Favorite VH brown sound in a pedal solutions?

Sounds great, especially the latest clip!

Does the lion do that variac’d plexi vowel sound when you slam a power chord and it’s starving for juice?

I have an FM3 and Sl67 rig and that’s really the only element I miss between the modeler vs the real thing.

Sounds great, especially the latest clip!

Does the lion do that variac’d plexi vowel sound when you slam a power chord and it’s starving for juice?

I have an FM3 and Sl67 rig and that’s really the only element I miss between the modeler vs the real thing.
yes!
the tone is really checking the boxes i look for in the bronchial blaring mid frequencies and the spitty hairy chirp on the treble strings without too much hashy buzz.

and the feel when hitting chords or bending high notes is breathing in that squishy bloomy way too!

although there’s more clarity and fullness in the top end of eddie’s actual sound, i’m not looking to forensically clone him. jim gausted has cornered that market and God bless him!
i’m just heavily inspired by some of the attributes of vh tone and have fun getting close by cobbling together my own recipes.

recorded vh tone starts at the maestro’s impeccable technique, which results in way less slop around the notes than i could ever dream of, and the screaming cranked variac’ed plexi valve punch through the right speaker combos and miked in a killer room by a legend is pretty special outcome.

just talked to him yesterday. he closed hot licks and moved to Arizona a few years ago but visited here last month. he still has some cool amps including the cameron atomica, rockstah modded 45/100, etc but sold his simul coli III and lots of grail rack stuff ( 2290/1210/tristereo).
I played thru Carlos' Cameron Modded Marshall with Zachman's rack at Hot Licks back around 2006 or so. I saw him do that Journey tribute band with that setup and sounded killer. It was funny, he was learning all of those Journey songs in the shop every time I walked in there, lol.

I was back in Hawaii for a visit in October and had a great time. My old bass player Cory has that 808 BBQ up in Kaneohe and stopped by to see him with our old drummer but he was sick that week.

It was weird not seeing Island Guitars and Hot Licks. I didn't get to any guitar stores while I was there but went to L&L numerous times 🤣🤣🤣🤙

I played thru Carlos' Cameron Modded Marshall with Zachman's rack at Hot Licks back around 2006 or so. I saw him do that Journey tribute band with that setup and sounded killer. It was funny, he was learning all of those Journey songs in the shop every time I walked in there, lol.

I was back in Hawaii for a visit in October and had a great time. My old bass player Cory has that 808 BBQ up in Kaneohe and stopped by to see him with our old drummer but he was sick that week.

It was weird not seeing Island Guitars and Hot Licks. I didn't get to any guitar stores while I was there but went to L&L numerous times 🤣🤣🤣🤙
thank goodness there are a few places left here that carry cool stuff!

@mentoneman did you try the Wampler Pinnacle? I just got an older one and it's not really doing it for me. I need to try the Lion. For whatever reason Imgur hates me and I cant view any pictures/videos from there. Been that way for years, PC computer, iPotato, Android work phone...all no bueno.

@mentoneman did you try the Wampler Pinnacle? I just got an older one and it's not really doing it for me. I need to try the Lion. For whatever reason Imgur hates me and I cant view any pictures/videos from there. Been that way for years, PC computer, iPotato, Android work phone...all no bueno.
i opted to go Lion rather than chase the Pinnacle route.
Imgur is weird but easy to post quick iphone clips on. i’d like to do a more proper miced up cab demo of the Lion and my New Wave chorus for my next yt vid.

I didn't know Zachman had a guitar shop... I'd have gone to visit. Does he ever come around here anymore?

I didn't know Zachman had a guitar shop... I'd have gone to visit. Does he ever come around here anymore?
Metoneman would probably know more about how that happened but my friend Carlos and Zach worked there and I think Carlos' Dad owned it ir ran it. Zach was working there and then I think he took it over. I used to go in there and talk with those guys about Schenker, EVH, etc. and play thru different setups.

Metoneman would probably know more about how that happened but my friend Carlos and Zach worked there and I think Carlos' Dad owned it ir ran it. Zach was working there and then I think he took it over. I used to go in there and talk with those guys about Schenker, EVH, etc. and play thru different setups.
That would have been cool to visit with Zackman and play his gear. Phenomenal player and had great tone and gear. I didn't even know that shops like that existed anymore.. guess it doesn't now though.

my friend Dan has a great boutique guitar shop in Honolulu worth the visit if you’re in town.
lotsa new and used amps, guitars and pedals!
IMG_0945.jpeg

IMG_0944.jpeg

IMG_1515.jpeg

IMG_1525.jpeg

more fun tone chasing times ahead-thank you @griff10672 and what cool packaging!

ever since giving my vertex modded plexitone away to a friend, there’s been a sorely missed modded plexi tone hole in my pedalboard. i’m looking forward to this.

