Is this cab fixable? Updated with inside pics and updated again with progress pics

OldGtrGuy

Got my cab in the mail today and what a bummer. Just my luck. Very annoying, the thing is falling apart but it still sounds really good. I can't imagine that giant split not affecting the sound though. What do you guys think?

I have to wait 2 days to see what Sweetwater is going to say but maybe if they offer a VERY large refund and this thing is fixable I'd keep it?

https://imgbb.com/

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: rsm
Junk. Send it to me for proper disposal. On the otherhand I would imagine some titebond and a few well placed clamps should do the trick. You might want to heat up the tolex and pull it back a little bit to stay out of the way and then repair it afterwards. Edit: You may also find some excess tolex somewhere hidden (back of cab/behind handles/etc..) that you can cut away to reuse if you need it for the affected area.

Did you buy it new? If so, I'd just have Sweetwater replace it. But, as the others have said, should be an easy enough fix with some glue and clamps. Just make sure when you clamp it, that you put something between the clamp and the tolex to spread the clamping force out over a much larger area, or you're going to get some nasty indentations in the tolex.

Did you buy it new? If so, I'd just have Sweetwater replace it. But, as the others have said, should be an easy enough fix with some glue and clamps. Just make sure when you clamp it, that you put something between the clamp and the tolex to spread the clamping force out over a much larger area, or you're going to get some nasty indentations in the tolex.
I got it used from Sweetwater, it wasn't from the customer used section but directly under the Sweetwater ubercab purchase section as having a used one in stock.

No pictures, spoke to a sales guy on the phone he said there are no issues at all. I'm sure UPS dropped it hard.

Last edited:
Junk. Send it to me for proper disposal. On the otherhand I would imagine some titebond and a few well placed clamps should do the trick. You might want to heat up the tolex and pull it back a little bit to stay out of the way and then repair it afterwards. Edit: You may also find some excess tolex somewhere hidden (back of cab/behind handles/etc..) that you can cut away to reuse if you need it for the affected area.
Send address, I'll have my courier deliver soon

Called pipe clamps, home depot and lowes have them.
Thanks, I'll check it out.

I doubt it's going to work out for me because the only way I'd keep it willingly is if they offer a very large partial refund.

I have no idea what they're going to say as it was bought as a used item.

Sounds like you're not able to swap it out for a new one. It is fixable, but you'll need a little more than just glue and clamp it. It's possible everything was knocked out of square or the baffle shifted and the side won't clamp all the way tight.

You'll need to take the back off and the baffle out. Then work glue into the crack and clamp it down making sure to keep everything square. Once that's set up put the baffle back in. Then reinforce the corner with a 3/4" to 1" square piece glued and nailed/screwed into the corner. Note: You need to put the baffle in first because you won't get it past that reinforcement piece once in. That should take care if it an make it a strong fix.

Here's a pic of a cab I built that illustrates the bracing piece I'm talking about. And keep in mind the tear in the tolex will always show unless you completely recover it.

1711843675705.png

quick fix ........ glue and clamp .....

to really fix it .....I would strip the tolex .... drill holes and use dowels to reattach ...

or counter sink some screws then plug the holes ... sand and re tolex ...

Here's a pic of a cab I built that illustrates the bracing piece I'm talking about. And keep in mind the tear in the tolex will always show unless you completely recover it.

View attachment 299862
Thanks, thats the "baffle" you mentioned earlier? Sorry this is way beyond my expertise but if SW is willing to work something out OR if I get completely shafted I'll try to repair.

The baffle is the front piece the speakers are mount to.
Ahh ok thanks, I really appreciate the info. Will see what SW says. I'm fully expecting them to not offer me what I want but I hope they at least take it back then I'll just pay more $$$ and buy a new model.

quick fix ........ glue and clamp .....

to really fix it .....I would strip the tolex .... drill holes and use dowels to reattach ...

or counter sink some screws then plug the holes ... sand and re tolex ...

I was about to post this as a second option for a strong fix with retolexing being optional since that's aesthetic

Back