How loud is a cranked Marshall?

I measured a 5150 full stack on 6.5 and it topped out at 126dB. This was back in the day when I gigged two 5150 half stacks in stereo. The reason was so that I could leave one rig at a church and another at band practice. Sometimes I ran both in stereo. I did measure the 5150 and that’s what it was. I didn’t measure it at 1 meter away though, so keep that in mind. It was more like 10 meters 😂
That sounds epic. Sorry, but what do you mean by 6.5? Like two o'clock master volume? Ten meter distance 126db, wow, that is massive. I am going to have my mics close to the speaker so it might get over 128db.

Twin with JBL's hit transients as high as 129dB on the kid's I-phone about a foot from the speakers. I would expect a 100 watt Plexi with speakers of similar efficiency to hit a couple more dB than that.
Plexis are quite loud I've heard. Was the Twin cranked?

Plexis are quite loud I've heard. Was the Twin cranked?
Yes. I have a/b'ed a 6550 loaded Plexi RI into 4x12 greenbacks side by side against a late 90's Triple Rec with whatever the Mesa 4x12 was loaded with at that time and it wasn't even a close. The Plexi ate it for lunch.

That sounds epic. Sorry, but what do you mean by 6.5? Like two o'clock master volume? Ten meter distance 126db, wow, that is massive. I am going to have my mics close to the speaker so it might get over 128db.
Yes 6.5/10 or 2:00. Yeah it was pretty awesome. I miss playing that loud all of the time. My wife complains of my hearing loss and these stories remind me why

Thanks, now I know that it is reasonable to assume that closemiking a 100W tubeamp can damage my mic.

We dumped the floyd rose on my buddies 5150 in the same basement and it shook a picture off of a hook hanging on the basement wall and also shook his basement window frame loose. I don’t think people understand how loud these 120W amps are, and I have a 180W coliseum now as well. It can surely damage a mic wide open if the speaker is super efficient or doesn’t fail first 😂

We dumped the floyd rose on my buddies 5150 in the same basement and it shook a picture off of a hook hanging on the basement wall and also shook his basement window frame loose. I don’t think people understand how loud these 120W amps are, and I have a 180W coliseum now as well. It can surely damage a mic wide open if the speaker is super efficient or doesn’t fail first 😂
That's insane. I think you misunderstood what they mean when they talk about dive bombs.

It’s probably been mentioned but while the 2203 is rated 100w nominally, in practice they put out something like 180w or more.

A 100 watt super lead is actually putting out more like 140 - 160 watts cranked. Something like that.

Back