amp works very well through all kinds of different speakers.

I guess the vented magnet increases the wattage by 10 ? Thats the only difference I see with the naked eye.

Did you use any kind of boost with the Atomica ? I love the rhythm sound with the gain set at noon or a smidge higher, but I could use a bit more compression and dirt/gain for leads...I'd like to try a Suhr Koko boost, but really don't want to spend 250 bucks mailorder to have it not work out with the amp...any ideas ?

I rarely boost any of my amps and use vintage hot type pickup. So, I'm probably not the guy to ask.

paulyc":3gl1zho2 said:
I guess the vented magnet increases the wattage by 10 ? Thats the only difference I see with the naked eye.

Did you use any kind of boost with the Atomica ? I love the rhythm sound with the gain set at noon or a smidge higher, but I could use a bit more compression and dirt/gain for leads...I'd like to try a Suhr Koko boost, but really don't want to spend 250 bucks mailorder to have it not work out with the amp...any ideas ?

The Koko Boost works great with the Atomica!! Rokker sold me on it so I bought one and it is well worth it IMO!! The Koko Boost will give you just a little smudge of compression!! That is what is great about it; it does not over color your amp.

I know he has a Cameron 4x12 with the Celestions. He's got a Bogner 2x12 too, not sure what's loaded in that ATM, he's been speaker hunting. I'm answering because it's sleepy time for him across the pond. :D I'm sure he'll be back to fill us in.

I own a Cameron atomica for a number of months. In my opinion this amp sounds best with a greenback type speaker. I did not like G12-T75's, and I was not real fond of the G12H – 30 speakers. I would think that a vintage 30 speaker would sound pretty harsh with the atomica. :rock: :rock:

Why would you say that about V30s ? I'm just curious...not saying you're wrong or anything, just want to know why ?

Lower gain amps just do not sound good with V-30's unless the amp is cranking pretty loud. They just did not sound good to me with the amp. For others maybe, just not me. :yes:

I had a Marshall JMP 100 watt with a Boss SD-1 back in high school (86-87ish) and a 2x12 V30 cab and it killed...sounded really good. This would have been UK Celestions of course...

paulyc":30smeqlw said:
Thanks guys.

Maniac- what speakers are you running with your Atomica ?

My Cameron 4X12 is the one I use the most and it is loaded with a pair of G12H30 70th Annys and a pair of CL80s (British Made) in an X pattern. My Bogner OS 212 has a Scumback J75 and a H55 and I have a Marshall 4X12 BHW with the stock Celestion G12 Heritage 55hz. I might change out two of the speakers for J75s or load all J75s in them. I have to wait until I get back from Europe in May though.

The V30s sounded like crap to me and that was with the Bogner OS 212. I did play the Atomica at Tone Merchants through some Friedman cabs loaded with the RI Greenbacks on top and V30s on bottom. Sounded great!!!

metalmaniac93":3kwkc2e0 said:
paulyc":3kwkc2e0 said:
Thanks guys.

My Cameron 4X12 is the one I use the most and it is loaded with a pair of G12H30 70th Annys and a pair of CL80s (British Made) in an X pattern. My Bogner OS 212 has a Scumback J75 and a H55 and I have a Marshall 4X12 BHW with the stock Celestion G12 Heritage 55hz. I might change out two of the speakers for J75s or load all J75s in them. I have to wait until I get back from Europe in May though.

The V30s sounded like crap to me and that was with the Bogner OS 212. I did play the Atomica at Tone Merchants through some Friedman cabs loaded with the RI Greenbacks on top and V30s on bottom. Sounded great!!!

Oops. I didn't know you swapped speakers in the Cameron. How's it working for you?

I just loaded 2 Scumback M75 / 65's in my Cameron 4x12 cabinet. The other 2 speakers are the G12H30 70th Annys. Played live last sat night and swapped the mic between the G12H30's and the Scumbacks. The M75's sounded much smoother on the top end....and I really dig them. I am going to buy a pair of the Scumback J75 / 65's to load into the Cameron cab along with the M75's in an X pattern.

The G12H30 70th Anny's sound too harsh on the top end for my liking with the Atomica.

I also have Marshall 4X12 BHW with the stock Celestion G12 Heritage 55hz...which also sounds good with the Atomica.

drewiv":1d9zvzmv said:
metalmaniac93":1d9zvzmv said:
paulyc":1d9zvzmv said:
Thanks guys.

Oops. I didn't know you swapped speakers in the Cameron. How's it working for you?

They sound pretty good. Darkens up the sound a little bit with this combo. This combo has been recommended by a couple of longtime RTs for the CCV or a Jose style amp.

Back