Engl Fireball 100 is easily their best amp - Change My Mind

^pardon my ignorance but where on the chart does the bass frequencies end? Assuming these are hertz? Just curious.

Last edited:
Not certain that I understand the confusion. It's a widely held belief that the guitar frequencies should sit in the overall mix above the bass and kick drum and below the snare and cymbals. This is broad, and oversimplified as there is lots of overlap...But is really just a fact.

I am not disagreeing with you. Just trying to understand what you mean. Because according to credits, Logan didn't produce Burn my Eyes.
Ahhh...OK. Now I understand. As I'm certain you know he played guitar on Burn My Eyes...And later became a producer along with playing in bands after he left Machine Head. The 5150 that we used in the studio was his from the "Burn My Eyes" era and still had setting markers for his studio and live tones. Make sense? Apologize for the ambiguity.

^pardon my ignorance but were on the chart does the bass frequencies end? Assuming these are hertz? Just curious.
Like in a guitar amp? A guitar cab barely puts out anything below like 60. There are no such things as "sub-harmonics", so the funtamental is as low as the guitar goes, but there are resonances down below from the cab. Or even the guitar itself, I don't know.

Those frequencies are for a guitar tuned to E Standard. A bass guitar tuned to E standard reaches down to half of the lowest note on a guitar, so like 40-something Hz. But then again, many of us are downtuning, lowering everything down.

And a guitar is a whole lot more than fundamental, true. But I'm not sure why the fact that it's supposed to fit above the lowest lows in a band and the highest highs, I don't follow the logic that you're supposed to run the mid knob above 5.

Last edited:
Ahhh...OK. Now I understand. As I'm certain you know he played guitar on Burn My Eyes...And later became a producer along with playing in bands after he left Machine Head. The 5150 that we used in the studio was his from the "Burn My Eyes" era and still had setting markers for his studio and live tones. Make sense? Apologize for the ambiguity.
Really? And the mids are marked up? From the BME session? I'm surprised, TBH. Burn My Eyes sounds pretty prototipically 90's scooped to me.

Really? And the mids are marked up? From the BME session? I'm surprised, TBH. Burn My Eyes sounds pretty prototipically 90's scooped to me.
Unless he was he was being deceptive...Yes, those are the facts of the case. Forget the eq settings, frankly I was more mystified that he actually used the green channel to do his rhythm takes as opposed to the red. I had never used that channel for anything prior to entering the studio with Logan.

When you guys say 1, 2, do you mean with zero as the lowest setting? Or do you mean 1 o’clock, 2 o’clock, etc?

I still don’t get the obsession with destroying amps, to be honest. I could dial in a 5150 and a Savage to play well together on stage easily. And I have owned both (though the 5153 was a 50 watter).

I know which one I would prefer to record with in the studio as well.

I think we should also clarify whether we are talking about live or in the studio. Completely different things.

Last edited:
So I did a small test in my dinky home studio (after figuring out that my Townsend mic can adapt itself to the kind of isobooth I use for recording).

It was just based on the discussion we were having on how much mids is too much? And how much is too little?

For this purpose, I ran my ESP Richard Z Kruspe signature guitar into an Engl Savage 120 with bass at noon and treble at 3am. For the mids in this video, I set them to 9 o'clock.

In video 2 of 2, I set them to 3 o'clock.

Apols, I didn't use a DI and run it through both amp settings, because where's the fun in that. Instead, I for the most part played the same two sets of riffage. The first is the class Born Too Late by St Vitus. The second is one of my originals.

Not having golden ears, I prefer the one with more mids, because my recordings often sound incredibly dark. But I can see how I could work with the second sound as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was aware Machine head used the Green channel. I'm honestly surprised to hear they used the mids up. Even Adam D's 5150 sound which is somewhat stuffy has the mids on like 3 or 4. I forget. Well, then. If it worked for them.
Unless he was he was being deceptive...Yes, those are the facts of the case. Forget the eq settings, frankly I was more mystified that he actually used the green channel to do his rhythm takes as opposed to the red. I had never used that channel for anything prior to entering the studio with Logan.

