Cameron CCV Live!

roodyrocker

Just wondering if anyone else has used their CCV for live gigs? I just took mine out this past Friday night 12-21-12 and had some fun with it :) I ran it in low power mode and the gain channel was barely at 8 O'clock. The soundman is a friend of mine and liked the tone but he says that amp really projects off stage and it was loud! He was wanting to either turn the 4x12 cab around to face the wall, or we also considered running my Faustine Phantom attenuator on it. In the end we did neither of those things but I will be picking a plexiglass shield next I think. The Cameron 4x12 cab is loaded with Celestion Heritage 30's btw.

IMG-20121221-00141.jpg

DSC_7179.jpg

DSC_7200.jpg

DSC_7184.jpg

DSC_7208.jpg

DSC_7209.jpg

DSC_7207.jpg

Rudy

Hey, that's a good lookin' CCV. She looks familiar, somehow... :confused:

:LOL: :LOL:

Awesome Rudy! Great lookin' rig, and killer Les Paul!

:rawk:

Wish I had that Cam Cab!
I side wash all the time, helps the Soundman run sound out front.
Used mine all last weekend killer tone!

Had my old one out last year a few times. One thing the CCV will do well is project and sit in the the mix, no matter how you set it up.

I had the same complaints about mine. It gets old hearing that shit after a while though. They cut like no other amp.

Thanks guys. And yes, that LPC is a factory triple pickup, Kahler model. An 83 to be exact :) Yes Rob that Cameron CCV should look familiar. Some guy packed it REALLY well and shipped it to me this past summer :D
Plexiglass shield is still on my to get list. It will come in handy for the CCV as well as some of my other amps that are loud like the Marshall Randy Rhoads 1/2 stack.

Rudy

Try not to point your amp at the Soundman or the lead singer. That's a rule I try to follow. I didn't like those Plexi shields myself. Really booooomy. :)

Ampaddict":2w6dd0k1 said:
Try not to point your amp at the Soundman or the lead singer. That's a rule I try to follow. I didn't like those Plexi shields myself. Really booooomy. :)

My amp was on the opposite side of the stage from the sound man. He's a friend of mine and on days my band is not playing he and I run sound/lights for other bands using our PA system. He's pretty knowledgeable about this stuff. The amp wasn't pointed at the singer either. She had no complaints about it. We just noticed it was really loud right off the front of the stage. You may be right, the plexiglass might be boomy but I figured I'd give it a try.

Rudy

You replaced the original Celestion G12H30 70thAnniv with a quad of Heritage G12H30's then? 55 or 75c/s?

50MkII":1nor7g1j said:
You replaced the original Celestion G12H30 70thAnniv with a quad of Heritage G12H30's then? 55 or 75c/s?

No, I bought the cab used but empty. I loaded it with G12H30 70th Anniversary speakers once I got it. Sorry for any confusion.

Rudy

You can get the volume down considerably on channel 2 and still have plenty of crunch with the gain style switch over the master in the right setting. :confused: I assume this was the first time you played it live? Just experiment a little more. Not sure why others had a live volume issue either. Those clipping options drop the volume in a big way. No way do the CCV mids cut more than a Marshall. My thoughts on the CCV I owned was a Marshall meets Bogner mids. The low end of the amp was nice but non existent in a mix with a drummer and bass player. I take your post in a negative way toward the amp. I am sure you didn't mean it that way but thats how it comes across to me. Its a cool amp and should work perfect in a live mix if you set it up to your room, audience and band mates.

If the pics you have posted are indicative of your settings, it looks like the master on ch. 2 is set for 9'clock.

glip22":2iqcq7a8 said:
You can get the volume down considerably on channel 2 and still have plenty of crunch with the gain style switch over the master in the right setting. :confused: I assume this was the first time you played it live? Just experiment a little more. Not sure why others had a live volume issue either. Those clipping options drop the volume in a big way. No way do the CCV mids cut more than a Marshall. My thoughts on the CCV I owned was a Marshall meets Bogner mids. The low end of the amp was nice but non existent in a mix with a drummer and bass player. I take your post in a negative way toward the amp. I am sure you didn't mean it that way but thats how it comes across to me. Its a cool amp and should work perfect in a live mix if you set it up to your room, audience and band mates.
Gary, I don't think he was being negitive at all. It's different using the CCV in a live setting vs your basement. It does cut better than any Marshall, trust me. You'd think the way it's voiced that it wouldn't cut but it does. And the volume issue isn't actual db, it's frequency. The volumes on the front of the amp mean nothing if you're using the loop level as an overall MV.

LP Freak":20dsftpp said:
glip22":20dsftpp said:
Gary, I don't think he was being negitive at all. It's different using the CCV in a live setting vs your basement. It does cut better than any Marshall, trust me. You'd think the way it's voiced that it wouldn't cut but it does. And the volume issue isn't actual db, it's frequency. The volumes on the front of the amp mean nothing if you're using the loop level as an overall MV.
Got you. I considered the frequencies which do mean more than volume. I would have thought with the clipping compressing the signal and cutting the top end it would be fine live.

glip22":1n1qjw0r said:
LP Freak":1n1qjw0r said:
glip22":1n1qjw0r said:
Got you. I considered the frequencies which do mean more than volume. I would have thought with the clipping compressing the signal and cutting the top end it would be fine live.

I have played the CCV live a dozen times so far and it does cut through unbelievably well. If I turn the punch up too much I can drown out the other guitar player and the bass player to the point the sound guy cannot compensate. The CCV just takes a little time to learn how to set it up for live use.

I picked up a pair of Weber Beam Blockers for my 4x12 and they really do help cut down on in your face projection. They do affect tone a bit, there was a slight loss of crunch and they add a bit of throatiness. But by the same token, they really do deal well beamy projection and unidirectional issues. I didn't want to completely change my tone because I liked it so just went with Beam Blockers on the top two speakers and left the bottom two alone. Took a little getting used to but it's a fair compromise that everyone can live with.

I appreciate all the suggestions. Myself and the soundman loved the amp. Its just that volume was a bit of an issue. I have since taken the amp back to the practice area/shop where he and I work on things. I'm going to work on it a bit more there with him to see what we can come up with. i played the amp at home before but this wasits first public outing and also it was in a two guitar band setup.

Rudy

Rudy , Great looking rig ! I was looking at your pictures and noticed what looked like my old purple and black bengal tiger soloist. Could this be true and do you want to sell ?I had it on ebay about 12 years ago . Very smooth axe. Please call me either way . Thanks, Bill 336-382-1521

Back