Frustrated AF with my amp search

Thanks for this input. Probably cross that one off my list if it's dark as you say.
Normally I’d say it’s just my opinion but I’ve heard many others say the same. Some love ‘em though and AFAIK they are solid well built amps. I turned mine pretty quick, not enough clank/kerrang for me,

Normally I’d say it’s just my opinion but I’ve heard many others say the same. Some love ‘em though and AFAIK they are solid well built amps. I turned mine pretty quick, not enough clank/kerrang for me,
Every Budda I’ve played just never got bright or aggressive enough on the top end. I really wanted to like a SD45 when they came out but it was too much like all of them.

You should maybe look at a Mark V 25?? Used might be $1200-ish??

Or, a 5150 50 watt. Use green and blue channels only (fuck the red channel). That's well under budget. They get loud, but they're also fantastic at whisper volumes.

Another good choice would be a Runt 20, (or 50 for that matter). The cleans on the 50 watt are exceptional. I haven't played the 20, but I assume the same would be said.

Most of my amps are LOUD metal/hard rock beasts that I love; Splawn Pro Mod & Quick Rod, Peavey VTM-60. I have those bases well covered and love the tones I get there, all set with that.

I've been playing in several bands and projects that call for the opposite most of the time, nicely warm cleans, low gain edge of break up, and some mid-gain rock, at low to medium volumes. Basically, stuff my Splawn or VTM won't work well with. I've been through several amps since and none have wowed me.

Right now I'm using a Mesa TA-30 that is ok but I don't love it like my other tones. I've been through Rivera M60, Ampeg GVT15, Mesa 5:25, DRRI, AC15, Bluguitar Amp1 (still use for a backup), and some others I'm forgetting. I've also been using a HRDX at one band's practice and the clean is nice but I don't love using pedals for dirty sounds.

I admit, I've mostly stuck to lower budget used stuff, mostly <$1k because I'm poor. Do I need to shell out thou$ands to get a 2 channel amp with great clean AND great dirty, effects loop, and at least 30 watts? I would prefer a British overdrive but I don't even care at this point, I just don't want it to be sloppy sounding with a loose low end and not muddy or fizzy when gained up. The clean channel has to be great as well, not thin and trebly (like my TA-30). Any suggestions on where to go next?
Have you tried a Boogie Mark series amp? MK5 MK4?

A used Dirty Shirley would be my recommendation. Even better, but a few bucks more, would be the twin sister. Both of these amps would wonderfully cover all the tones described in the OP. I have the Twin Sister head. It is my goto amp for fill-in gigs I play (everything from the Outfield to Bad Company to classic Sammy Hagar etc...) cleans are fantastic. Mid gain tones are amazing too. With the gain dime'd you can get very good hard rock tones. Slap a boost out front and you can do it all. 40 Watts will get you up and over anything you need for 95% of the bar gigs out there. Effects loop is great too.

What kind of tubes were in it?
What mode(s) did you use for the power section?
Which brand and kind of tubes did you use in the preamp and power amp?
I don't remember but I know it was super picky about tubes. I found the perfect combination of new & NOS tubes and when it was time to replace them it never sounded as good so I sold it.

A used Dirty Shirley would be my recommendation. Even better, but a few bucks more, would be the twin sister. Both of these amps would wonderfully cover all the tones described in the OP. I have the Twin Sister head. It is my goto amp for fill-in gigs I play (everything from the Outfield to Bad Company to classic Sammy Hagar etc...) cleans are fantastic. Mid gain tones are amazing too. With the gain dime'd you can get very good hard rock tones. Slap a boost out front and you can do it all. 40 Watts will get you up and over anything you need for 95% of the bar gigs out there. Effects loop is great too.
Which clean is better DS or TS? Sounds like a good option...edit I see the DS in a single channel. TS would be the one but pricey
Used JCM2k DSL. Best 2 channel classic rock amp you can find for around $6-700 used.
Forgot to mention I had the DSL40 combo and DSL50. Nice amps but not quite what I'm looking for.

Last edited:

Or, a 5150 50 watt. Use green and blue channels only (fuck the red channel). That's well under budget. They get loud, but they're also fantastic at whisper volumes.

Another good choice would be a Runt 20, (or 50 for that matter). The cleans on the 50 watt are exceptional. I haven't played the 20, but I assume the same would be said.
I'd love a Mk V:25 but clean & crunch on the same channel kills it for me. Same problem with my Express 5:25 and why I sold it.

5150 is one I need to revisit, I spent a little time with on and remember kind of liking it. Same with the Runt. I hear good things about the Iconic but white amps are a no go for me lol.

I dig my Archon 50 for just about anything. Got my combo new for $900, which I know where a few are left at that price. And Tone Shop had a head for $800 last time I was in there.
DSL 50, Mesa .50 Caliber Plus, Orange TH30, PV Classic, Budda SD, Friedman Runt, Vox AC15C1 or 30 are all amps I've had that can work. Deluxe Reverb and pedals is a good one as well.
Lots of good pedals out there for crunch sounds.

Man, even white amps are feeling the DEI squeeze 😂
I had a cream colored Crate VC30 as my first tube amp for years and that tolex got so nasty I said I'd never buy that color again. White is even worse because at least the tan/cream looks kind of cool as it ages. Just like white people, white amps don't age well. 😆

Yep, good option. My 5150-III covers tons of bases.

I had a cream colored Crate VC30 as my first tube amp for years and that tolex got so nasty I said I'd never buy that color again. White is even worse because at least the tan/cream looks kind of cool as it ages. Just like white people, white amps don't age well. 😆
Truth…😉

Check out a Mesa Maverick if you can. That on channel one with the gain at noon and my Blue Angle together is one of my favorite tones.

No mesa head or combo is light. I move 4x12's easier than I can either of my combos.

Back