Diezel Amps with Deep turned off and Presence low -> like a new Amp!

Did use the VHX blue channel for rythm again and this guitar with skinny strings (24,75" scale + 9ths), std. tuning, shape 0 and Deep all the way down does indeed lack some balls. Deep up to 0.1 (and Presence + 0.1) as Philhouse mentioned did cure it.
If i use my 7 String or other guitars with heavier strings or the yellow channel, Deep all the way down is fine and full enough for my likin'.

Cool you tried it.
I make adjustments to the amp only when I am close and in the full beam of the speaker. Room sound is very different where you stand anyway. So I usually make no judgement about the room sound.

Presence could be of course set higher, but if you have deep on zero and presence on say 12:00 is already really pretty harsh, depending on the treble of course.
It depends, if you have a new VH4 it can be harsh with extreme settings, if you have an older one not so much. Tubes are importan, the more you increase the master, the more you perceive bass and treble and less mids, so it's not the best thing to use to much presence. Presence control in the VH4 are set lower than other amp, so you'll increase high mids, not the "air" I have a 2015 VH4 with old specs in certain point, with my Mesa Traditional I used (I was forced) to set the presence at 3 o'clock, now with my Diezel FL with V30s is on 1:30/3 at max, same for the Deeo knob. Every piece in the chain will affect the tone. (And the VH4 in one of the most succeptible amps I've ever owned when it comes to tone change at every tube change).

It depends, if you have a new VH4 it can be harsh with extreme settings, if you have an older one not so much. Tubes are importan, the more you increase the master, the more you perceive bass and treble and less mids, so it's not the best thing to use to much presence. Presence control in the VH4 are set lower than other amp, so you'll increase high mids, not the "air" I have a 2015 VH4 with old specs in certain point, with my Mesa Traditional I used (I was forced) to set the presence at 3 o'clock, now with my Diezel FL with V30s is on 1:30/3 at max, same for the Deeo knob. Every piece in the chain will affect the tone. (And the VH4 in one of the most succeptible amps I've ever owned when it comes to tone change at every tube change).
i got an old herbert and it's also quite dark, too.
You can run the presence at 3:00 o'clock with deep at 6/12:00, no problem.
But with deep at zero (~7:00 o'clock), presence at noon or higher is crazy bright!

My herbert likes the deep also a bit higher than 0.
But with my VHX, all my low gain crunch sounds with Deep on zero and presence at max 0.15 is still the shit! Not a lot of knob fiddling since i discovered this. Finally got the low gain sound out of a Diezel i always wished for!
Rather a slicing than fat attack but without sounding harsh or artifical. The later where the sounds i was getting before, when I tried it with deep around noon and an increase of treble and/or presence to get a more cutting attack.

with the blue channel (high gain) i also tend to use some deep, but far from noon.

i got an old herbert and it's also quite dark, too.
You can run the presence at 3:00 o'clock with deep at 6/12:00, no problem.
But with deep at zero (~7:00 o'clock), presence at noon or higher is crazy bright!

My herbert likes the deep also a bit higher than 0.
But with my VHX, all my low gain crunch sounds with Deep on zero and presence at max 0.15 is still the shit! Not a lot of knob fiddling since i discovered this. Finally got the low gain sound out of a Diezel i always wished for!
Rather a slicing than fat attack but without sounding harsh or artifical. The later where the sounds i was getting before, when I tried it with deep around noon and an increase of treble and/or presence to get a more cutting attack.

with the blue channel (high gain) i also tend to use some deep, but far from noon.
Exactly, I never run both at 0, I nly tried to see what happens and it works if you want to use channel 2 ala JCM800. Being part of the negative feedback they work this way, the more increase both, as I said, the more you scoop the sound and increase the extremes.

Exactly, I never run both at 0, I nly tried to see what happens and it works if you want to use channel 2 ala JCM800. Being part of the negative feedback they work this way, the more increase both, as I said, the more you scoop the sound and increase the extremes.
Yes, totally!!!
And since i know this, it's pretty obvious.

And as said, it took me years to figure this out, which totally baffles me in hindsight.
Maybe this thread will help others to get there quicker, if they want a more convincing classical british sound out of their Diezel.

Well if you want a clean boost.... the VH4 loves the Warm Audio Centavo. It is so clean I leave it on for my channel 1-4 at all times as a clean boost. I was shocked how it made my clean channel 1 of the VH4 pop but not dirty it. I really want a crystal clean channel and I am not a fan of the VH4 clean. The VHX clean is god tier though.

But precision drive can be a clean boost but feels more of a "tightening" tool more than anything. I find it does color a little bit IMO but does really tighten up any low end and is really customizable.

