Inbound: Custom Plexi Wizard Modern Classic Head & 4x12 Cab

sswanson":1sgvkqq4 said:
rareguitar":1sgvkqq4 said:
I believe the gain boost is just on the gain channel. I am not a real high gain guy, more of a AC/DC/Buckcherry/GnR flavor to my tone but I like to have it there if I want it. Should be real cool for leads and recording and with the treble knob in, it is 100% stock Modern Classic so why I figured why not.

I have a Metal with a push/pull gain boost. I seldom use it but it's definitely a worthwhile modification. If I were buying another Wizard I'd probably have it installed just because.

Is your gain boost on the lead master pot ? Because if it is, then that sounds like the "Pull Lead Boost", which is now stock on MC's produced in the last 4 - 5 years. The feature Brad mentioned sounds like something new and different, especially since its on the Treble pot, presumably since the amp has the "Pull Lead Boost" feature as well.

I would kill for this mod :rock: +

thegame":3ttfa2ej said:
sswanson":3ttfa2ej said:
rareguitar":3ttfa2ej said:
I believe the gain boost is just on the gain channel. I am not a real high gain guy, more of a AC/DC/Buckcherry/GnR flavor to my tone but I like to have it there if I want it. Should be real cool for leads and recording and with the treble knob in, it is 100% stock Modern Classic so why I figured why not.

I have a Metal with a push/pull gain boost. I seldom use it but it's definitely a worthwhile modification. If I were buying another Wizard I'd probably have it installed just because.

Is your gain boost on the lead master pot ? Because if it is, then that sounds like the "Pull Lead Boost", which is now stock on MC's produced in the last 4 - 5 years. The feature Brad mentioned sounds like something new and different, especially since its on the Treble pot, presumably since the amp has the "Pull Lead Boost" feature as well.

MIne is a recent custom creation of Rick on the treble pot and not the stock pull on the master which is there as well.

thegame":x5g8b7ue said:
sswanson":x5g8b7ue said:
rareguitar":x5g8b7ue said:

Yeah, you're right. I forgot about the pull boost on the Modern Classics. I had one of each for a while (Metal and a Modern Classic) and sold the Modern Classic. I've wanted another one ever since.

The extra boost on the treble pot seems pretty cool, I'd love to hear some clips of that!

sswanson":2wxcxgy2 said:
thegame":2wxcxgy2 said:
sswanson":2wxcxgy2 said:
rareguitar":2wxcxgy2 said:

Yeah, you're right. I forgot about the pull boost on the Modern Classics. I had one of each for a while (Metal and a Modern Classic) and sold the Modern Classic. I've wanted another one ever since.

The extra boost on the treble pot seems pretty cool, I'd love to hear some clips of that!

I wonder what the difference is between the two? :confused:

Lp Freak":2yzmjykm said:
sswanson":2yzmjykm said:
thegame":2yzmjykm said:
sswanson":2yzmjykm said:
rareguitar":2yzmjykm said:

+1

Little bit of feel but mostly a different voicing. My personal preference is the MC although I haven't had the pleasure of trying out a VC yet.

Lp Freak":3qh8xjgc said:
sswanson":3qh8xjgc said:
thegame":3qh8xjgc said:
sswanson":3qh8xjgc said:
rareguitar":3qh8xjgc said:

rareguitar":2zznfh3x said:
Spoke with Rick yesterday and he is building me my Wizard now. :)

It is going to be plexi style with black tolex, C Trannies, gold piping, gold panel, gold logos and matching plexi style Wizard 4x12 with Rock 20 speakers and basket weave cane grill (Which Rick tells me is the same rig they tracked Angus with on Black Ice).

Rick said he will do a custom extra gain stage on my amp accessed via a pull push pot on the treble knob which will be a Gain/Saturation boost similar to a Jose/Cameron extra gain stage. :rock:

Cant wait to get it and blend it with my EL34 Bogner 20th Anniversary. Should be a killer combo! Pics and clips after NAMM

Wow that sounds amazing. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a Wizard for a while, I've just been buying vintage mics instead. Those amps sound authentic to me, they have that kack of the best Marshall you've ever heard. It's nice to have the extra saturation as a push/pull so you don't have to use it. There's something so elegant about an amp like that cranked in more of a traditional gain staging. All that saturation can take away from that, it's nice to have both options. I can't wait to here it Brad. See at the NAMM party.

