Boost-Talk

OldGtrGuy

A topic beaten to death but I've been out of the loop.

I just got the Uber Ultra. One of the few amps that doesn't necessarily need a boost for me but I still want one.

Currently I only have a DS1, its cool. Has it's place but maybe not the best for THIS amp. I made a couple of videos boosted with the KOT and I really, really like that pedal with the Ultra but I just sold it due to insane prices so I'm in the market for something.

A little random info of my type of boost:

Maxon 808. To me this is the industry standard, the 5150 of overdrive pedals. Liked it a lot because It gives you just a little, just enough and not a complete tone changer.

A few of my most favorite boosts I've ever had: King of Tone, Duality DX, Buxom Boost, KoKo boost V1 and VFE Standout. Definitely ok with buying one of these again apart from the KOT.

The one pedal that is on my GAS list is the dirty tree. While I really disliked the 33, probably my least favorite pedal I've ever had, Im aware the DT has more options plus I've heard so many people swear by it.

Not sure what is new, what is good or what else I should be looking at.

I typically like an overdrive vs. a clean boost, I like subtle but I am definitely ok with more than subtle as long as it can still do subtle as well.

Any suggestions?

I like an SD-1. I like a Tube Screamer and its variants. I've had a VFE Standout and Dragon, Buxom boost, Duality DX and a few others I can't remember. My favorite is my PLX Bion boost. Has lots of tonal range with the three knobs. It's a treble booster based on the Rangemaster. I actually have two of them on my board. If you try one just don't put a buffered pedal before it. It seems to not like that.

Check out an Xotic RC Booster or BB Preamp. They can both be dialed in cleaner than the 808, or can be dialed into overdrive territory, plus they have a 2-band +-15db EQ like the TC Integrated Preamp. RC sounds slightly more transparent than the BB and has a bit less clean boost on tap (20db vs 30db). I don't know how much the TC/Pepers have, but it seemed like more than 30db.

I like them more than the TC Integrated Preamp and Dirty Tree. The BB is even good as a bass distortion.

Really depends on what you're trying to accomplish, personally, and very amp dependent.

In this case, I would try the full-sized Spark Boost, Tumnus, or other more Klon-based pedals. Or, possibly an EQ, like a GE-7.

1712144345761.jpeg

I would maybe look into a Klon type pedal. For boosting a dirty amp, I think it's on the same playing field as a tube screamer in that it tightens up the lows and has mid hump kind of thing going on. If you're using it more for an overdrive with a clean amp, it becomes a different thing entirely as you bring the gain up, but with the same basic EQ thing happening.

Not surprised, that amp is just too damn tight in the front end, I'll be surprised if you make anything work with it. The dirty tree smokes the 33 but yes, it would be a mess with the ultra from what I can tell. even the on the loosest setting on that thing I feel the dirty tree would still suck with it. BB preamp could be cool though, I love mine and use it sometimes.

I wouldn't even boost the thing ..... but if you're looking for that " EQ " kind of thing with boosting it .... the buxom boost would probably what I'd try .... it gives you the option to take the EQ in or out .... and it's a pretty clean boost .... and you don't need gain IMO

I wouldn't even boost the thing ..... but if you're looking for that " EQ " kind of thing with boosting it .... the buxom boost would probably what I'd try .... it gives you the option to take the EQ in or out .... and it's a pretty clean boost .... and you don't need gain IMO
I do have some eq unit coming I should just wait for that I guess

IMO, adding an extra distortion-generating gain stage in a pedal that also cuts lows to the Uber Ultra would be like bringing sand to the beach. Instead, I'd just go for something that can give you a flat level boost if you want, along with some ability to sculpt your guitar if you want as well. First thing I'd recommend is a Boss GE-7. Maybe go with a parametric EQ pedal if you want to get fancier, but you honestly can't go wrong with the Boss.

Been using the Thorpy Team Medic for eq/clean boost but I’ve heard really good things about the BB—you building a version?

I have .... and can still
Xotic made a BB with adjustable Mid if you remember. Build one of those with an adjustable mid frequency and I’m 100% in!!

I find the onboard boost to be sufficient enough but if you’re set on getting a pedal, check out This Heavy Earth Grim. Pairs great with the Ultra and is very flexible.

Back