Inbound: Custom Plexi Wizard Modern Classic Head & 4x12 Cab

King Guitar

Banned
Spoke with Rick yesterday and he is building me my Wizard now. :)

It is going to be plexi style with black tolex, C Trannies, gold piping, gold panel, gold logos and matching plexi style Wizard 4x12 with Rock 20 speakers and basket weave cane grill (Which Rick tells me is the same rig they tracked Angus with on Black Ice).

Rick said he will do a custom extra gain stage on my amp accessed via a pull push pot on the treble knob which will be a Gain/Saturation boost similar to a Jose/Cameron extra gain stage. :rock:

Cant wait to get it and blend it with my EL34 Bogner 20th Anniversary. Should be a killer combo! Pics and clips after NAMM

rareguitar":22izh8ek said:

It is going to be plexi style with black tolex, C Trannies, gold piping, gold panel, gold logos and matching plexi style Wizard 4x12 with Rock 20 speakers and basket weave grill (Which Rick tells me is the same rig they tracked Angus with on Black Ice).

Rick said he will do a custom extra gain stage on my amp accessed via a pull push pot on the treble knob which will be a Gain/Saturation boost similar to a Jose/Cameron extra gain stage. :rock:

Cant wait to get it and blend it with my EL34 Bogner 20th Anniversary. Should be a killer combo! Pics and clips after NAMM

Got the exact same head and cab coming myself, except for the gain/sat boost. Hey, it should have been shipped already and haven't heard a damn thing. Hope Rick isn't modding mine to make yours! :aww:

Steve

steve_k":3b1t711k said:
rareguitar":3b1t711k said:

It is going to be plexi style with black tolex, C Trannies, gold piping, gold panel, gold logos and matching plexi style Wizard 4x12 with Rock 20 speakers and basket weave grill (Which Rick tells me is the same rig they tracked Angus with on Black Ice).

Got the exact same head and cab coming myself, except for the gain/sat boost. Hey, it should have been shipped already and haven't heard a damn thing. Hope Rick isn't modding mine to make yours! :aww:

Steve

I am sure you are safe :)

rareguitar":7aezbvu2 said:

Sounds like a killer Brad, me want. :rock: Dibs when/ if you sell her. :D :LOL: :LOL:

This sounds killer. Will the extra gain stage affect both channels? I find the lead channel to have a ton of gain. It's not compressed which is why I think some people look for more gain with the amp. I think compression or tightness may be what they are looking for. I'm curious about the extra stage. Are you getting the loop also? Look forward to your thoughts.

rareguitar":179dl9zr said:

Black tolex, brad? Are you sick again?

joshsage":31yci2h8 said:
rareguitar":31yci2h8 said:

Black tolex, brad? Are you sick again?

I have been sick for a very long time. Off of the colors and on the classic plexi color vibe. :thumbsup:

See you at NAMM my friend. :rock:

rareguitar":3tl3q69o said:

Now this I need to know more about !

lespaul6":pi5s4r4t said:
anybody receive their amp yet.....verdict, clips, whatevers :dunno:
Majority are going out this week. Steve_k and Metalhead will probably have theirs first. MH is in Texas, which is 2 days shipping, and steve_k opted for expedited shipping so, its a race!
Josh

:confused: And the rest of us will see them afterwards? Hey if I want can I get you to send mine back because if Brad is getting 1 extra gain push/pull................. :rock: I want 2 or three........ :codeak: :hys: Maybe in a purple headshell and we will call it MERLIN. :thumbsup:

glip22":3hf1r3z9 said:
This sounds killer. Will the extra gain stage affect both channels? I find the lead channel to have a ton of gain. It's not compressed which is why I think some people look for more gain with the amp. I think compression or tightness may be what they are looking for. I'm curious about the extra stage. Are you getting the loop also? Look forward to your thoughts.