Wayne described this pedal as inspired by the plexitone and panama which was very intriguing. I’ve had 2 plexitones and loved them for the raw splattery plexi too end thing they do. never tried the panama but imagined it had more mids to play with.

i’ll mess with it for a day or two before trying to clip her up!

i have tried one but at the time it did not strike me as a vh type overdrive. it was more like my v1 barber direct drive or xotic ac boost. all great pedals.

fwiw the three headscratchers in overdrive land i never bonded with at all were the timmy, the klon, and fulltone full drive II. in my rigs they were dogs but i’ve had friends make them sound sweet.
I realize I'm late to the party here, but I held onto a v.2 Timmy for three years because of TGP.
Every thread praised the Timmy.

I never got along with it.
Multiple amps I tried it with as well...
Vox AC15, Vox AC15HW, Boogie Cali Tweed, Marshall DSL40, Friedman Dirty Shirley and I think I even had it when I had a Rivera 25/12 I think it was.

Funny, these days it doesn't seem to get mentioned much in OD threads...

I realize I'm late to the party here, but I held onto a v.2 Timmy for three years because of TGP.
Every thread praised the Timmy.

I never got along with it.
Multiple amps I tried it with as well...
Vox AC15, Vox AC15HW, Boogie Cali Tweed, Marshall DSL40, Friedman Dirty Shirley and I think I even had it when I had a Rivera 25/12 I think it was.

Funny, these days it doesn't seem to get mentioned much in OD threads...
my friend let me babysit that pedal back when they were the rage and it was the same for me. Klon too.

my friend let me babysit that pedal back when they were the rage and it was the same for me. Klon too.
I use a klone and a vintage SD-1 in front of my Metro JTM45.
Really like what a klone does, just seems to make my tone beefier, for lack of a better word. Gain on klone is only around 8 or 9 oclock.
The SD-1 is great too, its like going into warp speed.
Or ludicrous speed for that matter!

first dance with the Atomic Punk overdrive!

as a standalone hard rock box in front of my clean peacemaker, i can compare it to the following:

IMG_1539.jpeg

in this context,

-the Atomic has more available gain than the Brownie, the Lion, and the Arc Furnace (which is more tube screamer/SRV)
but less than the DS-1 and Plexi Crunch(PC)

-it makes the DS-1 sound like an AM radio and is closest tonally to the Brownie, but squishier/saggier and gainier thus easier to solo with

-as a stand alone dirt box in front of a clean marshall amp as seen in the vid i prefer it over the Lion and Brownie. very reminiscent of the Plexitone with the spitty top end and as expected, chewier mids which come by rolling off the tone control.

-the Plexi Crunch can get heavier and more saturated so i can play with easier legato comfort using it as a solo box, and i can roll off my gtr vol and achieve a more useable clean.
however the vh inspired rhythm crunch TONE isn’t as true as the Atomic.

-Damp is a cool feature. i have made it a practice to use a compressor in front of my dirt boxes forever, to hit my OD of choice harder with a particularly compatible color, and introduce a controllable sag into the equation. this lightens the load off the OD box considerably. not sure exactly how Damp is working but i think it’s doing a similar thing and would be awesome to have an optimized circuit like i described built in.

i briefly swapped out the Lion to try the Atomic in my rack rig’s VH tone position, hitting the front of my Eggie IE4 /ch 3 channel set fairly dirty. in that respect nothing beats the surgical VH tweaking i get with the Lion.

cons (in this context:)

-i can’t take the tone control much past 35-40% before it starts getting too bright. i wouldn’t mind the current 50% straight up position being the 100% cranked level in a revision, allowing more fine tuning between those values.

-the same with the level control. thing gets LOUD FAST past 40-50%.

-when very briefly attempting to use the Atomic in front of an already overdriven channel (my rack preamps or mesa mark III/rhythm 2 channel) it had more hiss than the other pedals. but it did sound and feel cool with the mesa ch 2 aside from that!

next experiment will be hitting the front of the Atomic with some comps and boosts!

Back