ESP JAPAN CUSTOM SHOP NGD

BRENTrocks

This guitar appealed to me for a couple different reasons…

One, I like double cuts. This ESP reminds me of the early Heritage H170s.

Two, I have always liked Kirk Hammett and Metallica. I think he is a great guitar player (regardless of his over use of a wha) lol.

…and it had a beautiful flametop on it!!!

I’m not sure on the year. It’s an ESP Custom Kirk Hammett signature DC.

Mahogany body and neck. Killer AAAA carved flame top. Rosewood fretboard. 17-22 frets are scalloped. Active EMGs 81/60. Locking TonePros bridge and tailpiece. Locking Sperzel tuners. Only 7 lbs 9ozs.

Medium C neck carve. Sets up perfectly. Plays and sounds incredible!!!

IMG_9969.jpeg
IMG_9974.jpeg
IMG_9976.jpeg
IMG_9968.jpeg
IMG_9970.jpeg
IMG_9975.jpeg
IMG_9972.jpeg
IMG_9973.jpeg
IMG_9971.jpeg
IMG_9966.jpeg

I usually love your fiddles, but that one just doesn’t do it for me, I’d rather have an Ibanez Artist (an 80s one, not the shit they make now in China)

I remember looking at those and thinking that they reminded me of the old ibby’s…which are killer guitars btw…then thinking that it is like the opposite of what I would imagine hammet playing.

I decided to pull the EMGs last night.

I re wired it with vol/vol/neck tone/3 way.

Used Bourns pots, a Switchcraft toggle/jack and a .022 PIO cap.

The pickups are custom wound A4 neck and A5 bridge. Rob Doolittle of THE KALAMAZOO GUITAR COMPANY made them for me to try out in my band. He is experimenting with different winds and mags and pottings. This particular set is not potted.

They sound incredible!! So much warmer and less brittle than the EMGs.

This guitar is so friggin awesome.
IMG_9985.jpeg
IMG_9984.jpeg
IMG_9983.jpeg
IMG_9982.jpeg
IMG_9981.jpeg

Congrats! Yep that one is right up your alley.....

For the record, I too think Kirk is a great player...and I don't care about the wah lol...but my pet peeve is his (lack of) Vibrato! ARRGH!!
It's like the first thing I worked on when I was 15. Over and over, every string, up and down the fretboard.....Cmon Kirk you have Gary's old LP! Maybe the best vibrato EVER owned that guitar!! Haha

Back