Ever seen the inside of a Tone King Sky King?

I wondered about that because I doubted that BAD would be comfortable with that construction style.
I know they didn't make the Sky King for too long before the other parent company pre-BAD went out of business. I didn't realize the original had the built-in attenuators.

I owned and gigged a Tone King Comet for a while. 40-watts, from 4 6V6s, 1x12 combo. 2 channels, and could run the "lead" channel at half power (just 2 tubes). The best clean blackface and crunchy tweed in one amp I've played.

I sold it years ago to buy a first-generation AxeFX (which I still have). The Axe does both BF and Tweed, and adds 2 versions of chimey vos, and a pretty decent wound-up plexi - used that AxeFX for several years doing 3 or 4 sets of covers.

But the Tone King is an amp I'll always remember, and if I needed that (those) sound again, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I need to see you in my office....
There's part of me that regretted that decision. But the AxeFX was MUCH more versatile, and I was doing 3-4 set cover band stuff at the time, and loved all the sounds I could get.

Plus I also still have a Tweed Deluxe, which is great.

Back