So I did a small test in my dinky home studio (after figuring out that my Townsend mic can adapt itself to the kind of isobooth I use for recording).

It was just based on the discussion we were having on how much mids is too much? And how much is too little?

For this purpose, I ran my ESP Richard Z Kruspe signature guitar into an Engl Savage 120 with bass at noon and treble at 3am. For the mids in this video, I set them to 3 o'clock.

In video 2 of 2, I set them to 9 o'clock.

Apols, I didn't use a DI and run it through both amp settings, because where's the fun in that. Instead, I for the most part played the same two sets of riffage. The first is the class Born Too Late by St Vitus. The second is one of my originals.

Not having golden ears, I prefer the one with more mids, because my recordings often sound incredibly dark. But I can see how I could work with the second sound as well.

I literally have no idea what this is or what you are trying to figure out here.

Its just a quick demo w mids at 3 oclock and then mids at 9 oclock :dunno:

Sounds exactly the same to me though :dunno:

I just don’t get what this is “testing” I guess…. I mean… it’s literally two clips of someone playing in the room with 7000 variables put into place intentionally :haha

Oh snap, I goofed. I got confused. The one with the mids at 3 o'clock should be 9 and vice versa. I'll correct that on the videos.

I literally have no idea what this is or what you are trying to figure out here.

We were discussing settings for mids and you and some others made the point that mids don't have to be very high live or in the studio.

On this specific amp, that doesn't hold true is all that I was trying to point out. It sounds better with the mids cranked.

That might also be the reason you think the amp is "destroyed" by every other amp out there live, a view I don't subscribe to.

Its just a quick demo w mids at 3 oclock and then mids at 9 oclock :dunno:

Sounds exactly the same to me though :dunno:

Ah, headphones might help. The one with mids higher is decidedly brighter. The one with mids at 9 o'clock is darker, but still very usable.

I just don’t get what this is “testing” I guess…. I mean… it’s literally two clips of someone playing in the room with 7000 variables put into place intentionally :haha

There are only two major variables that I can think of:
- The playing (which is by the same guy, in the same room, on the same guitar, and the same riffs. Couldn't be helped, and I doubt you'd be convinced if I used a DI to be honest)
- The mid setting.

Everything else remains exactly the same throughout the recording.

The "myth" that you have to set your mids high probably originated when people found that scooping out their mids made them sound like a bass guitar, with some added high end content.

And that's the situation most people have. I mean, I get it, you talk to people rocking big gigs. For most people though, the idea of running an amp with the mids that low just seems like bad advice.

And guess what, for most people, that still holds true, irrespective of whatany of those guys able to crank the amp to 10 say. Maybe it's just Fletcher Munson.

That was the purpose of this test, unscientific as it was: To highlight that the argument being made about mids was fallacious.

Of course, this is all based on my limited experience, who am I to worry about these things anyway. I can barely get a good tone most of the time.

Oh snap, I goofed. I got confused. The one with the mids at 3 o'clock should be 9 and vice versa. I'll correct that on the videos.

The fact that had you had them flip flopped made my point even more. Headphones or not. I can't tell. No offense though. Lots of dudes around here don't/can't post clips so kudos for trying :dunno:

Last edited:
The fact that had you had them flip flopped made my point even more. Headphones or not. I can't tell. No offense though. Lots of dudes around here don't/can't post clips so kudos for trying :dumno:

The issue occurred when naming the files. I accidentally thought 3 was less than nine. Simple mistake. Thanks for the encouragement, there's a lot better stuff being posted in the music clips section though.

Not certain that I understand the confusion. It's a widely held belief that the guitar frequencies should sit in the overall mix above the bass and kick drum and below the snare and cymbals. This is broad, and oversimplified as there is lots of overlap...But is really just a fact.
The new album with great guitar tones you will knotice the cymbals and high hat are very low in mix . Take master of puppets . That taught me a lot . Almost all my favorite albums are that way

Back