Boost-Talk

IMO, adding an extra distortion-generating gain stage in a pedal that also cuts lows to the Uber Ultra would be like bringing sand to the beach. Instead, I'd just go for something that can give you a flat level boost if you want, along with some ability to sculpt your guitar if you want as well. First thing I'd recommend is a Boss GE-7. Maybe go with a parametric EQ pedal if you want to get fancier, but you honestly can't go wrong with the Boss.
Agreed. My preferred pedal for this application is my vintage Ibanez PQ401. I'd consider also for GEQ's maybe also some of the Ibanez ones like the BE10 or also Boss GE-10

I wouldn't even boost the thing ..... but if you're looking for that " EQ " kind of thing with boosting it .... the buxom boost would probably what I'd try .... it gives you the option to take the EQ in or out .... and it's a pretty clean boost .... and you don't need gain IMO
Yep- my suggestion as well. The tight control is super useful in dialing out flub in the low end, and the B/M/T EQ is really responsive.

Lichtlaerm audio has some really interesting pedals, for all different kinds of applications. I haven't owned one but I will before long.

808x- level at 12:30-!:00, and tone at noon or below. doesnt add honk like a regular ts type and seems to work on more filtered amps imo.

The boost / overdrive thing goes on forever.
Yeah, I was just looking to see what's new. I've tried a lot of the older popular pedals.

With my green uber I liked the Koko boost. I may end up with another one of those but I think I will probably wait for my EQ thing to show up first unless I can find good deals on something great before hand.

If it helps, Here are some of my long time mainstays and a couple of newer additions (the Lichtlaerm pedals) that I feel are mainstays. I love all these.
Lichtlaerm Spyglass (EQ)
Lichtlaerm King in Yellow (TS type) with Chiron (Klon) in its loop balanced at 50/50
Lichtlaerm Aquarius (klon type)
Airis Savage Drive (8 years never bumped off the board)
Lovepedal Eternity (15 years never bumped off the board)
Airis Agressive Screamer - a TS with a Tight knob
Mythos Mjolnir -Klon (maybe 5 years never bumped)

Then a 5band Mesa EQ post

I have these on a switcher so I can choose flavors. So it’s a simple EQ-OD-Amp-EQ

I've been rocking these since about 2008

1712430047740.png

If I set the Ultra to its more "loose" settings using doom, set to fat and with the metamorph control....I could get some usable stuff happening using my Wizard Leopard.

But honestly, it is an amp that really responds better without boosting. On the tighter/aggressive settings, which I normally use, I don't gain anything by boosting.

VFE Standout is probably my favorite.

Fulltone Fulldrive in comp cut mode I really like. Diodes are removed. So basically it is a boost.
I almost got the one that was for sale here last week. I had the Henning version, I'm not sure how different it sounds but that was definitely a really good pedal

I almost got the one that was for sale here last week. I had the Henning version, I'm not sure how different it sounds but that was definitely a really good pedal
Henning I believe was the same but the HPF was not adjustable.

The most recent version of the VFE has a tilt mode. I want to try it.

Are they still making pedals? I thought vfe went out of business a while back.
He lives near me. Extreme friendly. He is really a teacher that does pedals on the side. He has been on and off for years. He is currently building pedals. The stuff is always evolving.

I definitely want a Tilt / Standout Version 3.

https://www.vfepedals.com/product-page/custom-vfe-pedal

The other pedal I am looking at is the Ibanez PTEQ. Center of the band's is close to the Mesa GEQ.

https://www.ibanez.com/eu/products/detail/pteq.html

Last edited:
Back