FX loop install woes...

sahlomonic

Ordered a zero loss loop kit from Ceriatone to install on my 2204 (Ceriatone built). Apparently similar to the older Metro loops. Seems like an easy install, but I'm not getting sound.

Loop installed from treble wiper to Master input. Tapped power to the main board from the PI, and used a combo of 2W resistors to drop the voltage to the board (right now I'm at 281v but shooting for 300).

The amp had a passive effects loop prior, and I'm fairly sure I wired the jacks the same way, but man I'm not getting hardly any sound out of this thing - with or without anything plugged in the loop.

SO, until I can get pics uploaded, can someone point me to how I should have the Cliff jacks wired up for an effects loop?

Do you have another amp you could plug a cable from the Send to? In any case, divide and conquer. Try to see if you have signal at the Send. Then if you do it's the Return or the jacks.

Also just try plugging a cable straight from Send to Return.

Do you have another amp you could plug a cable from the Send to? In any case, divide and conquer. Try to see if you have signal at the Send. Then if you do it's the Return or the jacks.

Also just try plugging a cable straight from Send to Return.

So far I'm not getting sound with nothing plugged in (just guitar into amp- no effects), so it seems to be a moot point to try to add signal to the loop. Actually, I do get sound, but it's barely whisper quiet even with the Master volume dimed. Adjusting the trim pot does not change anything.

*It is possible* that I did not build the board correctly. There are no instructions for this, but the board is labeled for all the parts that come with it. This evening I will detach the board from the loop and the power supply, and just create a passive loop to see if that changes anything.

Attachments

• 2204loop.jpg
    2204loop.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 42
You're not adding signal. Just plug a cable from Send of the bad amp to another amp. Plug your guitar into bad amp and see if you are getting signal OUT of the Send. Just knowing that eliminates half of the options.

Well.....

It was a Monday detail that ended up being the culprit! Wire from V1 cathode to Input jack broke off at some point.

I=Idiot.

So now we're cooking with gas. Loop works. It darkens up the tone a little, but that's fine for this amp to be honest. Loop board voltage is around 315, so I'll need to order up some more 2W resistors. Sorting out some buzzing issues now, but it's a downhill battle at this point.

Last edited:
Back