How Well Does The CCV Handle...

se7en

-a JCM 800 tone?

-Plexi tone?

-And how close does it get to the Uberschall sound?

I'm not looking to nail these sounds exactly, but just curious how versatile the amp is. For example, if you can dial in an Uberchall-esque tone with a tighter bass response and more high mids, I could probably sell my Uber, as I could do with a bit less bass and prefer more high mids in my tone. The JCM 800 sound is probably the one out of the 3 mentioned that I'd want to come closest to dialing in exactly.

Btw, I'm aware that the switches on the CCV are supposed to be plexi, 800, and Cameron gain. :D

se7en":2y22d034 said:
-a JCM 800 tone?

-Plexi tone?

-And how close does it get to the Uberschall sound?

I'm not looking to nail these sounds exactly, but just curious how versatile the amp is. For example, if you can dial in an Uberchall-esque tone with a tighter bass response and more high mids, I could probably sell my Uber, as I could do with a bit less bass and prefer more high mids in my tone. The JCM 800 sound is probably the one out of the 3 mentioned that I'd want to come closest to dialing in exactly.

Btw, I'm aware that the switches on the CCV are supposed to be plexi, 800, and Cameron gain. :D
It has a bigger rounder bass than the Twin Jet. Punchier miids as well. There is a taste of Bogner mid voicing in the amp. The Uber has a little more growl but overall the CCV is better imo and has loads of different tones which the Bogner does not.

Sounds good. It's probably much more honest and unforgiving compared to the Uber, right? I hope so...

se7en":1hsfhw58 said:
Sounds good. It's probably much more honest and unforgiving compared to the Uber, right? I hope so...

Exactly. There is hardly any sag in this amp and pretty tight. You got to work at it to loosen it up.

steve_k":3ofk3smv said:
se7en":3ofk3smv said:

Exactly. There is hardly any sag in this amp and pretty tight. You got to work at it to loosen it up.

Cool. That's my gripe with the Uberschall... it covers up some nuances with its sag. At this stage in my playing, I want something that is unforgiving, yet rewarding like the SLO.

se7en":1ukged6c said:
steve_k":1ukged6c said:
se7en":1ukged6c said:

Cool. That's my gripe with the Uberschall... it covers up some nuances with its sag. At this stage in my playing, I want something that is unforgiving, yet rewarding like the SLO.

Everything you didn't like about an Uber or XTC will be opposite with the CCV. The SLO in normal settings is pretty tight, but it is easy to loosen up and saturate it. Much different with the CCV. Even at stupid amounts of gain and clipping, it still remains tight and punchy and projects.....with authority!

Steve

steve_k":gqvt9wm2 said:
se7en":gqvt9wm2 said:
steve_k":gqvt9wm2 said:
se7en":gqvt9wm2 said:

Everything you didn't like about an Uber or XTC will be opposite with the CCV. The SLO in normal settings is pretty tight, but it is easy to loosen up and saturate it. Much different with the CCV. Even at stupid amounts of gain and clipping, it still remains tight and punchy and projects.....with authority!

Steve
It is authoritative for sure. Good decsription. It almost has the feel of a clean amp but yet there is loads of gain and clipping. You can still feel the strings. The EQ options work extremly well with the clipping diodes, (which cut the high end), as they allow you to dial in any amount of brightness, etc, you could ask for.

se7en":60m142v9 said:
steve_k":60m142v9 said:
se7en":60m142v9 said:
How does it sound for low gain stuff?

Low gain....what is that? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Dammit, Steve. I was hoping someone else was gonna respond... :LOL: :LOL: ..I know you don't have much use for it...haha

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I did accidentally switch over to channel 1 while someone had obviously been messing with my amp and it was set to a clean / LG setting. After I figured out there was actually nothing wrong with the amp, I felt better.

Haven't really checked it out too much, but it will certainly work in a LG requirement and clean enough, except for the "Fenderish Chimey" guys. What you have to be careful with is the global EQ punch and presence that you used when dialing up channel 2 to destruction mode. Channel 1 could end up a little punchy and bright, depending on your settings. Same tradeoff you get with most amps.

Steve

se7en":3i7dwh7v said:

I think it sounds great for lower gain. I was pretty surprised at how good the clean was, as well.

jcj":1t8e5z1u said:
se7en":1t8e5z1u said:

I think it sounds great for lower gain. I was pretty surprised at how good the clean was, as well.

Cool. I need a good clean and a nice lower gain tone for Pink Floyd-like stuff.

Btw, your Iphone clip was great...can't wait to hear how it sounds mic'ed up properly. :rock:

Just wanted to add that the CCV is very Plexi-ish. I hear alot more Plexi in it than 800 which is a good thing for me. The lower and mid gains are stellar too. You can dial in pretty much any tone out of this amp. :yes: The thing is, even at really low gain settings notes still bloom into feedback.....awesome. :rock:

LP Freak":1mcpp1kq said:
Just wanted to add that the CCV is very Plexi-ish. I hear alot more Plexi in it than 800 which is a good thing for me. The lower and mid gains are stellar too. You can dial in pretty much any tone out of this amp. :yes: The thing is, even at really low gain settings notes still bloom into feedback.....awesome. :rock:

I agree....good shit, Maynard :D

LP Freak":2k7vdbro said:
Glad your digging the amp Paul.....They are great amps for sure... :rock: :rock: Lots of different tones in this amp.....

splawner":150z1y6x said:
LP Freak":150z1y6x said:
Glad your digging the amp Paul.....They are great amps for sure... :rock: :rock: Lots of different tones in this amp.....
Well I've only been contemplating one for over 2 years now so I guess it was time. :LOL: :LOL:

LP Freak":3mdifpds said:
Well I've only been contemplating one for over 2 years now so I guess it was time. :LOL: :LOL:
I wasn't sure you were sold after trying mine out, but you weren't playing through your cab of choice. How do the Scumbacks work with the CCV? I'm very curious.

Back