I think a lot of people confuse gain with feel/ease of playing. They want it to sound tight and defined but still play like a 5150. :no: I guess that accounts for all of the "gain on 10" postings I see in the "favorite settings" thread. I never ran the gain on my MC 100 past 4 for rhythm and 5 for leads. Of course, I had the master on at least 3 or more (definately not bedroom levels) so maybe that accounts for part of it. I guess if you're not really getting the power section involved you can get away with diming the preamp.

glip22":qmce1uug said:

I believe the gain boost is just on the gain channel. I am not a real high gain guy, more of a AC/DC/Buckcherry/GnR flavor to my tone but I like to have it there if I want it. Should be real cool for leads and recording and with the treble knob in, it is 100% stock Modern Classic so why I figured why not.

rareguitar":j6raxxid said:
glip22":j6raxxid said:

I believe the gain boost is just on the gain channel. I am not a real high gain guy, more of a AC/DC/Buckcherry/GnR flavor to my tone but I like to have it there if I want it. Should be real cool for leads and recording and with the treble knob in, it is 100% stock Modern Classic so why I figured why not.
I think you are really going to like this amp. It does the tones you listed very authentically. I know it was the only amp that Metalhead, who has or had just about every amp under the sun, regretted selling, and just snagged another one from Josh. When I last talked to him, he said there was just a special mojo the Wizard has that he couldn't get with any of the other amps. He told me he was missing that mojo. I'm learning from him, and his several thousands later, and keeping mine. Looking forward to your thoughts on the gain boost. Maybe Rick will add it to mine along with an FX loop. I like a loop, if for nothing else, to add a noise reducer/gate. Not that this amp is noisy. A gate in the loop just silences it.

rareguitar":g31oqqel said:

I have a Metal with a push/pull gain boost. I seldom use it but it's definitely a worthwhile modification. If I were buying another Wizard I'd probably have it installed just because.

wow Brad, congrats man, that sounds like it's going to be fantastic. I can only imagine how cool that gain boost will be, definitely interested to hear how you dig it. :thumbsup:

glip22":3vzvghkg said:
rareguitar":3vzvghkg said:
glip22":3vzvghkg said:

I think you are really going to like this amp. It does the tones you listed very authentically. I know it was the only amp that Metalhead, who has or had just about every amp under the sun, regretted selling, and just snagged another one from Josh. When I last talked to him, he said there was just a special mojo the Wizard has that he couldn't get with any of the other amps. He told me he was missing that mojo. I'm learning from him, and his several thousands later, and keeping mine. Looking forward to your thoughts on the gain boost. Maybe Rick will add it to mine along with an FX loop. I like a loop, if for nothing else, to add a noise reducer/gate. Not that this amp is noisy. A gate in the loop just silences it.

I own Metalheads old Modern Classic. Mine has a 43K resistor mod (changed from the stock 68K) on the inputs...which increases the gain slightly and sounds incredible.

I own Metalheads old Modern Classic. Mine has a 43K resistor mod (changed from the stock 68K) on the inputs...which increases the gain slightly and sounds incredible.

Is this the famous Johny Jellybean mod? How does it change the tone? I'm afraid to open mine up afer Rick told me not to. Changing a couple of resistors is no big deal but if I touch my amp and need Rick's help I will be sol. He told me he would know if I remove the chasis. Long story about when I received the amp second hand. I'm fairly sure Fedex dropped it and damaged a powertube which then arc'd and blew the OT. Rick fixed it, but told me not to open the amp up. I'm curious though how the resistor swap affects the tone.

glip22":1bwt6mle said:

Is this the famous Johny Jellybean mod? How does it change the tone? I'm afraid to open mine up afer Rick told me not to. Changing a couple of resistors is no big deal but if I touch my amp and need Rick's help I will be sol. He told me he would know if I remove the chasis. Long story about when I received the amp second hand. I'm fairly sure Fedex dropped it and damaged a powertube which then arc'd and blew the OT. Rick fixed it, but told me not to open the amp up. I'm curious though how the resistor swap affects the tone.

Yes, it is the Jellybean mod. My understanding is that the lower resistor value increases the gain slightly....I have never played the amp stock (it came with this mod) so I can't compare.

Back