I am playing my VHX right now but when I rotate back to the VH4 I'll try the zero deep and presence. just wanted Ola's video and it sounded amazing but then again... it is Ola. He can plug into a potato and make it sound amazing. :p
This is very cool! What settings do you use on the Centavo to achieve this?

Also, agreed, Ola is the best! Does it chug?

i have learned: start: chug with Deep and presence on 0 turn Deep up until you feel it and then add the presence to taste. Usually it fine at 10-11 both… with the Master at 11-12 and the channel Volumen at 12…
Yesterday i saw a hetfield VH4 live Setting: Deep at 1 , presence down to 10 !, Master at 12 and Channel Volume 9(?) haha but he was add that with Mesa highs…

i have learned: start: chug with Deep and presence on 0 turn Deep up until you feel it and then add the presence to taste. Usually it fine at 10-11 both… with the Master at 11-12 and the channel Volumen at 12…
Yesterday i saw a hetfield VH4 live Setting: Deep at 1 , presence down to 10 !, Master at 12 and Channel Volume 9(?) haha but he was add that with Mesa highs…
Hetfield has that settings because he ads the sizzle with the triaxis. He also uses 6550 which are pretty sizzly and more mid forward and way less compressed compared to EL34s, KT77s and even 6L6s.

Hetfield has that settings because he ads the sizzle with the triaxis. He also uses 6550 which are pretty sizzly and more mid forward and way less compressed compared to EL34s, KT77s and even 6L6s.

Yeah, it sounds pretty awesome with that blend! That’s how I have it blended in my axe fx. I would love to get a VH4 loaded with 6550’s. Dave Friedman will mod them to be fit with the 6550’s. I’ve seen a video on this with Reza Matix and it’s awesome!

Yeah, it sounds pretty awesome with that blend! That’s how I have it blended in my axe fx. I would love to get a VH4 loaded with 6550’s. Dave Friedman will mod them to be fit with the 6550’s. I’ve seen a video on this with Reza Matix and it’s awesome!
Just FYI, I ran my VH4s with 6550s for several years without any need to "mod" them. Now, I know Papa (as in Papa Diezel) has frowned on this (just a smidge) due to their overall running hot, but they worked aces and are still my fave bottles to blast in a VH4. At the time, I used only quad matched =C= brand which may be hard to come by nowadays. But in short - I'd stave off "modding" anything on the VH4 if at all possible.

Just FYI, I ran my VH4s with 6550s for several years without any need to "mod" them. Now, I know Papa (as in Papa Diezel) has frowned on this (just a smidge) due to their overall running hot, but they worked aces and are still my fave bottles to blast in a VH4. At the time, I used only quad matched =C= brand which may be hard to come by nowadays. But in short - I'd stave off "modding" anything on the VH4 if at all possible.
I'm going to give my VH4 a shot with 6L6s at some point to see if it makes for a more present top end (as some have suggested). I don't really want to mod my VH4, but I do wish there was a simple way to add a little of the "sizzle" in the high-gain tones of the Hagen I had.

I'm going to give my VH4 a shot with 6L6s at some point to see if it makes for a more present top end (as some have suggested). I don't really want to mod my VH4, but I do wish there was a simple way to add a little of the "sizzle" in the high-gain tones of the Hagen I had.
6L6 will definitely give you some top-end sizzle - absolutely.

But I fear you'll never get the same grind like ya do on the Hagen, this is why I have both. Not tossing around bragging rights or any bigdick nonsense, just saying the 2 amps are definitely different enough to warrant having both if one can.

But def try the 6L6 - they'll be gold!! :rock:

6L6 will definitely give you some top-end sizzle - absolutely.

But I fear you'll never get the same grind like ya do on the Hagen, this is why I have both. Not tossing around bragging rights or any bigdick nonsense, just saying the 2 amps are definitely different enough to warrant having both if one can.

But def try the 6L6 - they'll be gold!! :rock:
Greatly appreciated, thanks brother.

I used to do the same with my old Mesa Traditional, but now with my Diezel FL with V30s I can set presence and deep at noon and it sounds fantastic, or at 1 oìclock both. 6l6s for me let the amp shines.
I think it is also a circuit revision thing. My 2001 does seem to sound quite different to all these newer VH4's.

I think it is also a circuit revision thing. My 2001 does seem to sound quite different to all these newer VH4's.
There are some differences, I don't want to go too deep into detail but I've searched and found lots of pictures of old and new VH4 boards, there are lots of different value changes. I have some components with values of old VH4s even if it's a 2015, but newer ones sound really good and you can almost copy the old ones with some tricks. Peter said something really important years ago. Use your ears, not your eyes, so true with the VH4. The first month I was disappointed looking on how I had to eq my amp compared to my other amps, it's a psychological thing, you tend to eq all the amps the same way and that's terribly wrong. Let your ears to do the work.

Back