James

I hope that this mod isn't identical to the 'johnnyjellybean' high gain mod (not my term, but borrowed from others in this thread). I think it took away from the integrity of the tone, by dropping to 43K resistors. It still sounded good, but it was like it lost a little something. I'm sure the in house mod Brad's getting will not be identical to the one I did. I'm definitely sending mine in to have it done though. Gotta play on it as is for awhile first though before I have to part with my baby again! Wizards rule! :rock:

Metalhead":2rktffhh said:
I hope that this mod isn't identical to the 'johnnyjellybean' high gain mod (not my term, but borrowed from others in this thread). I think it took away from the integrity of the tone, by dropping to 43K resistors. It still sounded good, but it was like it lost a little something. I'm sure the in house mod Brad's getting will not be identical to the one I did. I'm definitely sending mine in to have it done though. Gotta play on it as is for awhile first though before I have to part with my baby again! Wizards rule! :rock:
I know, I'm dying to hear the extra gain mod on Brads. From the description, it's a whole gain stage added though, so completely different from the input resistor mod. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the input resistor mod, since I really like being able to boost the Wizard with my choice of pedals. I've found some amps I've owned, where they have that boosted input, don't really get along with boosts that well. I like having the option of using whatever boost pedal I want, while still being able to play unboosted with the original tone. I think mine is going back for this new gain mod too however, it just sounds too friggin cool. I know Rick wouldn't add anything that messed with the original Wizard's tone, so the push/pull must completely bypass it for the stock sound. He's going to get a flood of amps to mod after this thread! :LOL: :LOL: :rock:

Erock":3j22h6j9 said:
Metalhead":3j22h6j9 said:
I know, I'm dying to hear the extra gain mod on Brads. From the description, it's a whole gain stage added though, so completely different from the input resistor mod. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the input resistor mod, since I really like being able to boost the Wizard with my choice of pedals. I've found some amps I've owned, where they have that boosted input, don't really get along with boosts that well. I like having the option of using whatever boost pedal I want, while still being able to play unboosted with the original tone. I think mine is going back for this new gain mod too however, it just sounds too friggin cool. I know Rick wouldn't add anything that messed with the original Wizard's tone, so the push/pull must completely bypass it for the stock sound. He's going to get a flood of amps to mod after this thread! :LOL: :LOL: :rock:
My modded amp does very well with pedals in front and on my amp, there was NO change in "the integrity" or anything else in the actual tone of the amp. It should be noted that I also go to longplate pre-tubes which also affected the sound of the mod. By lowering the resistance at the input, I find that not only does it have more gain than my stocker but the harmonics come on a lot sooner in the notes and it seems to have more harmonic content. Between the 2 different trannies and the gain and resonance mod, my 2 MC100's sound quite different. Both are absolutley wonderful sounding amps and I really can't decide which I like better.

johnnyjellybean":ah4lt7dd said:
My modded amp does very well with pedals in front and on my amp, there was change in "the integrity" or anything else in the actual tone of the amp. It should be noted that I also go to longplate pre-tubes which also affected the sound of the mod. By lowering the resistance at the input, I find that not only does it have more gain than my stocker but the harmonics come on a lot sooner in the notes and it seems to have more harmonic content. Between the 2 different trannies and the gain and resonance mod, my 2 MC100's sound quite different. Both are absolutley wonderful sounding amps and I really can't decide which I like better.
ahh, interesting. Yeah, I have no experience with it, just going off amps I've owned that seemed to have the input already boosted. So this was your original mod, both the gain and resonance, or was this a mod done by Wizard? I would be afraid to mod mine without it going thru Rick, but that does sound pretty interesting indeed.

No offense by the way Mr. Jellybean (which I think is really Steve). That's just what my ears heard. All amps seem to be a little different, but superunknown (that sneaky little devil! :LOL: :LOL: ) has that exact amp and loves it, so evidently it worked out. Just didn't want anybody thinking his methods were off or anything. 4 more days and it's here! :rock: :rock: :rock:

My new MC100 leaving 601 and headed to me now....Josh had a romp on it for me before heading this way. The matching cab came too but will be along in a couple weeks.

Steve

Attachments

• MC1002.jpg
    MC1002.jpg
    607.4 KB · Views: 9,364
steve_k":2km532n6 said:
My new MC100 leaving 601 and headed to me now....Josh had a romp on it for me before heading this way. The matching cab came too but will be along in a couple weeks.

Steve

662 brother!!! We changed like 15 years ago. Mississippi is growing haha

joshsage":1pqghtk0 said:
steve_k":1pqghtk0 said:

Steve

662 brother!!! We changed like 15 years ago. Mississippi is growing haha

no shit? no wonder all these stump-jumpers over here don't answer to 601 anymore! :D

steve

Back