Frustrated AF with my amp search

donalddemon

Most of my amps are LOUD metal/hard rock beasts that I love; Splawn Pro Mod & Quick Rod, Peavey VTM-60. I have those bases well covered and love the tones I get there, all set with that.

I've been playing in several bands and projects that call for the opposite most of the time, nicely warm cleans, low gain edge of break up, and some mid-gain rock, at low to medium volumes. Basically, stuff my Splawn or VTM won't work well with. I've been through several amps since and none have wowed me.

Right now I'm using a Mesa TA-30 that is ok but I don't love it like my other tones. I've been through DSL40C, Rivera M60, Ampeg GVT15, Mesa 5:25, DRRI, AC15, Laney GH30R, Bluguitar Amp1 (still use for a backup), and some others I'm forgetting. I've also been using a HRDX at one band's practice and the clean is nice but I don't love using pedals for dirty sounds.

I admit, I've mostly stuck to lower budget used stuff, mostly <$1k because I'm poor. Do I need to shell out thou$ands to get a 2 channel amp with great clean AND great dirty, effects loop, and at least 30 watts? I would prefer a British overdrive but I don't even care at this point, I just don't want it to be sloppy sounding with a loose low end and not muddy or fizzy when gained up. The clean channel has to be great as well, not thin and trebly (like my TA-30). Any suggestions on where to go next?

Edited to add: the styles I’ll be playing with this amp is very little rock and zero metal. There’s funk, soul, jazz, blues, RnB, rootsy stuff. One band that does covers will have more classic or 80s rock but nothing that requires heavy gain.

Last edited:
Might try a Peavey Classic 30. It’s got pretty fat cleans. or get an eq pedal and fatten up the TA30, Compressors are cool for clean and mid gain tones too. I struggled with those tones before I got a compressor

edit - I see you dont like pedals for dirt so i took all those suggestions out

Last edited:
Most of my amps are LOUD metal/hard rock beasts that I love; Splawn Pro Mod & Quick Rod, Peavey VTM-60. I have those bases well covered and love the tones I get there, all set with that.

I've been playing in several bands and projects that call for the opposite most of the time, nicely warm cleans, low gain edge of break up, and some mid-gain rock, at low to medium volumes. Basically, stuff my Splawn or VTM won't work well with. I've been through several amps since and none have wowed me.

Right now I'm using a Mesa TA-30 that is ok but I don't love it like my other tones. I've been through Rivera M60, Ampeg GVT15, Mesa 5:25, DRRI, AC15, Bluguitar Amp1 (still use for a backup), and some others I'm forgetting. I've also been using a HRDX at one band's practice and the clean is nice but I don't love using pedals for dirty sounds.

I admit, I've mostly stuck to lower budget used stuff, mostly <$1k because I'm poor. Do I need to shell out thou$ands to get a 2 channel amp with great clean AND great dirty, effects loop, and at least 30 watts? I would prefer a British overdrive but I don't even care at this point, I just don't want it to be sloppy sounding with a loose low end and not muddy or fizzy when gained up. The clean channel has to be great as well, not thin and trebly (like my TA-30). Any suggestions on where to go next?
Do you still have the Rivera?

For around $1K you could get two Marshall Origin 50. I have the combo and the head, and they sound and feel great IMO.

Engl Artist Edition 50W used; I have the 100W version and it covers everything I need and more from clean to thrash, probably more.

Reactions: PDC

Right now I'm using a Mesa TA-30 that is ok but I don't love it like my other tones. I've been through Rivera M60, Ampeg GVT15, Mesa 5:25, DRRI, AC15, Bluguitar Amp1 (still use for a backup), and some others I'm forgetting. I've also been using a HRDX at one band's practice and the clean is nice but I don't love using pedals for dirty sounds.

get a modeler. problem solved. go straight into the pa, or get a power amp, or use the return of an amp.

You might really dig the Mesa Electra Dyne, you can find the combos for around $800, I got my head for $700 but the guy was sick of trying to sell it and sold it to me cheap. It’s kinda like a Plexi/JCM with a Mesa power section, ridiculous clean tone and takes pedals EXTREMELY well.

This isn’t meant as a “look at me play” vid, just fuckin’ with tones with the Electra when I first got it. This is on the Blue channel (medium gain) Around 2:20 I start adding other pedals on top of it.

