Finally Back In the Diezel Club...2022 VH4

angelspade

It's been a long time since I posted here. Good to see a few of the old regulars are still around. I was just reading through the some of the recent Diezel posts the other day and it reminded of how much I missed my old Diezels. I owned a 2005 VH4 previously along with a Herbert MKI. I actually posted some very lengthy and overly verbose reviews and comparison here (and harmony central) of both way back when. I ended up loaning both heads to a studio out in Van Nuys about a year later for a recording project. The in house producers loved them so much that they made me an offer well above market, and I took it thinking I could always buy a VH4 or Herbert again down the road. Over the years, I cycled through some EVH heads, a Bogner, Marshall JVM, a Mesa triple crown, a KSR Colossus and a couple modelers. Well, nostalgia ended up getting the best of me this week. I never could quite get the Diezel tone out of my head. Particularly the VH4 channel 3, and the Herbert's channel 2 in + mode with the mid-cut engaged. I recently sold the Colossus and traded right into a 2022 Diezel VH4 that was for sale locally. A couple observations after a few days with the 2022 VH4:

- I know that the VH4 updates over the years have been described as minimal, but I have to say that it seems there's a fairly noticeable difference. This 2022 VH4 is definitely brighter. It also feels more present, a bit less compressed and more aggressive overall. Maybe my ears are deceiving me, but I don't thinks so.

- I never could make channel 4 work as a rhythm channel on the previous model. It was perfectly voiced for lead runs, but too thick, dark, chewy and compressed for hard rock / metal rhythm. On the 2022, its a great channel for riffing with the treble and presence pushed a bit and the mids set below noon. Sounds great, actually.

- Channel 2 seems to have a good helping of additional gain and attack. It's AC/DC with the gain at noon -1 O'clock, and pushed hard it's an amazing sounding 80's metal to 90's hard rock sound. I remember it as a great classic rock channel generally on the previous model, but seems capable of more aggressive styles when pushed on the 2022 VH4. Extremely versatile. Again, maybe my perception is being influenced by the "new amp" honeymoon period of enthusiasm, but I really don't think so.

- I can push the bass and deep harder on this amp without the bottom end starting to soften up. I would imagine that this is a function of the overall brighter character. In any case, it really allows me to dial the amp in rich and thick on channels 3 and 4 and still retain great clarity, which I love.

OK, now a couple questions for you Diezel guys: I typically run a dual amp set up. After the VH4 acquisition, I tried running it with my Koch Supernova head. I definitely am liking what I am hearing. That said, I may try a second Diezel head to pair up with the VH4.

- Would a Hagen (I've never played one) that is dialed in / EQ'ed differently than the VH4 be a good choice potentially? or will it be too similar in overall character to create the fullness and variance required for a good blended tone?

- Or should I try it blended with a Herbert MarkIII? For more obvious reasons as its seems to be more inherently different than the VH4?

I would appreciate all thoughts ant opinions. Finally, I want to congratulate Peter Diezel on the VH4. That channel 3 has always haunted me, and I strongly suspect that's because he (subjectively) creates quite possibly the finest amps on the planet. It's good to be back in the club.

20230221_144803.jpg

Last edited:
Your hearing is definitely working. I haven't played an earlier VH4 myself but I'm familiar with the Axe Fx III Silverface model, which I believe is based off of an early 2000s VH4. It sounds very different: much darker, rounder, more compressed, and the bass/depth is out of control. The latest version of the VH4 is the best they've produced IMO. It's clear, articulate, tight and aggressive. You can roll the bass and depth knobs all the way up and the amp stays together (although that wouldn't sound great in a mix).

I've also noticed that CH4 offers more of an attack than CH3 for fast riffing or chugs (thrash stuff). I think this is because it's using an additional gain stage that channel 3 doesn't have, i.e. it has more headroom. I've considered using CH4 as my go-to rhythm channel and CH3 for solos.

Thanks pipboy90. It's can be difficult to say without a trues side by side comparison. But I can tell you based on my recollection the current version is superior for my needs and tastes.

