CCV vs Atomica

braintheory

So how do the two compare? I've only played the Atomica and it was an awesome amp, but a bit dark and not aggressive enough for my tastes. I AB'ed it with a late 70's Marshall that for my tastes sounded better. Is the CCV more aggressive and brighter? Do they sound that different from each other or are they pretty similar? Also, how does the Old BItch Compare?

braintheory":2yk6ggxx said:
So how do the two compare? I've only played the Atomica and it was an awesome amp, but a bit dark and not aggressive enough for my tastes. I AB'ed it with a late 70's Marshall that for my tastes sounded better. Is the CCV more aggressive and brighter? Do they sound that different from each other or are they pretty similar? Also, how does the Old BItch Compare?
Wow, that goes against what I have noticed in the clips. One thing I liked about that hg Jose Marshall mods mark did was that they weren't overly dark like many of today's boutique amps although they has the ability to dial in more bass if desired. They also still retained a lot of the Marshall goodness in voicing. I really dislike the blanket of low mids that darkens up so many of these Marshall style amps these days. Marks demo of the atomica, although I wish it had more dry clips sounded really nice and impressive. The CCv always sounded way more modern and voiced farther from Marshall style then a hg Jose which is why I preferred the Jose I onece owned. The only thing that kept me from ordering an atomica was that the cosmetics and plastic faceplate and logo looked cheap , the changeof brand transformers aslo had me wondering with the fact they came with different transformers after George spent yrs saying how his spec'd hoeyboer's were best, or mercurys , besides this they still seemed to sound nice so I am on the fence about getting either an old bitch or an atomica.

I know that chippy s clips seemed kickass if u are into that 8os era tone. I am sure it can so much more. I dont care if circuit is changed or not, chippys old bitch tones sounded great!!! To my ears, even better then Doug's shure modded jmp's which can sound dark

The Atomica can get aggressive, is far from dark IMO, and can do heavy stuff if needed. It all depends on how it is dialed in. That said, I will most likely be selling the Atomica when I get my 1983 Marshall 2203 KK++ mod back from Dan sometime in October.

metalmaniac93":ggc2cigi said:
The Atomica can get aggressive, is far from dark IMO, and can do heavy stuff if needed. It all depends on how it is dialed in. That said, I will most likely be selling the Atomica when I get my 1983 Marshall 2203 KK++ mod back from Dan sometime in October.

I agree that the Atomica can be aggressive, but the Marshall I played after was just inherently more raw and aggressive and open. I guess it wasn't really dark perse, but I generally prefer brighter amps. Also, like you said, it can definitely be heavy even with low output pickups.

braintheory":1e80k5iv said:
metalmaniac93":1e80k5iv said:

I agree that the Atomica can be aggressive, but the Marshall I played after was just inherently more raw and aggressive and open. I guess it wasn't really dark perse, but I generally prefer brighter amps. Also, like you said, it can definitely be heavy even with low output pickups.

We all have our preferences!!!

metalmaniac93":1qicvk9v said:
braintheory":1qicvk9v said:
metalmaniac93":1qicvk9v said:

It's tough to AB amps at loud volumes. Seems like one amp sounds great. Plug into another and its great. Go back to the other and it sounds like shit :confused: Tomorrow it sounds good again until I plug into the other.

glip22":21te2iee said:
metalmaniac93":21te2iee said:
braintheory":21te2iee said:
metalmaniac93":21te2iee said:

It's tough to AB amps at loud volumes. Seems like one amp sounds great. Plug into another and its great. Go back to the other and it sounds like shit :confused: Tomorrow it sounds good again until I plug into the other.

I hate when that happens!!! :doh: :doh: :doh:

rockinchippy":18fja23f said:
Guys - I may have a CCV coming soon so I will A/B them.

In the meantime, I just took a quick clip of the Atomica on the 2nd gain mode...very VH-ish.

Let me know what you think.

I always play in the 2nd Diode Clipping Mode. More open sounding!!! Your clip sounds somewhat VHish!! V30s correct?

glip22":36up9uyv said:
metalmaniac93":36up9uyv said:
braintheory":36up9uyv said:
metalmaniac93":36up9uyv said:

This happens to me all the time. It just goes to show that some amps aren't as great as you initially may have thought. When I played the Cameron Atomica I also AB'ed it with a Diezel Hagen, and the Atomica sounded MUCH better, but had I not done the AB comparison I probably would have thought the Hagen was incredible. I wish there was also a Herbert or VH4 at the time too. It would be pretty shocking if I did an AB comparison with the Herbert and also found the Herbert to sound worse.

rockinchippy":1436miep said:
metalmaniac93":1436miep said:
rockinchippy":1436miep said:

In the meantime, I just took a quick clip of the Atomica on the 2nd gain mode...very VH-ish.

I always play in the 2nd Diode Clipping Mode. More open sounding!!! Your clip sounds somewhat VHish!! V30s correct?

Yup, v30s ... I really love this amp :rock:

It is a great amp!! I tried it with V30s and I could not get along with it. It sounds great with the G12H30s (70th Annys) in the Cameron cab, CL80 and the 70th Anny's in the Cameron Cab (X-Pattern), and it really rocks through the Marshall BHW with Heritage 55s and 75s (55s on bottom)!!

joepete77":16xvc65o said:
I know that chippy s clips seemed kickass if u are into that 8os era tone. I am sure it can so much more. I dont care if circuit is changed or not, chippys old bitch tones sounded great!!! To my ears, even better then Doug's shure modded jmp's which can sound dark
At least spell my name correctly :D

LP Freak":3rap4367 said:
That's the problem around here....you never know who's lurking. :LOL: :LOL:
:LOL: :LOL: John has a sick sense of humor. He's one of the Dudes which is very cool. Even his staff has to have talks with him and tell him to chill out. He can get off the hook sometimes :LOL: :LOL:

glip22":2y4jylm2 said:
LP Freak":2y4jylm2 said:
That's the problem around here....you never know who's lurking. :LOL: :LOL:
:LOL: :LOL: John has a sick sense of humor. He's one of the Dudes which is very cool. Even his staff has to have talks with him and tell him to chill out. He can get off the hook sometimes :LOL: :LOL:
Chill out? I'm always chill....
b93dea61-a942-4f6a-9797-1f68cdffe995.jpeg

glip22":3a1f2xx5 said:
Thats the truth x100!! :yes:

rockinchippy":99v2y1a1 said:

Sounds killer :rock: I just got mine and am blown away...Now i see what you guys were talking about...Amp is killer for sure :rock:

rockinchippy":8tzn89p7 said:
splawner":8tzn89p7 said:
rockinchippy":8tzn89p7 said:

Sounds killer :rock: I just got mine and am blown away...Now i see what you guys were talking about...Amp is killer for sure :rock:

Awesome dude, congrats!!!! :rock:

splawner":35yaj1hq said:
rockinchippy":35yaj1hq said:
splawner":35yaj1hq said:
rockinchippy":35yaj1hq said:

Awesome dude, congrats!!!! :rock:

Killer!!! It does rock!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Back