How loud is a cranked Marshall?

My 40W is about 105 dB, so a 100W might be around 110 dB. If you look at Decibel scales that’s really loud.

I’ve thought of doing this.
I’d say in a direct line, it will travel a mile to a mile and a half easily. Depends on your surroundings I’d suppose too.
It definitely depends on the surroundings. Elevation of the cab. Etc.

There is a decibel app you can download. Reminds me to start that thread to 'ask' for everyone's reading :LOL:

Loud enough to attract law enforcement officers.

Whether it attracts law enforcement depends on the...ahem, "quality" of the neighborhood, can confirm

When I lived in the "enriched" and "vibrant" part of town where you could hear Despacito playing at 110db at any time of the day or night, I was able to play the national anthem cranked with 2 100 watters and 2 4x12s

Ladder may be hard to support. I propose a chimney top. :yes:
I used a single one for a long time for my buddy's projector. Drilled a few holes in the top step and screwed in an MDF shelf.

I was actually picturing 2 A-frame ladders bridged by a shelf. If the shelf is screwed-in tightly, it'll minimise lateral movement.

I did this all the time when I was a kid with my first 5150. Roll that bitch to the middle of the road, use a friends wireless , master volume on 3.5 or so….

It’s loud. Way loud.

I'm having trouble buying that the pick attack could be so-clearly audible from 800m and through the trees.

If anything, if the sound made it that far you'd think it'd mostly be wrap-around over the trees, which would mean mostly lows and some mids.

Just thinkin' out 'loud really...

Conversation level volume (50+ dB) around two miles out in ideal open outdoor conditions if starting out with 110dB. High frequencies travel in shorter, but more focused directions. Low frequencies travel further in outward expanding directions. Sound travels faster and further the denser the medium. Some whales can spit bars nearly a thousand miles away under the ocean. Put that cabinet in the ocean and tune down for maximum efficiency.

Decibel readings are extremely affected by distance as has been mentioned. I have a meter hanging on my wall (just for fun) and with plugs in I've seen mine go over 120db with a 2203 before I even got to "5" on the master volume. If I held it right up against the speaker it'd probably hit 130 at the same volume level. It's also worth mentioning both my cheap-o amazon decibel meter and the phone app meters are notoriously inaccurate, +/- 10% or more the actual reading, and there's also a difference between measuring DB "A" "B" or "C." To avoid boring details, DB "A" is closer to the human ear, which perceives lower frequencies as being a little less loud, while DB "C" is a flatter curve (technically more accurate, and also a more expensive tool).

A huge factor I haven't seen mentioned yet is speakers. 4x Vintage 30's are a lot louder than 4x T75's for example. You can tell quickly which speaker is louder at the same input level from the amp by looking at the "sensitivity" spec - even at the same frequencies (of course, perceived loudness will be more with brighter speakers as well)

Wattage of the amp has a lot less to do with it than people might think, 50w for example is only 3db quieter than 100w. However it's also worth mentioning that different amp makers measure output wattage differently - ex. a Marshall JCM800 2203 probably measures closer to 150-160w if you play it with both preamp and master on "10."

No idea how far you could hear it though. Depending on where you live I think it'd be pretty funny to have a friend go a neighborhood or two over, check the distance on google maps or something and see just how far it goes. Just don't play for long or the cops will definitely show up if you're in any kind of town/city. You should do it and report back!

Happy 4th!

I used a single one for a long time for my buddy's projector. Drilled a few holes in the top step and screwed in an MDF shelf.

I was actually picturing 2 A-frame ladders bridged by a shelf. If the shelf is screwed-in tightly, it'll minimise lateral movement.
Like a scaffold. I get it. I was thinking straight ladder and not thinking straight.

Back