@the other John Browne made an excellent video comparing the VH4 and Hagen. Definitely check it out!
Thank You. I did, and yes...GREAT vid by him. I just can't tell if the two (VH4 and Hagen) are two similar to blend. Maybe the Herbert would be a better choice. I'm going to sit with the Koch Supernova combo for a bit and think about it. The Koch sounds good with the VH4, and it's definitely voiced more similarly to the Herbert than the Hagen (from the videos I have seen).

One thing is for sure, those two amp heads look great together!!
Enjoy your new VH4!

It's been a long time since I posted here. Good to see a few of the old regulars are still around. I was just reading through the some of the recent Diezel posts the other day and it reminded of how much I missed my old Diezels. I owned a 2005 VH4 previously along with a Herbert MKI. I actually posted some very lengthy and overly verbose reviews and comparison here (and harmony central) of both way back when. I ended up loaning both heads to a studio out in Van Nuys about a year later for a recording project. The in house producers loved them so much that they made me an offer well above market, and I took it thinking I could always buy a VH4 or Herbert again down the road. Over the years, I cycled through some EVH heads, a Bogner, Marshall JVM, a Mesa triple crown, a KSR Colossus and a couple modelers. Well, nostalgia ended up getting the best of me this week. I never could quite get the Diezel tone out of my head. Particularly the VH4 channel 3, and the Herbert's channel 2 in + mode with the mid-cut engaged. I recently sold the Colossus and traded right into a 2022 Diezel VH4 that was for sale locally. A couple observations after a few days with the 2022 VH4:

- I know that the VH4 updates over the years have been described as minimal, but I have to say that it seems there's a fairly noticeable difference. This 2022 VH4 is definitely brighter. It also feels more present, a bit less compressed and more aggressive overall. Maybe my ears are deceiving me, but I don't thinks so.

- I never could make channel 4 work as a rhythm channel on the previous model. It was perfectly voiced for lead runs, but too think, dark, chewy and compressed for hard rock / metal rhythm. On the 2022, its a great channel for riffing with the treble and presence pushed a bit and the mids set below noon. Sounds great, actually.

- Channel 2 seems to have a good helping of additional gain and attack. It's AC/DC with the gain at noon -1 O'clock, and pushed hard it's an amazing sounding 80's metal to 90's hard rock sound. I remember it as a great classic rock channel generally on the previous model, but seems capable of more aggressive styles when pushed on the 2022 VH4. Extremely versatile. Again, maybe my perception is being influenced by the "new amp" honeymoon period of enthusiasm, but I really don't think so.

- I can push the bass and deep harder on this amp without the bottom end starting to soften up. I would imagine that this is a function of the overall brighter character. In any case, it really allows me to dial the amp in rich and thick on channels 3 and 4 and still retain great clarity, which I love.

OK, now a couple questions for you Diezel guys: I typically run a dual amp set up. After the VH4 acquisition, I tried running it with my Koch Supernova head. I definitely am liking what I am hearing. That said, I may try a second Diezel head to pair up with the VH4.

- Would a Hagen (I've never played one) that is dialed in / EQ'ed differently than the VH4 be a good choice potentially? or will it be too similar in overall character to create the fullness and variance required for a good blended tone?

- Or should I try it blended with a Herbert MarkIII? For more obvious reasons as its seems to be more inherently different than the VH4?

I would appreciate all thoughts ant opinions. Finally, I want to congratulate Peter Diezel on the VH4. That channel 3 has always haunted me, and I strongly suspect that's because he (subjectively) creates quite possibly the finest amps on the planet. It's good to be back in the club.

View attachment 166717
Personally, I'd blend it with a Herbert. Maybe with the Midcut engaged so the VH4 can live in that spectrum and the Herbert can add its special sauce at the ends of the frequency spectrum

Personally, I'd blend it with a Herbert. Maybe with the Midcut engaged so the VH4 can live in that spectrum and the Herbert can add its special sauce at the ends of the frequency spectrum
Thanks...That's actually kinda what I was thinking as well. Scoop the Herbert (I actually prefer all channels w/ the mid-cut engaged) and push the mids on the VH4. Thanks for your input...From your video and your conclusions, it seems that the VH4 and Hagen are potentially more similar That I had guessed.

Just out of curiosity what power tubes is your VH4 running ?
It came with the stock EL34s. They sound good. That said, I have heard that the 6550s sound very aggressive in the VH4, so I may give them at try. What are your thoughts?

Back