Diezel VH4 or other heads with EL34’s

MesaSean

Hey folks! I have a number of diezels over the years and once again, regret selling my last VH4.

Some one I know has one from 12/2022 with EL34’s for sale.

Thoughts on how it might sound? I’m a total tube noob so I really don’t know what is what. My VHX and last VH4 had KT77’s. I mainly play chug chug Metallica fanboy stuff at home.

Also was thinking of getting and doing the 6550 tube mod.

Thoughts?

Thanks folks!

My used but new to me VH4 came loaded with EL34s which I think sounded great. I only changed it to KT77s to have the same as my other Diezels for shootouts.

Hey folks! I have a number of diezels over the years and once again, regret selling my last VH4.

Some one I know has one from 12/2022 with EL34’s for sale.

Thoughts on how it might sound? I’m a total tube noob so I really don’t know what is what. My VHX and last VH4 had KT77’s. I mainly play chug chug Metallica fanboy stuff at home.

Also was thinking of getting and doing the 6550 tube mod.

Thoughts?

Thanks folks!
The 6550 has a screen grid voltage of 300 volts and your amp has 500 volts. Have fun with your "mod".

I agree here... the VH4 sound better with KT77 or 6l6 tube than El34... reason probably the VH4 already has a mid bump already....
100% agree too.
The EL34's emphasise the mids too much on a pretty middy amp to start with. KT77's are better, but the 6L6's balance the amp out better for me. Gives me the top end I was looking struggling to get with 34's in it.

I'd love to try out 6550s in it, but I don't want to see Peter out front of my window in blue overalls, a Michael Myers mask and a bloody big knife waiting for me.

100% agree too.
The EL34's emphasise the mids too much on a pretty middy amp to start with. KT77's are better, but the 6L6's balance the amp out better for me. Gives me the top end I was looking struggling to get with 34's in it.

I'd love to try out 6550s in it, but I don't want to see Peter out front of my window in blue overalls, a Michael Myers mask and a bloody big knife waiting for me.
6l6s are fine

The 6550 has a screen grid voltage of 300 volts and your amp has 500 volts. Have fun with your "mod".
Hello,, I am new to this but I am trying to write Peter Diezel.. I just bought a Diezel VH4,, Love the amp.. But,, I cannot find a 4 button footswitch that works with it to change all 4 channels? I was told,, any midi controller will work,, but,, that is not true! I bought 2 so far and none of them work with the amp.. Do you have any recommendations for a 4 button switch for changing the channels?? Thanks! Mike

Hello,, I am new to this but I am trying to write Peter Diezel.. I just bought a Diezel VH4,, Love the amp.. But,, I cannot find a 4 button footswitch that works with it to change all 4 channels? I was told,, any midi controller will work,, but,, that is not true! I bought 2 so far and none of them work with the amp.. Do you have any recommendations for a 4 button switch for changing the channels?? Thanks! Mike
I got one of these from eBay years ago and it works great. I even stuck my Diezel sticker right over the middle. Looks cooler :cool:

https://www.actition.net/actition-universal-midi-controllers

KB8qHG2h.jpg

I'm sure some others will chime in with what they use.

Last edited:

I got one of these from eBay years ago and it works great. I even stuck my Diezel sticker right over the middle. Looks cooler :cool:

https://www.actition.net/actition-universal-midi-controllers

I'm sure some others will chime in with what they use.
Hey,, if it works,, great! I will be happy with that! I have seen one like that online but I purchased a couple others didn't work.. I will give that one a shot!! Thanks allot for the help! Mike

Hey,, if it works,, great! I will be happy with that! I have seen one like that online but I purchased a couple others didn't work.. I will give that one a shot!! Thanks allot for the help! Mike
Hello there again.. I just looked that footswitch up,, it says it is 7 pin,, my VH4 has a 5 pin connector,, so that wouldn't work

Back