Bogner Uber Ultra EL34 vs 6L6 - Who played both?

Thats the clip I heard that immediately made me say I need that amp. Ironically saw one pop up used on the same day. Was destined to have it.

Maybe still in the honeymoon but I absolutely love the amp and still think it's the best I've had. I wouldn't say it's perfect by any means, there's a few things I would suggest for a mk3 but it's still badass for me.
Ironically, that clip is the first 6L6 model I had. The amp you own now is the 2nd one I had, haha. I've had the 6L model twice, and the KT88 version once.

Yeah I'm aware of that, just thought it would benefit everybody if there was 1 model that accepted all tube types is all.
I think a well done built in noise gate is absolutely necessary for the amp.

The other things I would suggest to Bogner is just a little more control. Don't get me wrong there is a very wide range, especially compared to the other Ubers but I would love a sag sweep knob. For example, it gets so close and almost the same as a Rev 2 but in my opinion (maybe it's my current gear) the Rev 2 has a bit more sag on the open notes. But I would also like to have this amp get a little tighter ala Engl esque for super fast riffing. I'm still messing with it, have some boosts on the way and maybe it's me but I feel that fast is where this amp lacks.

Ironically, that clip is the first 6L6 model I had. The amp you own now is the 2nd one I had, haha. I've had the 6L model twice, and the KT88 version once.
Probably splitting hairs but do you recall any major differences between the two 6L6 amps you had?

Honestly if you don’t dig that model a different tube model probably won’t change your opinion. Tubes change sound a tiny amount… but if it’s not your thing, it’s not your thing.
I don't know...Different Tubes AND different Transformers could do the trick in this case...

If you mean the honky mids, the 6L6 I played, to my ears didn’t really have the issue. In fact, that’s why I opted against it, it was a bit too scooped for me

KT77 ended up being a wonderful compromise
Definitely agree with that statement. I like dark amps, low mid frequencies and this one delivers. Can crank the mids and even treble and get a very usable tone.

For me the prescence dial is what needs precision.

Yeah I'm aware of that, just thought it would benefit everybody if there was 1 model that accepted all tube types is all.
In the second section of this video, Steve Fryette does an amazing job articulating why having some sort of cross-compatibility of tube types, while functional, is far from optimal.

His words on power amps specifically are quite interesting.

For example, while Diezel Herbert accepts KT88, Peter advises against because suboptimal plate voltage for KT88

Kinda the same reason why Bogner would even have 2 separate amps that accept KT88, when the only real difference in them is the PV supplied to the power tubes.

Of course in these 2 cherry picked examples, I’m just giving plate voltage as an example, but Steven does a better job than me at clarifying, if you’re curious

Last edited:
.....running 2 Gold Lion KT88's and 2 Wing C EL34's

Killer tone. But I find that the amp as a whole is speaker dependent.
I have 7 4x12's so it's pretty easy for me to figure out it likes V30/Greenback combo.
Possible to dial in each cab to pleasing tone. But I find what I LIKE and run with it

I have Scumbacks
Blackbacks
Heritage Greenbacks
V30's

Creambacks.

blaw blaw blaw.

These are loaded in different 4x12's

I'm sure you can dial out that cock'd wah wah tones.
It doesnt bother me.

But then again, what da heck do I know.

I have a shit load of used but still like new JJ KT77's from my past Diezel collection.

Might have to try those out.

Man this amp is "bias touchy. One tiny little movement sends it + or - 10 mA real fast

But I would also like to have this amp get a little tighter ala Engl esque for super fast riffing. I'm still messing with it, have some boosts on the way and maybe it's me but I feel that fast is where this amp lacks.
I don’t think you’re messing enough with Ch. 2. If you set the metamorph to tight and adjust to your liking, it will stupid tight and smoke up any amp ESPECIALLY an ENGL for lightning fast riffing. To go further, flip to focus mode and you’ll be as tight and dry like all those 8/9 string djent YouTubers

Last edited:
Yeah one thing specific for this amp is it was designed around 16 ohm V30s and t75s. Bright and scooped speakers. But the amps options are pretty endless, has so many sounds available.

Any amp with as much gain and upper harmonic content as the Uber Ultra is going to be very speaker-dependent. Speakers are the most influential factor when it comes to shaping the highs of any amp.

The more gain and treble content you use, the more your speakers will matter.

Back