Bands that got better with age

Testament. Yes. Peterson is the thrash metal riff master.

Priest's latest is quite awesome too.

That's about it..
Testament came to my mind at first but then after thinking about it for a bit I honestly can't say any of their newer songs stand out as much as things like Practice What You Preach, Souls of Black etc .. yes the production is top notch and they are way heavier but I don't now nothing really stands out for me

Opeth? Disagree
I understand many feel that way, but I can listen to heritage on straight through and have a great time. The earlier stuff, I love a lot of the music but just can't jive with the vocals. I like to sing like cookie monster sometimes too, my 2 yr old loves it... Probably a common thread of most bands I put on my list, they all always had great music, but I lose interest when I'm just getting screamed at, just like with my wife...

I loved Pete in Baroness. Have been to three Baroness shows with Gina, and love her live energy. Pete had it too, but Gina rocks as well.

Side note, Blue is a great album!
Pete was great, both playing and his vocal contributions. But Gina brings another element of greatness, she's a great player adds a little different vocal flavor and I think they write better songs with her. Maybe they haven't improved per se, just changed a bit and still as awesome as ever.

Man I don’t know, Chevelle’s first few maninstream albums are head and shoulders above the last 3-4 imo
NIRATIUS is amazing IMO. The songwriting is great and the production is amazing IMO, but I would agree with you about the North Corridor and the one before it.

It’s my favorite. So raw and grindy . To me it was the most natural. Like them live

Richard Christy's drumming doesn't fit quite right in there IMHO. It always sounds like he's rushing it. It's over-complicated without fitting right, unlike Hoglan or Reinert. It doesn't groove. That makes the album sub-par already.

Richard Christy's drumming doesn't fit quite right in there IMHO. It always sounds like he's rushing it. It's over-complicated without fitting right, unlike Hoglan or Reinert. It doesn't groove. That makes the album sub-par already.
I get how you feel because t I just think it’s the best songs only . You’re right Msybe but for me it’s songs. Chuck just had a string sense of feelings coming through the speakers . The album hits me emotionally more

Totally agree, Death peaked at Human. Every album after that got more technical, but not necessarily better.
I kinda disagree. Human is my favorite, but Symbolic and Sounds of Perseverance both kicked major ass. Definitely not inferior in any way than Human, just different, (still in a good way).

Opeth did get better with age if you start with Morning Rise.. Blackwater Park, Deliverance, to Ghost Reveries, to Watershed. But, of course they went a different route after...

Absolutely would put Judas Priest on the list, up to Painkiller..

I kinda disagree. Human is my favorite, but Symbolic and Sounds of Perseverance both kicked major ass. Definitely not inferior in any way than Human, just different, (still in a good way).

Opeth did get better with age if you start with Morning Rise.. Blackwater Park, Deliverance, to Ghost Reveries, to Watershed. But, of course they went a different route after...

Absolutely would put Judas Priest on the list, up to Painkiller..
I dig the albums after Human as well. IMO Human was the perfect blend of technicality and brutality.

Man, The first Mr Bungle album is THE ONLY Mr Bungle album worth listening to. Disco Volante is just whack...
I like California the most. Disco Volante is definitely not for everyone. I used to take acid as a kid and listen to it a lot. I probably rate the first one as the lowest.

I like California the most. Disco Volante is definitely not for everyone. I used to take acid as a kid and listen to it a lot. I probably rate the first one as the lowest.
Agreed on California, but I feel Disco Volante is their worst. I like a couple songs, especially Ma Meeshka Mow Kwoz, it’s just a harder listen sober, as an album. I listened to their discography a couple weeks ago doing work trips from my house to Charlottesville.

Last edited:
Back