(This is boosted with an OCD or a Lovepedal Vintage Modern)

Mesa Fillmore 50
This is a great choice. I was going to recommend the Benson Vincent but it's more than your $1k budget. The Fillmore is a wonderful amp especially paired with M65 or H75 Creambacks. You could live on the mid-gain setting and use your guitar's volume control and a couple pedals and you'd be set. I'd recommend the 50w so you have enough clean headroom.

Honestly sounds like what I been looking for myself and I have my sights set on a Laney LA30BL. Good cleans but not sure how the edge of breakup tones sound cause everyone demoes them pretending like they are Tony Iommi. It's supposed to be bluesbreaker-ish so I think when I get the cash together I might grab one. 30 watts will let me work those smaller gigs a little better. Right around a grand too, 700-800 used. Circumstances have forced me to work on dialing in my Twin for that and actually I have finally been getting a passable tone with it so at least I got that going for me.

I know you tried a Rivera, but for real, my Clubster Royale Recording is a monster that hits all of these marks. Best clean, tight gain channel that can go crunchy or onboard boost for heavier stuff. I play everything from pristine, high headroom cleans, to absolutely slamming metal and ripping leads. I do not know if the Clubster Royale sounds like the Clubster Royale Recording, but one would think so. The non recording variants are far cheaper and more plentiful, of course. On the Recording though - Top notch.

Honestly sounds like what I been looking for myself and I have my sights set on a Laney LA30BL. Good cleans but not sure how the edge of breakup tones sound cause everyone demoes them pretending like they are Tony Iommi. It's supposed to be bluesbreaker-ish so I think when I get the cash together I might grab one. 30 watts will let me work those smaller gigs a little better. Right around a grand too, 700-800 used. Circumstances have forced me to work on dialing in my Twin for that and actually I have finally been getting a passable tone with it so at least I got that going for me.
laney makes some really nice stuff.

you might dig a Budda SD 30 too.

laney makes some really nice stuff.

you might dig a Budda SD 30 too.
It looks like the heads are more money than the combo, wth? The Mesa Blue Angel @GJgo mentioned is one I also forgot about. The 4x10's are kind of a pain in the ass to haul though. Lighter than a Twin but less convenient. Does look like my kind of amp, very straightforward. I like simple stuff. Thanks for mentioning those guys.

I refuse to move into 1x12's though so I was looking at heads. My thought was the Laney just stacked on my Twin cab. Then I have a backup in case of failure. More crap to carry but until I could put the dough together for a cab I have two Twins both loaded with some pretty sweet speakers right now. We'll see how it plays out. I have been starting to stack some gigs but I have had many financial setbacks this year already. Maybe I need to busk downtown on my nights off.

It looks like the heads are more money than the combo, wth? The Mesa Blue Angel @GJgo mentioned is one I also forgot about. The 4x10's are kind of a pain in the ass to haul though. Lighter than a Twin but less convenient. Does look like my kind of amp, very straightforward. I like simple stuff. Thanks for mentioning those guys.

I refuse to move into 1x12's though so I was looking at heads. My thought was the Laney just stacked on my Twin cab. Then I have a backup in case of failure. More crap to carry but until I could put the dough together for a cab I have two Twins both loaded with some pretty sweet speakers right now. We'll see how it plays out. I have been starting to stack some gigs but I have had many financial setbacks this year already. Maybe I need to busk downtown on my nights off.
The blue angel is a great recommendation.

There is always peavey classic 30s for sale too

I use a kemper for my boomer cover band where i need cleans, edge of breakup, and mid gain.

Honestly the volume works better too, because most places where you need those tones, they will tell you to turn down no matter what tube amp youre using.

I honestly think thats a better way, unless youre in an original 90s alternative rock band or something

The blue angel is a great recommendation.

There is always peavey classic 30s for sale too
The classic 50 was 4x10, so there's that one too. Also the Delta-whatever was the same amp I think but a 1x15 combo. Those amps are kinda built like shit with folded up PC boards so they aren't high on my list but they are really reasonably priced. Not sure if the OP is a solid state guy but the Gibson Lab Series are about the best SS amps I've heard with drive. Really reasonable to acquire to. L5=2x12 L7=4x10 IIRC.

Back